PDA

View Full Version : Benelli wins Olympic Gold in shoot-off

Jim Simmons
08-23-2004, 02:58 PM
With a name like that, it was sort of pre-ordained.

Benelli wins gold in shoot-off

August 22, 2004

ATHENS, Greece (AP) -- Andrea Benelli of Italy won the gold medal in skeet shooting Sunday, beating Marko Kemppainen of Finland in an event that required two shoot-offs to determine the medals.

Benelli went a perfect 25-for-25 in the final round to tie Kemppainen with a score of 149. Juan Miguel Rodriguez of Cuba won a three-way shoot-off with Nasser Al-Attiya of Qatar and Shawn Dulohery of the United States for the bronze medal. The three had finished with 147 points.

Kemppainen scored a perfect 125 in qualifying, equaling a world record, but his lone miss in the final gave Benelli an opportunity.

After winning the shoot-off, Benelli ran joyfully around in front of the spectators with his arms raised.

``It is a dream,'' Benelli said. ``I was preparing for four years. I enjoyed the final. I can't describe my feelings. I was lucky in the shoot-off.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/oly/shooting/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpNmY5OGRyBF9TAzk2Njc0Mzk4BHNlYwN0 aA--?slug=ap-mensskeetsho&prov=ap&type=lgns

Slatherd
08-23-2004, 05:10 PM
I'm surprised the world media even allows any shooting in the olympics. You'd think they would pull it from all events. Seeing as all guns and shooting sports are EVIL.

goldwing2000
08-24-2004, 07:31 AM
Luckily, the media doesn't control what events are in the Olympics.

I sure haven't seen any shooting sports televised, though.

taurus92
08-24-2004, 08:15 AM

Then you have not been looking. Albeit the are few and far between they have been on

goldwing2000
08-24-2004, 08:57 AM

Then you have not been looking. Albeit the are few and far between they have been on

You're right. I haven't been looking much. What I have seen is volleyball, track & field, swimming, diving, gymnastics and softball.

I'm not a big fan, so mostly what I've seen is whatever the girlfriend is watching. I saw about a 10-second flash of skeet/trap/whatever on CBC but that's it.

taurus92
08-24-2004, 12:14 PM

You're right. I haven't been looking much. What I have seen is volleyball, track & field, swimming, diving, gymnastics and softball.

I'm not a big fan, so mostly what I've seen is whatever the girlfriend is watching. I saw about a 10-second flash of skeet/trap/whatever on CBC but that's it.

50 meter prone was on over the weekend as well as some of the pistol. LIke I said not much and you have to channel surf to find it...

Have to watch that beach v-ball!

goldwing2000
08-24-2004, 01:16 PM

Sadly, it's not that impressive. :roll:

taurus92
08-24-2004, 03:55 PM

Sadly, it's not that impressive. :roll:

lot more so when you play it and know how hard it is. Especially tring to block a 60mph or higher spike. Brutal!

Jim Simmons
08-25-2004, 01:05 AM
It's the only olympic sport where the wimmin wear bikinis. What's not to like? :D

taurus92
08-25-2004, 05:44 AM
some real good play in the gold medal game. How they were able to dive and get such good hits was impressive :)

Autumnlovr
08-25-2004, 06:04 AM
The way the dive, duck, roll, come up running.....can you imagine how they'd kick your butt in a round of paintball? :shock:

goldwing2000
08-25-2004, 07:48 AM
It's the only olympic sport where the wimmin wear bikinis. What's not to like? :D

That's what I meant. The wimmin aren't that impressive looking. :)

They're good players and all, I just didn't see any worth writing home about.

goldwing2000
08-25-2004, 07:49 AM
The way the dive, duck, roll, come up running.....can you imagine how they'd kick your butt in a round of paintball? :shock:

Only if they can shoot... :twisted: