Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Difference between Steel Case and Brass Case?

I'm just getting into the whole shooting thing. See here for my first handgun. However, I wanted to know what the difference between the steel case and brass case outside of the obvious metal difference used, if any.

Steel on right. Brass on left. Correct?

Thanks!

I am a Forum User
    Some people say that the steel cases are impossible to reload. I have heard they're not impossible, just more difficult. There is some thought that the steel cases cause more wear and stress on the weapon.

I am a Forum User
    there are some manufacters like spring field inthere XD line that states the war ranty is void if you shoot steel. and other wepons like ARs, the steel case will completely ruen your upper. yeah steel is cheaper and easier to find for the most part, but I use brass.

Account Closed
    Brass is a much softer metal than steel. Brass rubbing against steel almost acts like its own lubricant. When a brass casing it cycled though your magazines, feed ramps, and barrel chambers, it causes little if any wear. The steel being a harder metal, holds up against the brass, and if any wear takes place, its on the brass, not the gun's steel.

Some shell casings are made of aluminum, and may look like steel. Aluminum is also softer than steel, so the same applies.

Steel casings can cause greater wear on your weapons. It's steel against steel. Wolf coats some of their steel shell casings with somethin like clear lacquer or acrylic to prevent rust and reduce wear. However I would think it might tend to melt at high temperatures and eventually gum up the works. I've never used them, so I don't know.

I am a Forum User
    Remember that the steel used in these casings is softer then the steel used in your gun...

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeywhat
    Remember that the steel used in these casings is softer then the steel used in your gun...
    .... but still harder than brass. Some manufacturers of steel CASED ammo are now coating it in polymer. This is, as I understand it, more like a plastic coating (thinking nylon or teflon for comparison). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymer The polymer cased ammo seems to be more popular.

I am a Forum User
    There's a lot of moving parts in your gun that are steel against steel. Your steel slide slides against a steel frame or rails, the firing pin is hit with a steel hammer or striker slides against steel...

I know of quite a few people who run a lot of steel through their guns with no real issues. I've probably put a couple thousand downrange and haven't noticed a difference in wear between those guns and my brass only guns.

Account Closed
    Very true.

Account Closed
    There's a lot of moving parts in your gun that are steel against steel. Your steel slide slides against a steel frame or rails, the firing pin is hit with a steel hammer or striker slides against steel...

I know of quite a few people who run a lot of steel through their guns with no real issues. I've probably put a couple thousand downrange and haven't noticed a difference in wear between those guns and my brass only guns.
    Also very true. I just prefer not to use it in my gun. I compare it to using regular oil, or synthetic oil in your car. If it's a 3-year lease, or you plan on selling it in a few years, why spend the extra money. But if you want to baby it and make it last as long as possible, spend the extra money for better quality.

Quote Originally Posted by glock_cop_22
    there are some manufacters like spring field inthere XD line that states the war ranty is void if you shoot steel. and other wepons like ARs, the steel case will completely ruen your upper. yeah steel is cheaper and easier to find for the most part, but I use brass.
    That is absolutely false. Only reloads, handloads, or remanufactured ammo violates the warranty.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/as...s/warranty.pdf

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast