Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Shotgun Length Question... Is it a pistol?

The firearm in question is a Mossberg Pursuader PGO (Pistol Grip Only) shotgun. The overall length is less than 30", they have 18.5" barrels and are sold via CPL or purchase permit through local stores.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=mossb...9,r:0,s:0,i:78

So what are these things? Michigan pistols?

- If it's a pistol then a front vertical grip = jail.
    - It it's a pistol then adding a buttstock to the gun = jail.

Anyway I saw one recently and it made me wonder what these were in the eyes of the law.

Thanks Guys

I am a Forum User
    Johnson's Sporting Goods of Adrian, MI sold me that (Mossberg 500 Persuader) as an "Other Weapon," (Not an AOW) and also a long gun. It has a 20" barrel and has a total overall length of 30.5", which if I am correct, and I hardly ever am, fits the criteria for a "long gun." I treat it as a "long gun" in that it does not ride in the car and is not carried as a pistol. I hope this helps.

I am a Forum User
    you are confusing Michigan pistol with the federal definition of a pistol one has nothing to do with the other

if at its shortest operational length it is between 26 and 30 inches and has a 18 in or above [ shotgun ] or 16 in or above [ rifle ] it is a MI pistol but not a federal pistol so you can put vert grip or folding stock if you want no problems

I am a Forum User
    Ok I think I get it...

So it is a pistol but it isn't

This Michigan pistol business is rather new to me, even though I've been versed in firearm use for quite some time. I guess I really didn't realize that just because Michigan considers it a pistol, doesn't mean that the ATF does.

Actually it may not be a bad idea to pick one up before the "Michigan pistol" legislation changes early 2013.

Thanks!

I am a Forum User
    Actually I suppose I have a few more....

So if one has a "normal" buttstock shotgun with a length of more than 30", and then installs a pistol grip which makes it less than 30",this would need to be registered again as a pistol?

This carrying a "michigan pistol" business only works in state right? Meaning if I drive out of state carrying (as I often do) it would be wise to put said shotgun locked up in the trunk.
    Last edited by austin7118; 07-29-2012 at 08:35 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by austin7118
    Actually I suppose I have a few more....

So if one has a "normal" buttstock shotgun with a length of more than 30", and then installs a pistol grip which makes it less than 30",this would need to be registered again as a pistol?
    correct

This carrying a "michigan pistol" business only works in state right? Meaning if I drive out of state carrying (as I often do) it would be wise to put said shotgun locked up in the trunk.
    correct

I am a Forum User
    Those are not pistols in PA. You buy them like any other long there, fill out one form and dealer calls in background check. Pass check and walk out with new gun.

Kinda glad I didn't buy one now, would suck having to register a long gun as a handgun.

I am a Forum User
    I agree, I like as little gun registrations as possible.

However for the cpl holder, I do see limited value to this.

I am a Forum User
    There is new legislation coming 1 Jan which changes the length in MI to 26. Check mcrgo for specifics

Quote Originally Posted by 99/100
    There is new legislation coming 1 Jan which changes the length in MI to 26. Check mcrgo for specifics
    There are several threads on the changes right here, you don't have to go anywhere else. The new LAWS take full effect Jan 1, 2013. The "legislation" has passed both houses, and has been signed into law.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast