Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Firearm purchase from private owner/seller

When purchasing a handgun from a private seller i kmow that buyer is to provide documentation such as a PP or cpl to legally purchase, does the seller need to provide anything to the buyer to prove they are the actual/registered owner of the firearm they are selling?
    I'm asking, because how would the buyer know if they are purchasing a stolen firearm or not. Imagine turning in a completed pp and receiving a call a few days later from the police informing you just purchased a firearm that was reported stolen.
    Last edited by il Padrino; 03-11-2010 at 01:22 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by il Padrino
    When purchasing a handgun from a private seller i kmow that buyer is to provide documentation such as a PP or cpl to legally purchase, does the seller need to provide anything to the buyer to prove they are the actual/registered owner of the firearm they are selling?
    I'm asking, because how would the buyer know if they are purchasing a stolen firearm or not. Imagine turning in a completed pp and receiving a call a few days later from the police informing you just purchased a firearm that was reported stolen.
    If you are worried about it, and the seller doesn't have the "green" safety inspection card, have the guy meet you at the PD. I would imagine they would be willing to run the gun for you,and also if the seller is shady, he wouldn't want that to happen so he might act a little funny. My .02.

I am a Forum User
    If you are worried, you can ask the seller to meet you at the police station and pony up a $1 (or whatever their "nominal fee may be) to have their records clerk run an inquiry on the serial number. If you get the serial number, you may be able to do the inquiry yourself, but every time I've done it, they would only provide the "inquiry" printout to the registered owner.

Seeing the green/yellow card or an RI-60 from the seller doesn't necessarily prove the gun is "clean" though as they are pretty easy to fake if the seller were motivated to do so.

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator esq_stu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hopeitsfast
    I would imagine they would be willing to run the gun for you,and also if the seller is shady, he wouldn't want that to happen so he might act a little funny. My .02.
    I have not done this, but it sounds like a reasonable approach. Call the PD first and ask whether they'll run a check before your try and register it.
    All the best,

--esq_stu
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home

The above comments are not intended to be and do not constitute legal advice to anyone.

I am a Forum User

at the p.d.

all my privet sale were done in the O.C.S.D. records parking lot. we went in did the paper work came back out exchanged cash for goods. then we went on our merry way. i figure if its a shady deal the shady party would not want to do the deal right on the p.d.'s front doorstep so if it cant be done there i wont do it. also its only one trip.

MGO Member Forum User
    opps
    Last edited by rayban; 03-31-2010 at 07:08 AM.

Banned Forum User
    Yes you are as it sounds like the gun is a handgun. I would advise you to return the gun to him ASAP as you violated federal laws under the Gun Control Act of 1968.

Delete your post also as you are admitting to......ehhhh federal felony?
    Last edited by pgaplayerless; 03-31-2010 at 07:18 AM.

MGO Member
    One local gunshop will not take a trade without a green card. I know, I had to drive 60 mi home to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by pgaplayerless
    Yes you are as it sounds like the gun is a handgun. I would advise you to return the gun to him ASAP as you violated federal laws under the Gun Control Act of 1968.

Delete your post also as you are admitting to......ehhhh federal felony?

Please explain.

Banned Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Diverdave
    Please explain.

Negative. I'm not incriminating another member. (rayban)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast