Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Exclamation Help Fight City of Lansing's Illegal Ordinances on Febuary 7, 2011

Note to Community:

I am a member and the Deputy Regional Coordinator for Michigan Open Carry, Inc. Please allow this cross post from OpenCarry.org's & MichiganOpenCarry.org's forums. Please consider marking this item sticky and/or moving it to a more appropriate area of the Forum.

----------------------------------------------------------

(Website)library1.municode.com:80/default-now/template.htm?view=browse&doc_action=setdoc&doc_key type=tocid&doc_key=3f5a4e0cd49daa8e2b7d65985270131 6&infobase=13231
    Lansing Local Ordinances Chapter 696 are on the books despite MCL 123.1102.

I have been to the Lansing City Council on a previous occasion to educate them about how their ordinances (specifically Sections 2, 3, and 5) violate MCL 123.1102. the impression I got from them is they feel no need to change their laws. They also told me if a member of the LPD mistakenly enforces one of these ordinances -- well, "that's why [the city] has liability insurance".

Please consider joining me on February 7, 2011 @ 7:00 PM in Downtown Lansing, across the Capitol Building, in Lansing City Hall as I once again approach them to discuss their ordinances. Last time, I was a lone voice in the crowd. I'm hoping at least 20 people between MGO, MOC, and OCDO will join me and stand with me to echo the message that their ordinances are not okay!

It has been pointed out in the past Section 5 is about a college, which isn't covered by preemption. However, this is about a city's ordinance, not a college's ordinance or policy.

To Summarize:

When: February 7th, 2011 @ 7:00 PM
    Where: City Hall, 124 W Michigan Avenue, Lansing, MI; 10th floor
    Why: Lansing Local Ordinances Chapter 696 (Sections 2, 3, and 5)
    Special Note: There is a Court in the City Hall, as such the whole building is ordered by the Court to be a Weapons Free (Including Firearms) Zone under penalty of contempt of Court. Metal detectors are at the entry.

Please let me know via PM or posting in this thread if you plan to attend.
    Last edited by TheQ; 01-03-2011 at 11:58 PM.

I am a Forum User
    I've been down this road with Lansing PD before in the 10 years I lived there.
    Bottom line is they don't care and pretty much refuse to listen or change.

Maybe a larger crowd would get their attention but I doubt it.

Good luck.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedfs
    I've been down this road with Lansing PD before in the 10 years I lived there.
    Bottom line is they don't care and pretty much refuse to listen or change.

Maybe a larger crowd would get their attention but I doubt it.

Good luck.
    Will you join me?

I am a Forum User
    I work midnights and will not be able to.

I am a Forum User
    696.02. Carrying weapons in public places. No person shall carry any firearm, air rifle, bow and arrow, slingshot, crossbow or other dangerous weapon in any public place, subject to the following exceptions:

(a) When it is in a case and is not loaded;

(b) In the case of a bow or crossbow, when it is unstrung or encased, or when it is being carried under the direct supervision of authorized public recreational personnel; or

(c) Where and as otherwise permitted by State law.

. Transportation of firearms in motor vehicles. No person shall transport or possess in or upon a motor vehicle a firearm, unless the firearm is unloaded and is one or more of the following:

(a) Taken down;

(b) Enclosed in a case;

(c) Carried in the trunk of the vehicle; and/or

(d) Inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle.

696.05. Weapons on college campuses and buildings. No regularly enrolled student, guest or other person shall have in his or her possession on any college campus or in any college building, either concealed or not concealed, any rifle, shotgun, revolver, knife, fire bomb, explosive or any other dangerous weapon or ordnance.

I am a Forum User
    You might want to change the date in the original post to 2011. One date says 2001, another 2011.

I am a Forum User
    How about calling, writing, or emailing council members? I would be willing to do that, but would like it to be part of a coordinated effort. That means, I would like to come to some agreement on what specific ordinance changes we are pursuing. As long as the current restrictions stand, I have no intention of ever entering that building again.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by bsf
    How about calling, writing, or emailing council members? I would be willing to do that, but would like it to be part of a coordinated effort. That means, I would like to come to some agreement on what specific ordinance changes we are pursuing. As long as the current restrictions stand, I have no intention of ever entering that building again.
    Council members, the mayor's office, the city attorney, and the police chief have all been emailed by myself and Venator in the past, with no success.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallbear
    696.02. Carrying weapons in public places. No person shall carry any firearm, air rifle, bow and arrow, slingshot, crossbow or other dangerous weapon in any public place, subject to the following exceptions:

(a) When it is in a case and is not loaded;

(b) In the case of a bow or crossbow, when it is unstrung or encased, or when it is being carried under the direct supervision of authorized public recreational personnel; or

(c) Where and as otherwise permitted by State law.

. Transportation of firearms in motor vehicles. No person shall transport or possess in or upon a motor vehicle a firearm, unless the firearm is unloaded and is one or more of the following:

(a) Taken down;

(b) Enclosed in a case;

(c) Carried in the trunk of the vehicle; and/or

(d) Inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle.

696.05. Weapons on college campuses and buildings. No regularly enrolled student, guest or other person shall have in his or her possession on any college campus or in any college building, either concealed or not concealed, any rifle, shotgun, revolver, knife, fire bomb, explosive or any other dangerous weapon or ordnance.

A copy of my reply from OCDO about a similar question...

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    It would seem that subsection (c) brings this ordinance in line with state law. I say drop this one from the list of ordinances to fight and focus on 3 & 5.

Bronson
    1. Show me the place in Michigan law that permits Open Carry. It doesn't. Open Carry isn't permitted by law, it's only not forbidden by law. What IS forbidden by law is municipalities making ordinances about firearms.

2. Subsection c puts the onerous task of knowing about MCL 123.1102 on to the citizen.

Ordinances with similar language has been fought (see Taylor's ordinances recently and its severability clause).

I am a Forum User
    Bump.

You can see the corresponding thread on OCDO:

forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?84877-Help-Fight-City-of-Lansing-s-Illegal-Ordinances-on-Febuary-7-2011

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast