Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Barrier Penetration - 9/357/40

Looking for some info regarding barrier penetration, specifically vehicles and similarly built objects (glass, thin metal, etc.). Which cartridge is going to give me the best penetration after going through a barrier such as a car door or windshield? I'd like to keep it in the 9mm, .357 sig and .40 S&W calibers. Are there specific bullet designs, velocities or bullet weights that perform better no matter the caliber?

Lots of info on the interwebz, but hard determining what is right and what just sounds right but isn't.

I am a Forum User
    How about setting up an experiment Joey.

I am a Forum User
    I could probably do it up over at the Post if I had some glass and sheet metal...and some guns other then 9mm.

I am a Forum User
    From what i have read about .357 sig is that it has awesome penetration capabilities....although like you i would like to see this tested. My only issue with .357 sig is the higher cost of the ammo..of course i reload but that then means adding another caliber to my punch

Try looking through this sub-forum. http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=91 I stumbled across a thread about exactly what you are looking for and believe you will find it in there. If not let me know and I'll try to locate it.

I am a Forum User
    Bonded bullets usually stay together better when penetrating glass or metal.

I am a Forum User
    Check out this link. The Box o' Truth's Buick o' Truth. Lots of tests there.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/thebuickotruth.htm

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeywhat
    I could probably do it up over at the Post if I had some glass and sheet metal...and some guns other then 9mm.
    I am in.. I can provide 3 40SW guns in subcompact, compact and full.
    As for Sheet metal, did you check with Doug, he might have some scrap laying around somewhere.

I am a Forum User
    FWIW, I was talking to a MSP trooper who said they went from 9mm to 40 because the 9 would not reliably go thru car glass. YMMV. Regards,

Nail

"The path to true knowledge is paved with wasted money" copyright postban forever!
    NRA Endowment Member, 2AF Life Member, GOA Patriot Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast