PDA

View Full Version : Ohio Turnpike CEZ

bluesoftail
08-14-2004, 08:16 AM
I was on the Ohio Turnpike this week, and every "service plaza" (the only source for restrooms, gas, and food) are ALL posted CEZ's. I will go out of my way to avoid the Ohio Turnpike in the future.

Other than this I saw no other posted CEZ's in Ohio, and I traveled it all the way to WV.

t/c mark
08-14-2004, 08:35 PM
The rest stops on I-75 were all posted also. I recently went to Kentucky with a friend and saw the signs. Her 12 year old son said, "do they think that criminals will obey that sign?" He earned himself a day at the gun range.

LivoniaDan
08-14-2004, 08:58 PM
Went to Cincinnati this weekend.... I wonder about this..... I saw the signs and thoroughly read them.... It states ( not an exact quote) "unless otherwise authorized by law, no weapons or other dangerous ordinance....

So doesn't a CPL authorize a person...... I don't mind admitting I'm kind of confused......... and ignorant in terms of law.........

Divegeek
08-15-2004, 09:12 AM
Dan, in a word....NO. In Ohio there CPL Law specifically says that a CPL holder may not carry into a government owned building. Their Attorney General has said that you can carry on government owned property, ie. parks and such, but not into the buildings themselves. So if traveling along the Turnpike, and in need of gas stop and get gas but pay at the pump with your credit card.

Jason Demond
08-15-2004, 04:08 PM
I just packed a cased S&W 625 in the truck, when I went to Ohio last weekend.

I already knew the reststops were CEZ's, and didn't spend a dime at any of them.

gjgalligan
08-15-2004, 08:34 PM
Not sure but I think the Ohio trunpike is owned by a private company, which means they can post it if they want. Heck they could post the roadway itself if they wanted to.

Divegeek
08-16-2004, 07:54 AM
According to the Ohio Turnpike website, it is owned by the State, and is mananged by a commision of government appointees. It is fully funded from the tolls though, and gets no money from taxes.

www.ohioturnpike.org

joen
08-20-2004, 06:58 AM
tc/mark

Were those signs you mentioned along I-75 below Michigan?

Thanks,
Joen

hawkeyee
07-31-2009, 12:11 AM
tc/mark

Were those signs you mentioned along I-75 below Michigan?

Thanks,
Joen

Hold on? those signs say authorized people only! I'm authorized! I have a cpl.
the signs do not say no cpl's or no guns? i'm confused now?

Talus
07-31-2009, 12:56 AM
I already knew the reststops were CEZ's, and didn't spend a dime at any of them.

When going to/from PA a few weeks ago, I didnt happen to notice these signs. Either way, the price they charge for ANYTHING on these rest stops is just as bad as gouging for ammunition.

Hell, soon it will be $0.50 to use the bathroom stall.

warrior1978
07-31-2009, 06:45 AM
If you do a little research on Ohio's CPL law, the signs you see are specifically meant to exclude CPL holders from carrying. The CPL manual has a picture of the standard "no firearms allowed sign" and that's the sign you see at many places.

An example of exemptions to the sign or carry otherwise lawful would be armed security protecting the venue or on duty police officers. CPL holders are not afforded the same right. In Michigan if a private business has a no firearms allowed sign there is no criminal violation if you were to carry concealed there, the owner's only option would be to ask that you leave and never return. In Ohio it is a criminal violation to ignore a sign. God forbid if you ignore the sign and for whatever reason are forced to use your firearm, imagine the criminal and CIVIL ramifications.

It is also important to know, that in addition to government buildings being CEZs, places that have a liquor license, regardless of whether you're drinking or regardless if it is a traditional restaurant versus "a bar" are also CEZs.

Ohio does recognize Michigan CPL's, but you must follow their CPL law not Michigan's. Michigan affords a lot more freedoms than Ohio

trigger
07-31-2009, 06:51 AM
For more answers about Ohio rule you might ask here http://ohioccwforums.org/

BOSS302
07-31-2009, 08:03 AM
I thought they changed the law last year to allow CPL holders to carry in the rest areas.

mikee1973
07-31-2009, 08:20 AM
I thought they changed the law last year to allow CPL holders to carry in the rest areas.

they did

from the Ohio AG website

http://www.ag.state.oh.us/le/prevention/pubs/2009_ccw_book.pdf

Forbidden Carry Zones
The law sets forth several places where your license does not allow
you to carry a handgun. Under the law, you may not carry a concealed
handgun into the following places:

• Government facilities that are not used primarily as a shelter,
restroom, parking facility for motor vehicles, or rest facility and is
not a courthouse or a building or structure in which a courtroom is
located.

who dat
07-31-2009, 08:34 AM
they did

from the Ohio AG website

http://www.ag.state.oh.us/le/prevention/pubs/2009_ccw_book.pdf

Forbidden Carry Zones
The law sets forth several places where your license does not allow
you to carry a handgun. Under the law, you may not carry a concealed
handgun into the following places:

• Government facilities that are not used primarily as a shelter,
restroom, parking facility for motor vehicles, or rest facility and is
not a courthouse or a building or structure in which a courtroom is
located.
Now it's perfectly clear...:scramble:

mikee1973
07-31-2009, 08:46 AM
Now it's perfectly clear...:scramble:

lawyer speak... go figure. I recall the ohioccw folks doing a big push to get the signs taken down at the rest stops on the turnpike. i dont recall seeing any when i went between toledo and PA over the 4th of July holiday

Kimber45
07-31-2009, 09:10 AM
We're driving to Louisville in three weeks. I'll be interested to see if the signs are gone.

San_Marco_Training
07-31-2009, 09:28 AM
We were just there a couple weeks ago and there weren't any signs on the turnpike rest stops. We had a conversation about how Ohio had lifted those bans when they adopted their Castle Doctrine laws a while back. We looked for the stickers. None. They must have changed the rules since then.

Jerbear1098
07-31-2009, 09:50 AM
Got back from Norwalk area a few weeks ago and saw the signs on the service center doors. Hell they were all over the place where I was at,Wellington. We were there on June 20th, the service center before you get off at I 280 to go to I 75 had the signs on the glass doors. I didn't go in, my son confirmed the sign. Not sure if they have been removed since.

The part of Ohio law that has me nervous is the need to disclose immediately. I mean the first words out of your mouth before good morning etc...

Do not reach for your wallet without being told to do so and make sure you tell the officer where your gun is before you reach. It could be a felony.

If a person is stopped for a law enforcement purpose and if the person
is carrying a concealed handgun as a CCW licensee, whether in a
motor vehicle or not, the person shall not have or attempt to have any
contact with the handgun, unless in accordance with directions given
by a law enforcement officer. Violating this law is a felony.

I have a cousin that is a leo in Ohio and he's cool about concealed carry, but alot of leo's there are not. Just be careful.

Garbo
07-31-2009, 09:59 AM
Hold on? those signs say authorized people only! I'm authorized! I have a cpl.
the signs do not say no cpl's or no guns? i'm confused now?

I tried to spin it that way too but I logged on the Ohioans for Concieled Carry Website and asked. They basicly said nice try but no. Not a one of them said otherwise

mikee1973
07-31-2009, 10:55 AM
Got back from Norwalk area a few weeks ago and saw the signs on the service center doors. Hell they were all over the place where I was at,Wellington. We were there on June 20th, the service center before you get off at I 280 to go to I 75 had the signs on the glass doors.

My guess based on your location is that this is a service station and not rest stop on the turnpike? i think the big difference is that the rest stops on the turn pike fall under the Govt building rule posted earlier. My guess is that the service station is private and they can post whatever signs they want

Jerbear1098
07-31-2009, 11:09 AM
My guess based on your location is that this is a service station and not rest stop on the turnpike? i think the big difference is that the rest stops on the turn pike fall under the Govt building rule posted earlier. My guess is that the service station is private and they can post whatever signs they want

Maybe Mikee1973, these are to new dome shaped stations they put up a few years back. I pulled into the handicapped spot and the first thing I saw was the No Guns signs. In Wellington, these signs are all over, it's like every store had one. Granted, it's a small town, we were visiting my wifes grandfather in the nursing home and there was one there as well. I pretty much left my gun in the car safe until it was time to come home. Like I said, my cousin told me, they are strict on the notification time. First words out of your mouth should be, I have a concealed carry permit and my firearm is in a holster on my (insert what ever side you wear it here) side. What would you like me to do. Then you can say good morning, etc...

Don't even reach for your wallet for ID, if your gun is on your waist next to the pocket your wallet is in. Bad news...

1-2many
07-31-2009, 12:14 PM
Holy thread revival...2004!

67390FE
07-31-2009, 12:37 PM
Holy thread revival...2004!

Indeed! In 2004 the signs were there. This has been resolved.

mikee1973
07-31-2009, 12:41 PM
Indeed! In 2004 the signs were there. This has been resolved.

didnt even notice that...

knu2xs
07-31-2009, 02:56 PM
Yeah, the signs came down earlier this year, or maybe late last year, I can't remember which. I know it happened just before one of our Vacations as I picked up that information while checking to see if there were any changes in Ohio's CPL Laws prior to our traveling through there........

Roger Roney
08-01-2009, 04:01 AM
Holy thread revival...2004!I caught that too. After seeing this take on a new life, I now know I should have said something shortly after post #11! :lol:

Seems like hawkeyee is dragging up old threads and making (odd/senseless/etc,) comments for some reason. Maybe to run up post count for links/pics since he sells guns??? :twisted: :lol:

Roger

wishn-i-was-fishn
08-01-2009, 04:44 AM
Please note, the OP on this thread was made in 2004.
Gun laws change and change frequently. It is my understanding that Ohio removed the No Carry restrictions on state operated rest facilities and along the turnpike sometime within the last 12 months. I recommend that anyone traveling to another state with your gun always, check for the latest legal status in that state by visiting that state's and state attorney general's websites and or by calling that state's attorney general or State police agency. Many other states also have gun rights groups who host websites that contain helpful information.