Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    There also talking about it on the S&W forum. Gonna have to give S&W a call tomorrow.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-w...-breakage.html

I am a Forum User
    I apologize if this is a stupid question, but what symptoms are associated with a broken firing pin while dry firing? Or do you only notice the broken firing pin the next time you try to shoot live ammo?

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator esq_stu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ajw
    I apologize if this is a stupid question, but what symptoms are associated with a broken firing pin while dry firing? Or do you only notice the broken firing pin the next time you try to shoot live ammo?
    That's certainly the main symptom. If it is a free-floating firing pin with no spring, I suppose something could rattle around, but I don't know anyone that routinely removes their slide and shakes it to listen for rattling. A broken firing pin is not necessarily the only cause of a failure to fire, though. A very dirty firing pin channel or a weak hammer spring are also possible causes.
    All the best,

--esq_stu
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home

The above comments are not intended to be and do not constitute legal advice to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by starjammir
    Yup, I called them up last week to get one of the new ones. Anyone know if they come complete ready to drop in? If not, how do I take the spring and ish off?
    Wow, what a difference 3 days make. I just got off the phone with them. I explained that I had heard they had an issue with strikers breaking and they had re-designed it and made the new one out of stainless. The CS rep said they had a few instances of breakage and they will replace them if they break. I told him that didn't make me feel too good especially since I have dry fired the gun a bunch. I asked him what if the gun was needed in a self defense situation and it broke after one shot was fired. He told me that then they would replace it. I said fine, can I buy one. He told me no, the slide had to be sent in for striker replacement. Well, I just looked on Midway and it seems they sell them. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=466044
    It was about two years ago that I owned a half dozen Springfield Armory pistols. It was an incident similar to this that has me owning zero SA pistols at this time. At least he was cordial enough to date my latest revolver purchase.
    If you are better off than you were 4 years ago....................you are probably an ILLEGAL INVADER.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Imshootin
    Wow, what a difference 3 days make. I just got off the phone with them. I explained that I had heard they had an issue with strikers breaking and they had re-designed it and made the new one out of stainless. The CS rep said they had a few instances of breakage and they will replace them if they break. I told him that didn't make me feel too good especially since I have dry fired the gun a bunch. I asked him what if the gun was needed in a self defense situation and it broke after one shot was fired. He told me that then they would replace it. I said fine, can I buy one. He told me no, the slide had to be sent in for striker replacement.
    Call them back, and if they give you the same malarkey, as for Kate Fredette. She's head of CS at Smith. Some of the CS drones are not, as they say, "up to snuff". At least if Kate tells you the same, you can be sure it's the straight poop. Whether or not you like it is another matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M
    Call them back, and if they give you the same malarkey, as for Kate Fredette. She's head of CS at Smith. Some of the CS drones are not, as they say, "up to snuff". At least if Kate tells you the same, you can be sure it's the straight poop. Whether or not you like it is another matter.
    Left her a message. Another CS rep called me back and I explained to him my previous conversation with the first rep I spoke to. I was told that they do in fact sell the strikers and he would sell me one. He said they don't sell strikers for the Sigma (has to be replaced by them) and the other rep may have been confused because of that. He says they are not replacing these by request. He also told me that the new ones are not stainless. They are a cast part. They are just polished to distinguish them from the old ones. So, I'm happy enough. I'll keep the original for a spare.
    If you are better off than you were 4 years ago....................you are probably an ILLEGAL INVADER.

I am a Forum User
    Left her a message. Another CS rep called me back and I explained to him my previous conversation with the first rep I spoke to. I was told that they do in fact sell the strikers and he would sell me one. He said they don't sell strikers for the Sigma (has to be replaced by them) and the other rep may have been confused because of that. He says they are not replacing these by request. He also told me that the new ones are not stainless. They are a cast part. They are just polished to distinguish them from the old ones. So, I'm happy enough. I'll keep the original for a spare.
    How much did S&W charge for the part?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by esq_stu
    In an e-mail I received today:
    not to late to buy a XD

Quote Originally Posted by dpgperftest
    not to late to buy a XD
    I had three parts break on my XD-9. At that time they would send you parts. Not so any more. I'll pass.

I am a Forum User
    I had three parts break on my XD-9. At that time they would send you parts. Not so any more. I'll pass.
    HAVE U EVER SHOOT +P THROUGH IT ?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast