PDA

View Full Version : safe moisture removal?

revho
08-12-2010, 09:27 PM
Well folks, I found out that not wiping your carry down after wearing it and putting it in the safe (and not looking at it for 3 months) causes rust. So, after I go get a brass brush 4/0 tomorrow I need to look at something to get the humidity out of the safe. Anyone have a particular dehumidifier, goldenrod, or silca things used and has had good results with?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

dpgperftest
08-12-2010, 09:40 PM
I got one from dicks that you have to put in the oven to recharge it.I dont care for it ....someone told me about one the you put in the save and when the turns blue you plug it in to the wall for a hour or two than put it back in the safe .... I dont know what its is or who makes it let me know what you find ??????????I keep looking on this end toooo

wrinkledshirt
08-12-2010, 09:44 PM
Damp-Rid very easy to deal with, refillable, refills available at most hardware stores.

Joeywhat
08-12-2010, 09:50 PM
I use damp-rid in my keezer. Works very well. Need to buy another bucket of it and I'll probably grab some of the smaller ones to throw in my safe as well.

Billetproof
08-12-2010, 11:00 PM
If you don't have an electrical outlet in your safe , this works well;
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=400957&pdesc=Remington_365_Mini_Dehumidifier&str=safe+dehumidifier&merchID=4005

If you have an
electrical outlet, get a Goldenrod.

enfield
08-13-2010, 07:59 AM
The Goldenrod and it's clones work marvelously - no muss, no fuss, no recharging in the oven. Just plug it in and check once in a while that it's still warm.

It's worth the effort to run electricity inside your safe, and it's not that much effort.

revho
08-13-2010, 08:46 AM
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=400957&pdesc=Remington_365_Mini_Dehumidifier&str=safe+dehumidifier&merchID=4005

If you have an

I don't have a electrical outlet in my safe, but I do have a access hole in the back for electrical it looks like. That should work, correct? It is a champion safe.

Thanks,

Kevin

Dansjeep2000
08-13-2010, 08:49 AM
I don't have a electrical outlet in my safe, but I do have a access hole in the back for electrical it looks like. That should work, correct? It is a champion safe.

Thanks,

Kevin
Should

scrapinby
08-13-2010, 09:25 AM

Thanks,

Kevin

You don't plug the Remington in while it is in your safe. You just have to plug it in every once in a while to recharge it.

I have had this one for 4 months and have yet to recharge it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H0XFCS/ref=oss_product
It looks exactly like the Remington, but about half the cost.

dpgperftest
08-13-2010, 11:25 AM
The Goldenrod and it's clones work marvelously - no muss, no fuss, no recharging in the oven. Just plug it in and check once in a while that it's still warm.

It's worth the effort to run electricity inside your safe, and it's not that much effort.
no no no I still looking for you only plug it in to dry it out aprox every 6mounths or so. dont run power inside your safe no no no i dont think i have to explan why you dont do that

dpgperftest
08-13-2010, 11:37 AM

If you have an

this is it thanks for finding

Shooter McNasty
08-13-2010, 12:51 PM
The one by me had the knock-off Damp Rid for $1. Works well in my safes. Its going to be hard to get rid of moisture living in MI

dpgperftest
08-13-2010, 01:00 PM
The one by me had the knock-off Damp Rid for $1. Works well in my safes. Its going to be hard to get rid of moisture living in MI

I agree

lots of oil is your guns best Friend

ColonelKurtz
08-13-2010, 04:17 PM
no no no I still looking for you only plug it in to dry it out aprox every 6mounths or so. dont run power inside your safe no no no i dont think i have to explan why you dont do that

Why? Fire hazard with the juice? I thought people with Golden Rods let 'em run 24/7.

OX SMASH!!
08-16-2010, 06:46 PM
save some $$ and place a couple open boxes of baking soda in the safe, and replace em once in a while..............you dont need to buy any fancy gadgets

Kitts
08-17-2010, 07:50 AM
STAY AWAY FROM THE REMINGTON!!!!!

I have had one for about 3 years, them while recharging it last month it caught fire while plugged in. I would consider something other than the remington.

Roundballer
08-17-2010, 09:12 AM
Just stick a 7 watt incandescent night light in there. They put out as much heat as the "Goldenrod" types of heaters and you can tell at a glance if it is working. And they are cheeeeeap!

Detroit Tackleberry
08-23-2010, 09:44 PM

If you have an

I bought mine at Dick's but I second the motion mine works great. Depending on humidity levels you should recharge every 6 weeks give or take. IMHO Not a bad Idea to have a back up or a second one that you can keep in safe inbetween charges.....

BigIrish
08-24-2010, 07:34 AM
a heat element, combined with a couple cans of damp-rid, and then this:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0053984220674a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Product_liberal&QueryText=silicone+gun+case&sort=all&Go.y=0&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&Go.x=0

cut it up and use it to line the parts of the safe where gun metal touches the carpet/shelf. One rifle length case provides enough material to line all of your guns' contact points.

bad86ta
09-01-2010, 03:37 AM
I currently use a golden rod in my safe, works well, have had no issues with it...

FIJI
09-01-2010, 05:18 AM
goldenrod + plastic cup with driveway melting salt.

Just make sure to check and replace the salt montly as it soaks up a LOT of
H2O. Cheap and very effective

dpgperftest
09-01-2010, 03:37 PM
goldenrod + plastic cup with driveway melting salt.

Just make sure to check and replace the salt montly as it soaks up a LOT of
H2O. Cheap and very effective
whats a goldenrod

FIJI
09-01-2010, 04:27 PM
http://www.goldenroddehumidifiers.com/

dpgperftest
09-01-2010, 04:36 PM
opps incorrect tread ,,,,,, thanks never seen one before

Craftsman1
10-01-2010, 06:50 PM
Damp Rid is Calcium Chloride. Calcium Chloride is what is used on a lot of streets for ice melting in the winter. You see what it does to your car in Michigan. Since it is a salt do not let it come in contact with your weapon. Might consider fume silica as a better desiccant. Just seen on ebay folks are selling fume silica bags in different sizes.