PDA

View Full Version : Salmon Run

jay
08-15-2010, 11:20 AM
Salmon run is coming soon, anyone going? Anyone have any high hopes it will start this week?

pkuptruck
08-15-2010, 01:36 PM
planning on it.... but have too many things in the air....

this week? HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

...breath...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH A.

PLOP.... ( i laughed my butt off... LOL)

Maybe in the lakes, a million miles out.....

but being a river runner.... I would have to put it closer to end of sept.....given the weather.....

jay
08-15-2010, 11:27 PM
reports in on a small run a week ago in the betsie, the lssu live cam www.lssu.edu/arl/fishcam.php in the st. marys river show alot of silver swimming upstream....... they have run this early before, rain and cooler temps this week and reports of them grouping at the the entrance in the lakes..... we shall see. regardless it will be beer thirty all day long and if we have to hit the lakes so be it.

pkuptruck
08-16-2010, 03:52 AM
........ regardless it will be beer thirty all day long and if we have to hit the lakes so be it.

now THAT.... I can agree on, and fgully endorse!:multi:

1173jared
08-16-2010, 08:47 PM
Oh man Im going to the Betsie one way or another. im broke ($$), but if theres a will, theres a way. Right??

Shyster
08-16-2010, 09:36 PM
I usually wait and go up to Lexington in October. Nothing like freezing your cojones off when the wind comes whipping in!

appliancebrad
08-16-2010, 11:26 PM
I'll be on the PM mid September.

pkuptruck
08-17-2010, 03:48 AM
Oh man Im going to the Betsie one way or another. im broke ($$), but if theres a will, theres a way. Right??

well, given the EXTREME change in weather this week...... you might be on to something...!:multi:

getting into the high 40-low 50's.... might just have a few runners!

Where on the betsie???? I love the Homestead dam area, ( when it isnt elbows to a-holes...LOL)

or the part behind the reservation....

good times..!:salute:

sse
08-17-2010, 08:31 AM
I heard somewhere that the eating quality of the fish from Fall is poor compared to the Spring. Anybody have an opinion on that?

Ruger
08-17-2010, 08:42 AM
I heard somewhere that the eating quality of the fish from Fall is poor compared to the Spring. Anybody have an opinion on that?

With Salmon I've never seen or tasted any difference from spring to fall. Unless you fish late in the season and they're almost already dead. I wouldn't eat them but I have found many people that are more then willing to take the fish, some can them and others feed their cats with it.

The Sunrise side of the state can expect things to have not changed one bit! The DNR has not planted and has no future plans to plant any more salmon fry in the *****wobble river! For 25 years we've made it a family thing to hit the *****wobble and the Dam in Alpena and the last 3 years its been a waste of time and money.

I remember when the Kings ran so thick that when ya waded into the river down by the 'Whirlpool" you could feel them hitting your legs.

We went last year and saw nothing but jacks and they were the size of small walleyes.
The west side is where the fish are and that's where you'll find us come October.

appliancebrad
08-17-2010, 10:42 PM

That's why I fish the PM, it's No Kill. No reason to bring fish home. Besides that means very few snaggers, who's mantra is "they're gonna die anyway". If I want salmon to eat, give a 2.5-3# shaker in the spring. Fall Kings are fun to catch, to eat....not so much.

Hockey9019
08-18-2010, 03:01 AM
I like Tipsy Dam. Anyone going this year there/

1173jared
08-18-2010, 04:41 PM
well, given the EXTREME change in weather this week...... you might be on to something...!:multi:

getting into the high 40-low 50's.... might just have a few runners!

Where on the betsie???? I love the Homestead dam area, ( when it isnt elbows to a-holes...LOL)

or the part behind the reservation....

good times..!:salute:

Yes the dam of course. lots of spots closer to the lake, and all along the river. realy good times out on a jon boat in/near the marina in Frankfort. just troll around. also just up stream from the marina area under those bridge overpasses (i forget the road name), there is nice fishin there (early in the run). we just need a few good storms over there, and they should be coming in very soon.

mikethepike
08-18-2010, 05:00 PM
I picked up 38 steelhead over the summer trolling in Wheatley ...so i have no plans for the river......time to shift gears and look for bambi:naughty:

wJAKE19
08-20-2010, 09:43 AM
Tippy in late sept/early oct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!111111

pkuptruck
08-20-2010, 09:53 AM
Tippy in late sept/early oct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!111111

:wtf:
thats not fishing..... thats just picking up the dead ones...... :biggrin:
LMAO

foolsgold80z
08-20-2010, 06:05 PM
:wtf:
thats not fishing..... thats just picking up the dead ones...... :biggrin:
LMAO

Hardly. If you know when and how to find fresh runs of fish. Like at night when it's raining and such. I've caught nice fresh fish as large as 28 lbs in that river.

aquatic-archer
08-20-2010, 08:50 PM
The fish are starting to run on the west side.
Picking up nice fresh fish and an occasional skamania.
Should be good to go by second weekend on the Betsie, Big Manistee,
and probably the Pere Marquette and White, these are the rivers I grew-up
fishing for over 30 years.
Heading up next monday and tuesday to the Big Manistee
if any one wants an update just shoot me a pm.

1173jared
08-20-2010, 10:20 PM
The fish are starting to run on the west side.
Picking up nice fresh fish and an occasional skamania.
Should be good to go by second weekend on the Betsie, Big Manistee,
and probably the Pere Marquette and White, these are the rivers I grew-up
fishing for over 30 years.
Heading up next monday and tuesday to the Big Manistee
if any one wants an update just shoot me a pm.

thanks for the info, the updates are GREAT...

pkuptruck
08-21-2010, 04:05 AM
Hardly. If you know when and how to find fresh runs of fish. Like at night when it's raining and such. I've caught nice fresh fish as large as 28 lbs in that river.

LMAO.. just yankin the chain.... tippy is as good as it gets , when the time is right! :multi:

wJAKE19
08-23-2010, 10:25 AM
I would go before then, but I am in Canada hunting Bear till the 20th of Sept.

sse
08-23-2010, 10:29 AM
I would go before then, but I am in Canada hunting Bear till the 20th of Sept.
Lucky stiff.............

shooter45acp
08-24-2010, 10:57 AM

Going either this weekend or the next next weekend not up to Tippy, but down stream. I just talked to my brother and he said that there are a few in the river.

That means I will be eating salmon for diner soon...:grin: :grin: :score: :thumbup: :yeahthat:

aquatic-archer
08-28-2010, 11:43 AM
Was up to the big manistee few fish at dam still early, went to the betsie and caught a limit had to work for them a little. There doing pretty good at the river mouths and lower ends of both rivers. Hope to make it to the white on monday.

TomE
09-05-2010, 09:55 PM
Its raining right now near the Croton Dam ,with temps down to 39 in Big Rapids last night , more rain tomorrow , the Mo is a rising

Shyster
09-05-2010, 10:39 PM
My brother in law and nephew were up at the mouth of the Manistee in a boat the last two days. The biggest fish was an 18lb King. They were catching them but it was slow going.

jay
09-05-2010, 11:32 PM
So we went........... and it was slow BUT there were fish, and very fresh fish in the river that weekend, they were jumping the damn at homestead and folks were catching them. Was it the big run everyone likes to see? No, but there were fish and no pressure which made a great weekend for us. Did we catch anything? Well no salmon but a rainbow and a few resident browns made it worth the trip. with the extreme heat in august they estimate the run to be around 2 - 3 weeks late this year which makes october a great month instead of a month picking up half dead stragglers. saw the post earlier asking about it and yes the end of the fall run is terrible for table fare compared to the spring steelhead run, but it is fun as hell. just a note tippy dam, the PM, the boardman, little and big manistee had nothing to show wne we were there. the betsie was barren of fish till that friday night when a huge rainstorm came in from the west and puished a pod of salmon up the river. since then they have had little in the way of rain to cause more fish to run. the best site i have found for updates is michiganstreamside.com good luck everyone!

Hockey9019
09-12-2010, 08:13 AM
Went to Tippy Friday night at 1155pm. Fished till 4am. About 30 people out there. Didn't take anything home. Had one on but it was off pretty fast.

I totally forgot about how much those stairs are a bitch climbing back up. I bet I could make cost + profit in a month with a chair lift there :lol:

Blag
09-12-2010, 09:26 PM
Went to the Allegan Dam today, was there for about 3 hours and landed this guy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/Blagnaskin/CIMG0133-1.jpg

Burs
09-13-2010, 07:03 AM
I have a place 7mils from tippy dam. going up this week and hope to get a line wet. but i have a lot of work to do. i go to the park on the north side only 5 stairs to the water.

aquatic-archer
09-23-2010, 01:13 AM
nice steelhead from allegan.

TomE
09-30-2010, 08:41 AM
I saw a couple beds made in the Muskegon ,around M-37

I saw fish on a lot of beds this morning , along with the circus pulling into town .

BoBBerRider2009
10-01-2010, 12:20 PM
tons of chins here in walhalla and a few steelies...so i hear...