PDA

View Full Version : Woods-N-Water Outdoor Weekend 9/10-9/12-Volunteers Needed!!!

Barrettone
08-16-2010, 12:36 PM
Howdy Folks!!!

MGO will be attending this event, and is looking for volunteers to help man the booth (with our new display items). If you can be of help, drop me a PM, and we'll plug you in. There is going to be fun o' plenty at this event, and I want everybody to take time to see the show while they are there. This is THE PREMIERE OUTDOOR EVENT in Michigan. Please consider coming out to enjoy and help grow YOUR organization. Secondly, don't forget that we are drawing for a gun at the end of the year from those that show up and volunteer at MGO events!!! I look forward to hearing from you. Ladies and kids are, of course, welcome.

Read below for details and links:

http://www.woods-n-waternews.com/Sissue-37607.292113-p24128.112113_Outdoor_Weekend_2008.html

Celebrate Michigan's outdoor heritage with us!
At the 2010 Woods-N-Water News Outdoor Weekend

by Randy Jorgensen

The Woods-N-Water News Outdoor Weekend is celebrating it's 24th season. Like always the first weekend after Labor Day, September 10th, 11th and 12th. And this one promises to be the best yet!

With crowds expected well over 15,000 show-goers and growing, we're happy to be known as an outdoor event which "Celebrates our outdoor heritage."

Another area we are proud of is being able to keep the price to attend low, it remains $7.00 per adult and 12 and under free. It is also free to park.

Outdoor Weekend 2010

All kinds of outdoor merchandise for sale
Need a New Hunting Buddy? Visit our Puppy Tent!
Ultimate Air Dogs Presents: The Ultimate AirGame Finals!
An Outdoor Weekend Favorite!
Chili Cook-Off!
See live whitetail deer!
Charlie Linblade dog training seminars and The Waterfowlers' Area...
Gun Auction: Offered by...Randy's Hunting Center
One of a kind performance!
Living History... A step back in time!
Traditional Black Powder Hunting

Visitors will be treated to timely and informative seminar speakers, quality outdoor merchandise to purchase, entertainment and lots of hands on things to see and do. Like past Outdoor Weekends we expect all available space to be sold out, well over 175 exhibitors.

There is a lot for everyone in the entire family to enjoy, great carnival type food, as well as traditional buffalo burgers, turkey drumsticks, jerky and venison stick samples. It's also a great opportunity for the kids of all ages to see live whitetail deer, and other exotic animals. You won't want to miss or visit one more time to see world class trophy whitetail bucks.

Everyone loves our Puppy Tent area where hundreds of hunting breed puppies find new homes. The Ultimate Air Dogs will be back at the Outdoor Weekend once again, with dogs not only from Micigan, but dogs from all across the country hoping to be crowned the new National Champ. The frontier encampment and civil war encampment area is back by popular demand as is the primitive skills area.

Bill Yoder has Forest, his 7 1/2 year old buck ready to put on a great show at the Outdoor Weekend September 5-7.
Most of the plans are in place for this year's Outdoor Weekend We are appreciative of our exhibitors, sponsors and show-goers, so mark your calendars for September, 10th, 11th and 12th. The Outdoor Weekend opens on Friday, Sept. 5 at 5 p.m. and closes at 9 p.m. On Saturday the show hours are 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., and Sunday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Our staff here at the Woods-N-Water News looks forward to seeing you all again, same place, same time and same price.

(Editor's Note: For more information visit our website at: www.woods-n-waternews.com or www.outdoorweekend.net)

PhotoTom
08-16-2010, 12:51 PM
(Between Flint and Port Huron, just off I-69, exit 168)

Signess
08-16-2010, 01:38 PM
PM sent

miked
08-16-2010, 01:44 PM
PM Sent

CnA
08-16-2010, 01:46 PM
PM sent for manning the booth on Saturday morning.

Barrettone
08-16-2010, 06:46 PM
Times for show are:

Friday 5pm-9pm
Saturday 9am-7pm
Sunday 9am-5pm

Volunteers so far:

Barrettone - Friday (Set-up to 5pm then floating when needed throughout weekend)
Teamster - Friday (5pm -Close)
Oldskoolford427 - Friday (5pm -Close)
CNA - Saturday AM (9am-2pm)
Maranatha - Saturday AM (9am-2pm)
prettyinpink - Saturday AM (9am-2pm)
Signess - Saturday PM (2pm-Close)
Miked - Saturday PM (2pm-Close)
Johnzilla - Sunday AM (9AM-1PM)
Olskoolford427 - Sunday AM (9AM-1PM)
kkolodsick - Sunday PM (1pm-Close)
Johnzilla - Sunday PM (1pm-Close)

***It is better to have at least two for the booth at all the time slots in case someone needs a bathroom/food break.

fbuckner
08-16-2010, 08:27 PM
Now this is exciting people taking the lead and working towards the future of MGO.

johnzilla
08-18-2010, 06:33 AM
PM sent. I can be there all of Sunday.

Is the booth space indoors or outdoors?

Is the booth space a single or a double? If double, we should try and have more volunteers in the booth.

NickS
08-18-2010, 08:50 AM
Indoors. Single.

Barrettone
08-18-2010, 10:15 AM
Indoors. Single.

We're under the tent and a single as Nick said. I wanted to be outside, but protected from inclement weather (best of both worlds IMO).

BTW...One more time slot to fill!!!

Jeff

Maranatha
08-18-2010, 03:24 PM
put me down for Saturday with CNA

Barrettone
08-18-2010, 04:12 PM
put me down for Saturday with CNA

Thanks Gary!!! We have the minimum required now to run the show. I would like to have more people though, so if you are willing to donate your time, PLEASE do not hesitate to let me know.

Barrettone
08-18-2010, 04:17 PM
If for ANY REASON, you cannot work your time slot, YOU NEED TO LET ME KNOW AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. No-shows and late arrivals really hurt us, so PLEASE be on time. I want to thank all the volunteers so far, and hope a few more chip in as well, as more hands make for less work. I can also use one person for set-up and one person for tear-down for the show, so if you cannot do a full shift, but can help with that, please let me know.

Jeff

prettyinpink
08-18-2010, 05:39 PM
Put me down for Saturday morning, I can help CNA and Gary.

Chris

Barrettone
08-18-2010, 06:38 PM
Put me down for Saturday morning, I can help CNA and Gary.

Chris

Awesome...thanks Chris!!!

johnzilla
08-19-2010, 07:18 AM
Like Jeff said, more folks in the booth doesn't hurt. It gives those who are there a chance to take a restroom break or walk around and enjoy the rest of the show. So just because the list is full, don't let that stop you! We can always go to 2 hour shifts instead of 4. :D

And if you are at the show, be sure to stop by the booth and introduce yourself to your fellow gun owners!

Maybe we can even get the Twitter account fired up and do some "tweeting" from the show. :D

A sincere thanks to everyone who is volunteering! :thumbup:

Maranatha
08-19-2010, 03:52 PM
Tweet...whats That

wwjmaj
08-19-2010, 04:35 PM
Tweet...whats That

What canaries do in their cages. Don't you watch classic Tweety Bird Cartoons?

Teamster
08-23-2010, 04:21 PM
PM sent can help saturday

Barrettone
08-23-2010, 05:51 PM
PM sent can help saturday

Added to schedule...THANKS!!!

Barrettone
08-27-2010, 01:01 PM
Had a cancellation for Friday PM...one more volunteer is needed for that slot!!!

Thanks,
Jeff

Barrettone
08-27-2010, 09:10 PM
Had a cancellation for Friday PM...one more volunteer is needed for that slot!!!

Thanks,
Jeff

All set...Thank you Teamster for switching!!!

Jeff

Barrettone
08-30-2010, 07:22 PM
Volunteers,

I will need all your real names and a mobile phone (if you have one) sent to me in a PM so I can get badges made for you so you don't have to pay admission to get in and so I can get ahold of you if necessary. Parking is free from what they told me. You will go to "Will Call", and a vendor badge will be waiting for you. My phone number is in my signature line. KEEP IT WITH YOU!!! If you have an issue at the gate, THAT IS YOUR LIFELINE!!!

Thanks!!!

Barrettone
08-31-2010, 10:26 PM
To Update:

Times for show are:

Friday 5pm-9pm
Saturday 9am-7pm
Sunday 9am-5pm

Volunteers so far:

Barrettone - Friday (Set-up to 5pm then floating when needed throughout weekend)
Teamster - Friday (5pm -Close) info received
Oldskoolford427 - Friday (5pm -Close)
CNA - Saturday AM (9am-2pm) info received
Maranatha - Saturday AM (9am-2pm) info received
prettyinpink - Saturday AM (9am-2pm) info received
dougwg - Saturday PM (12 noon-4pm?) info received
Signess - Saturday PM (2pm-Close) info received
Miked - Saturday PM (2pm-Close) info received
Islander48506 - Saturday PM (4pm-Close) info received
Johnzilla - Sunday AM (9AM-1PM) info received
Olskoolford427 - Sunday AM (9AM-1PM)
kkolodsick - Sunday PM (1pm-Close) info received
Johnzilla - Sunday PM (1pm-Close) info received

***It is better to have at least two for the booth at all the time slots in case someone needs a bathroom/food break.

I will be out of town from wednesday through Labor Day for vacation. I will have limited internet access until then, so please be patient if I do not respond immediately to inquirees...Thanks!!!

dougwg
09-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Ok, the wife has to work Saturday and I got the avatar. I can help with a swing shift, 11 or 12 till when ever the kid says "TAKE ME HOME!"

:)

Barrettone
09-08-2010, 11:35 PM
Ok, the wife has to work Saturday and I got the avatar. I can help with a swing shift, 11 or 12 till when ever the kid says "TAKE ME HOME!"

:)

Thanks Doug!!!

Maranatha
09-09-2010, 06:08 PM
Okay Jeff, is there a map or a way to find our table. or can you post coordinates when you set up Friday

Barrettone
09-10-2010, 10:43 AM
Okay Jeff, is there a map or a way to find our table. or can you post coordinates when you set up Friday

All that info will be at the "vendor will call".

CnA
09-10-2010, 11:55 AM
Anyone know if there is construction on 69? I'll be taking US-23 to 69 and last year 69 was a mess.

miked
09-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Anyone know if there is construction on 69? I'll be taking US-23 to 69 and last year 69 was a mess.

There was construction east of Davison most of the summer, not sure if it's still ongoing or not.

Islander48506
09-10-2010, 06:34 PM
There was construction east of Davison most of the summer, not sure if it's still ongoing or not.
Yes! Still construction til' the end of Lapeer.

Barrettone
09-10-2010, 09:15 PM
All is set up at the show, and everybody should be breifed by the people they are relieving. The show looks great!!! Be sure to take some time to look around. The booth is well staffed, so please smell the roses a little!!! Food is awesome, and there is a LOT of cool stuff to see.

Thank you to all who are volunteering!!!

Maranatha
09-11-2010, 08:30 PM
had Good time at the Show, Lots of People, by 2:00 we had 6 pages of MGO Petition Signed. Passed out a Lot of Tri-folds.

Thanks CNA and "A" and Chris, Nice working with you

johnzilla
09-12-2010, 08:55 AM
Hey, if anyone is coming up to the show in Imlay City today, we need blank petition sheets!!

Maranatha
09-12-2010, 10:43 AM
John, I didn't have any legal paper at Home so I stopped at work and made 11 copies, all I would dare to make,

Sorry Wish I could not have made More

and another Legal Size clip board would be nice (I only had one at Home) we had people lining Up to Sign it

kingfish55
09-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Went to Woods-n-waters this morning stopped by the MGO booth and signed the petition. Lots of people there.

miked
09-12-2010, 11:58 AM
had Good time at the Show, Lots of People, by 2:00 we had 6 pages of MGO Petition Signed. Passed out a Lot of Tri-folds.

Thanks CNA and "A" and Chris, Nice working with you

We didn't get quite as many in the afternoon. We finished a sheet the morning crew started started and finished 3-4 more. The crowds died out early, probably because of the rain.

I had one guy in particular that stood out to me; he wouldn't sign it because he felt that there should be some places should be gun free, but he stuck around debating the issue a while and after several minutes, he finally signed it. He said he just wanted to see where we were going with it.

I guess I shouldn't be, but I was amazed by the number of people that stated that they had or were planning on getting their CPL but didn't see the need to eliminate CEZ'z.

I had a good time meeting and talking to other MGO members and random folks at the show.

FYI - The wood stocked AR is quite a conversation starter.

Islander48506
09-12-2010, 04:12 PM
We didn't get quite as many in the afternoon. We finished a sheet the morning crew started started and finished 3-4 more. The crowds died out early, probably because of the rain.

I had one guy in particular that stood out to me; he wouldn't sign it because he felt that there should be some places should be gun free, but he stuck around debating the issue a while and after several minutes, he finally signed it. He said he just wanted to see where we were going with it.

I guess I shouldn't be, but I was amazed by the number of people that stated that they had or were planning on getting their CPL but didn't see the need to eliminate CEZ'z.

I had a good time meeting and talking to other MGO members and random folks at the show.

Had the Opportunity to meet with really intellegent members of MGO group. Despit the rain fall. Petition sing ups were great also even though some people didn't agree with it, they still signed in. it was great! Got a new wind breaker jacket as well as the others that were at the booth thanks to signess I think that was him. Anyways you know who you are! Thanks...! Note: must bring food, wind breaker jacket, drinks just incase... LoL!

johnzilla
09-12-2010, 07:59 PM
Many thanks to everyone who volunteered and to everyone who stopped by the booth. Big crowds today, all day. Even right up until 4:30 or so there were people coming through. Lots of families, too.

The Sunday crew picked the trailer clean...we ran out of MGO tri-folds, ran out of petition sheets, then we gave out all of the Safe Storage brochures, then we gave out all of the pens we could find (because they had the URL on them), we gave out all of the SAFR bumper stickers, and after all of that we started giving out B4K brochures. There's nothing left in the trailer! LOL

Lessons learned for next show: we need 5,000 trifolds, minimum, per 3-day show. We need 100 petition sheets and at least 3 legal size clipboards. Even though we ran out of everything, we still got the chance to talk to a lot of people and answer a lot of questions so it is all good.

I will get the 100 petition sheets and 3 legal size clipboards this week and get them into the trailer. More trifolds are already in the works.

Barrettone
09-12-2010, 08:09 PM

Thanks miked,

That was a little show trick I learned. You gotta have a little "eye candy", and I felt that a walnut furniture AR and a 10 guage semi-auto with a 10 shot extension would do the trick. The Glock 17 with a stainless finish is an odd duck as well. The guns suck 'em in and start the conversation fer sure.

BTW...Thanks to all who worked, and especially to my fellow BoD'er Johnzilla and former BoD member Maranatha for taking the lead on Saturday and Sunday. It is truly amazing what we can pull off when we all pull together. I was AMAZED when Johnzilla called and told me ran out of flyers!!! That was AWESOME!!! We DEFINTELY need to have a presence at this show again next year!!! 8)

dougwg
09-12-2010, 09:50 PM
Thanks miked,

That was a little show trick I learned. You gotta have a little "eye candy", and I felt that a walnut furniture AR and a 10 guage semi-auto with a 10 shot extension would do the trick. The Glock 17 with a stainless finish is an odd duck as well. The guns suck 'em in and start the conversation fer sure.

BTW...Thanks to all who worked, and especially to my fellow BoD'er Johnzilla and former BoD member Maranatha for taking the lead on Saturday and Sunday. It is truly amazing what we can pull off when we all pull together. I was AMAZED when Johnzilla called and told me ran out of flyers!!! That was AWESOME!!! We DEFINTELY need to have a presence at this show again next year!!! 8)
Your block is rusty. ;-)

Signess
09-12-2010, 09:57 PM
Your block is rusty. ;-)
:rofl: That's only because Doug left it sitting in the rain for an hour before fold up time. :spank:

dougwg
09-12-2010, 10:29 PM
:rofl: That's only because Doug left it sitting in the rain for an hour before fold up time. :spank:
no, that was the AR, but I only did that to make sure it was real wood :)

Islander48506
09-12-2010, 11:26 PM
no, that was the AR, but I only did that to make sure it was real wood :)
Hahaha!

fbuckner
09-13-2010, 05:33 AM
I know where you can buy a glock,10ga and a AR with walnut trimmings at a good price right now. I need to make room in my safe LOL !!!:hide:

CnA
09-13-2010, 07:59 AM
Anyone else see the poser (alleged) in the Army uniform with an Airborne patch?
He asked if the Glock and Gary's M&P9 were semi auto. :wtf:

miked
09-13-2010, 08:45 AM
Anyone else see the poser (alleged) in the Army uniform with an Airborne patch?
He asked if the Glock and Gary's M&P9 were semi auto. :wtf:

I didn't see that but I had several people ask if the AR was full auto. A few of the kids asked if the guns were Airsoft :-D

johnzilla
09-13-2010, 10:42 AM
I didn't see that but I had several people ask if the AR was full auto. A few of the kids asked if the guns were Airsoft :-D

The guns certainly drew the kids. Many on Sunday knew exactly what the guns were. They kept calling the Glock a "G18" and I would just look at them and say "Modern Warfare 2?" and get a sheepish grin in response. Then I'd have to burst their bubble and tell them it wasn't full auto like a Glock 18. LOL A couple kids walked up, looked at the shotgun, and exclaimed "that's a ten gauge!". It was good to know so many parents are teaching their kids at a young age. :D

kkolodsick
09-13-2010, 11:09 AM
The guns certainly drew the kids. Many on Sunday knew exactly what the guns were. They kept calling the Glock a "G18" and I would just look at them and say "Modern Warfare 2?" and get a sheepish grin in response. Then I'd have to burst their bubble and tell them it wasn't full auto like a Glock 18. LOL A couple kids walked up, looked at the shotgun, and exclaimed "that's a ten gauge!". It was good to know so many parents are teaching their kids at a young age. :D

Don't forget the kid that said the G17 looked like a P90 or the other that asked if it was a Desert Eagle!

Maranatha
09-13-2010, 04:03 PM
Jeff you can Sign me up up for Next Year on Saturday Morning, and we really need to get some merchandise to sell and a Bigger Booth. and we really need a Bigger Logo on the trailer.

and I was thinking, I know it would be a Pain, but we need a code number on the tri-fold for these shows, that would Identify to Nick what show they come from when people join, it would be nice to which shows generate membership.

I'm willing to do the Mt Clemens show if we can get more volunteers

Signess
09-13-2010, 04:17 PM
Jeff you can Sign me up up for Next Year on Saturday Morning, and we really need to get some merchandise to sell and a Bigger Booth. and we really need a Bigger Logo on the trailer.

and I was thinking, I know it would be a Pain, but we need a code number on the tri-fold for these shows, that would Identify to Nick what show they come from when people join, it would be nice to which shows generate membership.

I'm willing to do the Mt Clemens show if we can get more volunteers

I agree on all the above. Two of which should already be in motion. Although, I don't know how that's going to work in regards to the merchandise, and having it "on hand".

What show are you talking about at Mt. Clemens Gary? Just the "Gun and Knife Show"? Or is there a different event that I'm unaware of? Regardless, I'd be willing to pull a shift at a Mt. Clemens show.

fbuckner
09-13-2010, 04:24 PM
The trailer will be hauled to a place in Owosso to get the sides redone with a really large logo on it this week.

Maranatha
09-13-2010, 04:26 PM
Gun and Knife Show, as we get closer to hunting those shows pick up,

I can't tell you how many People Thanked me Saturday for what MGO is Doing.

Can you imagine how many Signatures we can get on that Petition in a Weekend at The Gun Show

Signess
09-13-2010, 04:30 PM
The trailer will be hauled to a place in Owosso to get the sides redone with a really large logo on it this week.

:woohoo1:
Hey, I believe I know a graphics guy in that neck of the woods.

Maranatha
09-13-2010, 05:26 PM

you should really wait until we get our new logo. its crazy to put this one if we plan on Changing

miked
09-13-2010, 05:48 PM
Gun and Knife Show, as we get closer to hunting those shows pick up,

I can't tell you how many People Thanked me Saturday for what MGO is Doing.

Can you imagine how many Signatures we can get on that Petition in a Weekend at The Gun Show

What are the dates for this show?

Maranatha
09-13-2010, 05:59 PM
What are the dates for this show?

the Next Show at Gibraltar Mt Clemens is OCTOBER 15-16-17

show Hours are
SHOW HOURS:
FRI. 12:00-9:00
SAT. 10:00-6:00
SUN. 10:00-6:00

Islander48506
09-14-2010, 02:39 PM
Is anyone doing car pooling on the day of the event from Flint? just a thought.

NickS
09-14-2010, 02:40 PM
You might want to think about starting a new thread for this event so you can track it. JMHO :hide: