Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vista-outdoor-on-22-ammo-supply-up-demand-down-price-down

Arizona -(Ammoland.com)- The new .22 rimfire plant in Lewiston, Idaho, is on line. Vista Outdoors owns the CCI and Federal rimfire brands. They have increased production for both brands by 20 percent.

With end of the Obama administration, the .22 ammunition bubble is deflating. Most stores have ammunition available. Prices are coming down.

From the Lewiston Tribune, November 10th, 2017:

Parts of Vista's approach have worked well, such as investing in infrastructure and preserving market share, Metz said.

Vista recently debuted a new, 37,000-square-foot, $35 million rimfire ammunition plant near the Lewiston-Nez Perce County Regional Airport, which has resulted in what company officials describe as a “very satisfying” reduction in the time needed to complete an order.

“It pays dividends when you come out of the trough,” Metz said. “We're able to make some changes in our facilities that will enable us to participate really strongly as the market returns.”

Vista Outdoor has reduced ammunition prices to maintain market share as its customers work through stockpiles they amassed under the administration of Barack Obama – when they feared new regulation that never came to pass.”We're the market leader in rimfire,” Nolan said. “Brand preference in ammunition tends to be somewhat sticky. It took us a long time to gain our market share. … We are loathe to cede that during a period of challenging pricing because it's going to be very difficult to get that back.”

The ammunition manufacturers, such as Vista Outdoors, do not want to lower prices. As with any manufacturer, life is easy and smooth when both prices and demand are high. But the market does not guarantee that prices and demand will remain high. Only force, in the form of government granted monopolies, or collusion, as with the OPEC cartel, can do that. Neither of those things exist in the United States, where a mostly free market in ammunition is enforced.

The CCI and Federal brands have an enviable reputation for reliability and quality. They have customer loyalty because of that. Stephen Nolan refers to this when he speaks of brand preference being “somewhat sticky”. Market competition works. Aguila of Mexico saw opportunity and increased their production before Vista Outdoors did. Aguila almost doubled their production to capture some of the increasing American market. That is reflected in the availability and price structure seen today. Aguila's brands are at the lowest price point in the market. Vista has to reduce prices to keep market share. Federal low price brands are in direct competition with Aguila.

The lowest prices are now at 3.7 – 4 cents per round.
    https://www.ammoland.com/2017/11/vis...#axzz4yz1gqmHB

I am a Forum User
    If you're not stocking up, then don't whine the next time you can't find any

I am a Forum User
    im ok with 22lr prices coming down, they were getting a little high there for a while

I am a Forum User
    Too bad CCI Stinger is $800 per 4,000 rounds.

But it is what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MGO Member
    Good to see reasonable prices again on 22 ammo. Can now shoot up some of the stuff I bought before Obama and replace it.

I've been buying Norma TAC which is excellent target/practice ammo for ~$0.07/rd this fall and, see Mini Mags with the lead bullet for $0.07-$0.11/rd offered on line most everywhere.

I have had no trouble keeping at least 2000-3000 rds on hand for the last 20 yrs or so with ~7000rd on hand at the moment, but I shoot std velocity almost exclusively, and most of it European stuff which every one seems to ignore since it is a couple pennies more then domestic blasting ammo. I shoot a 22 of some flavor almost every range trip, 150 rds yesterday through my Marvel 1911 conversion, I don't just sit on them.

If prices continue to drop and supply improves more it hopefully will encourage more people to buy and shoot 22's. Cheap guns and ammo should mean more practice which helps us all.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by 991RSR3.8 View Post
    Too bad CCI Stinger is $800 per 4,000 rounds.

But it is what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wait until more stores get them back in stock. Normal prices are ~$6 per 50rnds or ~$590 per 5k. Anyone charging $800 for 4000 is gouging hard.

Aguila may have ramped up production, but their .22lr is still GARBAGE!!! I watched it continuously short stroke 6 different .22lr handguns in a row one day. I picked a large brick of Aguila HV .22lr awhile back and all my semi-auto .22s HATE it! It's been delegated to use in my Henry lever action...

Hopefully CCI .22 comes down a bit more. It's truly the gold standard!

Quote Originally Posted by Cocowheats View Post
    Hopefully CCI .22 comes down a bit more. It's truly the gold standard!

$0.07 - $0.08/rd cheap enough?
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/13...ead-round-nose
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Tell Me No Lies, I'll ask you No Questions"

NRA Life Member
    MGO Member

NRA RSO

NRA CRSO
    MOC Member

Unless otherwise noted, my posts represent my personal opinion, and are not an official position, opinion, or endorsement by MGO or the MGO BOD.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast