Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1st muzzleloader...How about this one?

Looking to buy my first Muzzleloader. I'll be heading past Cabela's tomorrow and noticed the attachment below. Sounds like a decent setup for the price. I had wanted to keep this in the $350 to $400 range INCLUDING all the components and misc crap I'm going to need.

It's a Traditions Pursuit LT Ambush with a scope for $249, here's the link....
    http://www.cabelas.com/p-0064865217008a.shtml

Here is the product description.....
    Product Description
    Pursuit breakopen muzzleloaders are earning respect from hunters across the country for their consistent shooting performance and easytouse design. The breakopen action allows you to prime the muzzleloader quickly. It also reduces cleaning time and ensures a tight seal for positive 209 shotgun primer ignition, even in foul weather. To clean, just open the action, remove the breech plug and clean straight through. Incorporating a Double Safety System, Pursuit muzzleloaders are among the safest available. A crossblock trigger safety is built into the trigger guard just like a standard rifle or shotgun safety. The second safety is built into the hammer that blocks the firing pin from igniting the primer if the trigger has not been pulled. Projectile Alignment System is one of the secrets behind these muzzleloaders' consistent accuracy. The end of the barrel is bored only 3/8" to allow the projectile to be aligned perfectly with the rifling each time the muzzleloader is loaded. This also ensures the barrels shoot consistently with a variety of powder charges and different projectiles. The exposed hammer has a hammer spur to accomodate both rightand lefthand shooters. This allows you to cock the gun with a scope mounted. All barrels have 1in28" twist rifling. Fiberoptic sights. Drilled and tapped for a scope. Sling swivel studs. Aluminum ramrod included. .50 caliber only. Available: The Pursuit LT Ambush comes with a 27x32 scope. Scope and stock come in Mossy Oak Treestand. 26" nickel barrel.

The reviews I've seen of it seem favorable. I don't want to go crazy with this purchase, if I can save some money and actually get a few seasons under my belt, I'll be happy. If I like it as much as I think I will, I can drop more cash on the next gun a few years from now, and actually know what I want from my experience.

My hunting will be in North East Lower. Woods, with a few openings, most shots would be 50 to 150 yards, not many opportunities past 200 yards.

Any constructive feedback would be greatly appreciated, but hurry LOL, going to look at this one tomorrow.

MGO Member
    I don't have any specific experience with the Traditions Pursuit LT Ambush, but for what its worth, I'd say save the 100+ yard shots for a centerfire rifle. The 50 cal muzzle loader is effected by all the variables much more. Also, if you don't own any muzzle loaders, I've seen several on this site for less than, some even much less than $100.00 that would get you into muzzle loading for almost nothing. Everyone with a muzzle loader has an opinion, on the topic, but for me, I've never used pyrodex, or pellets and don't regret it one bit. I roll with REAL black powder, and that's it.

I am a Forum User
    I dont know squat about muzzle loaders but it sure LOOKS cool

I am a Forum User
    I've got a Thompson Center that I bought about 10 years ago and I love it. Things have changed with the 209 ignition since then.
    The one piece of muzzle loader advice that I CAN give you is this: MAKE SURE YOU CLEAN IT EVERY TIME YOU SHOOT IT!
    That black powder is worse than battery acid when it comes to corrosives. It will pit your barrel if you put it way dirty.

Have fun, you'll love the smoke plume!

Side Arm

I am a Forum User
    Don't know much about inlines. I prefer the classic side-locks with black powder. The reviews seems decent and looks like a decent price for a first muzzle loader. Only other thing I would add is to not expect the scope that comes with it to last too long. Cheap scopes are generally just that...cheap.

Thanks for the responses so far. I'm not expecting long shots of 200 yards, or for this to be a stellar scope, so I think I should be OK with it. What I really want is to just get a start, find out what I like/don't like, and get past a few seasons. I'll get a look at it tomorrow, but I'm thinking a setup like this would do what I want.

I am a Forum User
    Get one with a thumb hole stock

Pursuit XLT if you can find one

Thats what I have and its an awesome gun

These are the newer ones

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1

Check Dicks

Thats where I got mine. Pursuit I XLT

I am a Forum User
    Mine right here

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=135383085

(Not mine that I'm selling, but same gun)

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey9019
    Get one with a thumb hole stock

Pursuit XLT if you can find one

Thats what I have and its an awesome gun

These are the newer ones

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1

Check Dicks

Thats where I got mine. Pursuit I XLT
    Thanks for the input. It at least seems like I'm on the right track. I'll give'em all a once over and go from there. Curious to see how that pistol grip feels and what kind of package prices I can find. Going to 2 or 3 places tomorrow and comparing.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongo
    Thanks for the input. It at least seems like I'm on the right track. I'll give'em all a once over and go from there. Curious to see how that pistol grip feels and what kind of package prices I can find. Going to 2 or 3 places tomorrow and comparing.

It feels like Carrie Underwoods left...

Yessir

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast