Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RifleGuy View Post
    Years ago I was at the corner of Michigan Ave. and Livernois one night.. .shortly after midnight. I was intending to stop at the Tel-way and grab a bag of gut bombs. I had a car in front of me, a car behind me, and my window was down because it was screaming hot that night and that particular vehicle hadn't had functional A/C in about 4 years.
    I saw movement from the corner of my eye and turned to see a scurfy-looking person indigenous to the area making a beeline to my open window. He had something in his clenched fist. I did a fat guy lean, drew my pistol and held it just below the window ledge. My new friend spotted the movement and loudly said, "You gonna shoot me!"
    I told him, "That is entirely up to you."
    The gent turned and scurried away. We never did get to discuss his intentions.

Since that day I have been very attentive to maintaining maneuvering room at intersections, I keep my doors locked, my pistol accessible, my windows up when not in motion, and I am not above rolling through a stop sign if it seems warranted.

I did recently stop in the same neighborhood to purchase some amazing tomatoes from an older gentleman dealing out of the bed of his pickup truck. Very pleasant gent, with an old side-by-side shotgun tucked discretely in the bed of his truck, beneath some empty tomato boxes. Not much can get me out of my car down there, but a basket of perfect tomatoes is decent bait.
    Ive been in a similar situation. 7 mile and schaefer when I was in college, working at the credit union. At the time I drove a late model Audi, no tints, nothing flashy, but definitely a car that stood out in that neighborhood. I was driving on 7 mile towards the lodge and as Im pulling up to a red light, 2 black SUVs, one cuts me off and stops, and the other pulls up to the side of me, so I couldnt maneuver out of the lane. I rolled the window down and pulled my gun out with the quickness. The SUV on the side quickly slammed on the gas and jumped onto shaefer and I floored it around the second car and did about 65 until I got to the lodge...

When I cut through the service drive in the mornings, most of the time I dont stop at many stop signs or intersections. Ive seen cops do the same and followed their lead in detroit. Some areas are simply not safe enough to stop.

that car also had an awesome "wedge" of space between the seat and the arm rest, that I stuck a pocket holster into, and could hide my sig perfectly for a quick draw from in the car.

I am a Forum User
    I have a Ace Case nylon OWB
    has a very strong clip and the clip can be changed from one side to the other
    has a space for an extra mag.
    https://acecase.com/

Quote Originally Posted by focused313 View Post
    well...I want to be offended, but the truth is, I'm very aware while driving through Detroit, specifically certain neighborhoods and depending on the car I'm driving. I will admit, in my Monte Carlo or Chevelle, I drove with my pistol on my lap...or at the very least, wedged between my seat and the center console. I'm from Detroit so I know how it can be, especially at night. I 100% agree with keeping an exit strategy. Never go to fast food places that don't have an EXIT lane. I try to keep 5 feet or so, but if it's a bump and jack, the car in front will try to hit your car into the car in front of yours so lock you in.
    I meant no offense; I apologize. Just an observation that in every crime-ridden neighborhood there are scruffy characters loitering about that just seem a natural part of the environment. Kinda like going to the (former) Gibraltar Trade Center in Taylor; there were always guys walking around in dirty wife beater t-shirts, with a mullet, and a negatively biased tooth-to-tattoo ratio. Those guys just belonged there. The scurffy guy lingering in a dark doorway along Michigan Ave. just seemed to be a natural extension of that neighborhood. No different than the poor souls I see living out of a shopping cart in the doorway of burned out buildings along the Ave; they just belong.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by RifleGuy View Post
    I meant no offense; I apologize. Just an observation that in every crime-ridden neighborhood there are scruffy characters loitering about that just seem a natural part of the environment. Kinda like going to the (former) Gibraltar Trade Center in Taylor; there were always guys walking around in dirty wife beater t-shirts, with a mullet, and a negatively biased tooth-to-tattoo ratio. Those guys just belonged there. The scurffy guy lingering in a dark doorway along Michigan Ave. just seemed to be a natural extension of that neighborhood. No different than the poor souls I see living out of a shopping cart in the doorway of burned out buildings along the Ave; they just belong.
    no offense taken. I'm from Detroit. I'm not a "thug" or anything of the sort, but I've been shot at 3 different times. I've had my car stolen once and two women who were visiting me had their cars stolen when I lived near Wayne State. My mom has her purse stolen out of her car when she came to visit me when I lived near 7 mile and Woodward. My grandma has had her house broken into 3 times. Statistics don't lie...neither does personal experience. I'm careful about labeling the entire city like that, but geesh.

no offense taken. I'm from Detroit. I'm not a "thug" or anything of the sort, but I've been shot at 3 different times. I've had my car stolen once and two women who were visiting me had their cars stolen when I lived near Wayne State. My mom has her purse stolen out of her car when she came to visit me when I lived near 7 mile and Woodward. My grandma has had her house broken into 3 times. Statistics don't lie...neither does personal experience. I'm careful about labeling the entire city like that, but geesh.
    Its a single digit percentage, but those guys do not exist in Bloomfield hills, or harsens island, northville, armada.

Every third gas station in Detroit has "that guy".

7 & Woodward is a tough neighborhood. I frequent the salvage yard at 6 & Woodward. I usually take a friend when I'm down there.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123