Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Sessions orders review of background check system for guns

About time,considering the recent failures that cost lives.
    Before any new laws are considered,we need to enforce the ones we already have.

Sessions orders review of background check system for guns

By Sadie Gurman
    Associated Press
    November 23rd. 2017

WASHINGTON (AP) — Attorney General Jeff Sessions on Wednesday ordered a far-ranging review of the FBI database used to check the backgrounds of prospective gun buyers, after the Air Force failed to report the criminal history of the gunman who slaughtered more than two dozen people at a Texas church.

The failure enabled him to buy weapons, purchases his domestic violence conviction should have barred.

Sessions directed the FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to determine if other government agencies are failing to report information to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System. He also wants a report detailing the number of times the agencies investigate and prosecute people for lying on their gun-purchase applications and a closer look at the format of the application itself.

He also wants a report detailing the number of times the agencies investigate and prosecute people for lying on their gun-purchase applications and a closer look at the format of the application itself.
    We have been asking that question for about 2 decades!

The problem has also caught the attention Republican and Democratic lawmakers, who joined forces on legislation that aims to strengthen the database by ensuring federal agencies and states accurately report relevant criminal information to the FBI.
    What about a little work to also REMOVE those that should not be prohibited in the database?

This seems to be a one-way street, tighten up the mesh in the net, but don't check to see if it is only the tuna you are catching.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    We have been asking that question for about 2 decades!

What about a little work to also REMOVE those that should not be prohibited in the database?

This seems to be a one-way street, tighten up the mesh in the net, but don't check to see if it is only the tuna you are catching.
    Good analogy.

I am a Forum User
    How about some sort of REAL penalty for those that put people on the list that don't belong there?
    And a report made PUBLIC as to how many people were wrongfully denied purchase of a firearm because of a mistake on the database.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

sorry charlie. this is probably the best we're going to get for a while.
    but it is a win for actual gun safety because of an AG appointed by a "republican" president.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

MGO Member
    Also, how about penalties for not reporting, less prosecutorial discretion in charging prohibited people who knowingly attempt to purchase. Let's also add mandatory long prison terms for straw purchasers. People will be less likely to buy a gun for cousin Roscoe if they knew they'd get an automatic 15 years for doing so.
    Washtenaw Sportsman's Club member
    NRA Certified RSO (Thanks MGO)
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by hendo View Post
    Also, how about penalties for not reporting, less prosecutorial discretion in charging prohibited people who knowingly attempt to purchase. Let's also add mandatory long prison terms for straw purchasers. People will be less likely to buy a gun for cousin Roscoe if they knew they'd get an automatic 15 years for doing so.
    That one is not as cut and dried as others. The line between a gift and a "straw purchase" is not a clearly defined one, and it is not applied evenly. In the case of firearms, a transaction that would be legal for any other object could land you in trouble.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

MGO Member
    That one is not as cut and dried as others. The line between a gift and a "straw purchase" is not a clearly defined one, and it is not applied evenly. In the case of firearms, a transaction that would be legal for any other object could land you in trouble.
    I agree with that statement. I would refine it to someone who buys for someone they know is a felon or prohibited person.
    This crap doesn't help either.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fbi-remov...120612706.html
    Washtenaw Sportsman's Club member
    NRA Certified RSO (Thanks MGO)
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by hendo View Post
    How about we start respecting the 2nd Amendment and natural rights.

Why not just get rid of all, and I do mean ALL!, gun control laws and just take any convicted criminal/nut who uses a gun while committing a crime out behind the courthouse and put a 9mm between the eyes and let them fall into their coffin. Or ordinary folks shooting a criminal/nut using a gun in the commission of a crime at the moment it is happening. Either way the problem is solved and there is one other benefit that no one can dispute and that is if the criminal/nut is shot immediately upon conviction or during the crime itself society will be safer since the criminal/nut will never ever do harm to another innocent because they are too dead to do it again.

Oh wait..... logic just isn't politically correct now a days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast