Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

coon hunters out there

So something wired happened today. Anyways I came home from work, and i saw a coon near my chickens. I know those coons kill/eat chickens so i started to scream to scare it off, instead it ran up the tree. so i ran to my house and the fastest thing i could grab was an AR-15. so i ran out there and shot it. I only shot one round and i thought i missed because i didn't see any blood splatter. however after waiting a few minutes, the coon seemed to get dizzy and just fell from the tree. At that point i thought it was dead, but it was still moving (moving as in head moving, not walking around or anything). at that point i didn't want to shoot another AR around because its freaking loud and didn't want my neighbors freaking out, so i just pinned it down with my shovel waiting for it to die, however it didn't die so i had to whack it with the shovel.

If i missed the AR why did the raccoon fall from the tree? does loud sounds like a gunfire make them dizzy?

I am a Forum User
    I coon hunted for years with my father. Here are a couple of theories:

The coon was out in the daylight indicating that it was sick with rabies or some other disease. Coon are nocturnal. the sickness caused it to fall.

Or option 2: you actually shot it with your ar and it took a long time for anything to happen because raccoon are tough and a .22 cal hole isn't very big. A few times when a head shot was not possible I've seen a coon shot multiple times with .22 lr before falling out of a tree then fight off a couple of dogs and still get away.

Raccoon are tough animals.

Account Closed Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by jacuzzibusguy
    I coon hunted for years with my father. Here are a couple of theories:

The coon was out in the daylight indicating that it was sick with rabies or some other disease. Coon are nocturnal. the sickness caused it to fall.

Or option 2: you actually shot it with your ar and it took a long time for anything to happen because raccoon are tough and a .22 cal hole isn't very big. A few times when a head shot was not possible I've seen a coon shot multiple times with .22 lr before falling out of a tree then fight off a couple of dogs and still get away.

Raccoon are tough animals.
    Everything you said,I emptied a A-Bolt 22 mag into a big one a few years back one September day, before she stopped moving.

MGO Member
    I had an either sick, or injured coon by my house a few years ago that needed to be put down. So as not to alarm my neighbors, I used my trusty old Remington bolt .22 rifle with some .22CB rounds. At a distance of ten feet I plugged him once in the body, nothing happened, so I then shot him again where upon he limped over onto my garage concrete apron and commenced to bleed all over it. At this point my wife happened to look out the window at it, and hollered for me to "quit playing around with it"!

I for the first time, put the little rifle to my shoulder, looked through the scope and placed the crosshair between his eyes and shot. He immediately jumped about three feet into the air, landed with a loud thump flat on his back, dead right there.

Apparently, head shots are necessary on these little creatures.

Quote Originally Posted by psi2941

If i missed the AR why did the raccoon fall from the tree? does loud sounds like a gunfire make them dizzy?

Gravity!

I am a Forum User
    Man I hope someday I'll have enough property to be able to fire a rifle round up into the air and not have to worry about where it ends up.

If you missed, I dont know why it would fall unless like the other poster said it was sick.

MGO Member
    No big deal--skin it and count the two holes-or just one??

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by langenc
    No big deal--skin it and count the two holes-or just one??
    l burned it with my propane blow torch because i was afraid of diseases. Then I left it and came back the next day and it was gone. Now its the case of the missing dead/burnt raccoon. Which animal in their right mind would eat a solid black/burnt raccoon.

On the second thought could it be those chicken?

Account Closed Forum User
    Hey it was cooked for them, that's a rarity in the wild.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by psi2941
    l burned it with my propane blow torch because i was afraid of diseases. Then I left it and came back the next day and it was gone. Now its the case of the missing dead/burnt raccoon.

Probably it was taken by the same animal rights activist that took video of the entire torture and burning sequence and it will be used as evidence at your trial.

If you don't know what you are doing with wild animals, it is really best to leave well enough alone unless you have no choice in the matter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast