PDA

View Full Version : HB 6403 & 6404 More special exceptions

Tallbear
08-26-2010, 06:06 AM
HB 6403 of 2010 (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=2010-HB-6403)
Weapons; concealed; railroad police officers; exempt from requirement of obtaining license to carry a concealed pistol.
Last Action: 8/25/2010 referred to Committee on Tourism, Outdoor Recreation and Natural Resources
HB 6404 of 2010 (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=2010-HB-6404)
Weapons; concealed; railroad police officers; provide Michigan penal code firearm provisions exemption for railroad police officers.
Last Action: 8/25/2010 referred to Committee on Tourism, Outdoor Recreation and Natural Resourc

Shyster
08-26-2010, 07:08 AM
HB 6403 of 2010 (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=2010-HB-6403)
Weapons; concealed; railroad police officers; exempt from requirement of obtaining license to carry a concealed pistol.
Last Action: 8/25/2010 referred to Committee on Tourism, Outdoor Recreation and Natural Resources
HB 6404 of 2010 (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=2010-HB-6404)
Weapons; concealed; railroad police officers; provide Michigan penal code firearm provisions exemption for railroad police officers.
Last Action: 8/25/2010 referred to Committee on Tourism, Outdoor Recreation and Natural Resourc
We should be opposing these special exceptions.

zigziggityzoo
08-26-2010, 07:11 AM
Soon they'll exempt all officers of the court, including private attorneys....

What's the deal with all of these? If we're going to let 10% of the population of the state to be exempted, why not the rest?

Ken1973
08-27-2010, 01:56 AM
There's like 3 railroad police officers in the entire state. At least, last I worked for CSX, they were down to one for MI and had no plans to hire more.

enigmatical
08-27-2010, 09:10 AM
Are there any railroads in PFZ's?

They must have a serious PAC.

Unistat76
08-27-2010, 10:07 AM

What's the deal with all of these? If we're going to let 10% of the population of the state to be exempted, why not the rest?

Ok, that sounds like a plan. I will support anything that errodes pistol free zones.

chewy
08-27-2010, 10:18 AM
RR Cops are actual cops you know... they can arrest and everything. There are quite a few rail cops here. I worked with them a lot when i was on our Rail Desk before coming to Firearms. I don't see any reason they shouldn't be exempt... they are sworn peace officers just like any city copper.

chewy
08-27-2010, 10:19 AM
Are there any railroads in PFZ's?

They must have a serious PAC.

Rail cops are state (or Federal) sworn officers just like the local cops and deputies. Their authority doesn't only cover just rail road tracks.

thatguy423
08-27-2010, 10:21 AM
RR Cops are actual cops you know... they can arrest and everything. There are quite a few rail cops here. I worked with them a lot when i was on our Rail Desk before coming to Firearms. I don't see any reason they shouldn't be exempt... they are sworn peace officers just like any city copper.

Yeah we've got quite a few in Detroit.. Most of them came from municipal PD's for better pay, Take home cars, Better pension etc..

TheTrainingTeamCPL
08-27-2010, 10:49 AM
if they are sworn LEO, wouldnt they already be exempt?

chewy
08-27-2010, 11:22 AM
There's like 3 railroad police officers in the entire state. At least, last I worked for CSX, they were down to one for MI and had no plans to hire more.

That's just CSX. They have rail cops here for CP, CN, NS and too as well as Amtrack but they are Federal LEO's and I think already have full carry authroity.

Fatboycykes
08-27-2010, 01:33 PM
if they are sworn LEO, wouldnt they already be exempt?

Yea, this....?

chewy
08-27-2010, 02:53 PM
Yea, this....?

Some are state sworn or federal but some are also special police and aren't actual sworn officers.

dpgperftest
08-27-2010, 04:19 PM
We should be opposing these special exceptions.
+1 :smoke:

Super Trucker
08-27-2010, 08:06 PM
Why are they any more special then the clerk at 7/11?

This is another BS bill that needs to be opposed.

In the last 5 years have there been more RR cops killed than 7/11 clerks? I doubt it.

hopeitsfast
08-27-2010, 08:09 PM
Why are they any more special then the clerk at 7/11?

This is another BS bill that needs to be opposed.

In the last 5 years have there been more RR cops killed than 7/11 clerks? I doubt it.
Dude....they're special. Don't you get it? Just to make you happy...There's another bill for Corrections officers too.

appliancebrad
08-28-2010, 05:26 AM
Our research shows that they are not LEO's, they are simply private security guards that get registered with MSP. If they were MCOLES certified and working for an agency, they wouldn't need a CPL or an exemption. But they are not cops, they are employees of the railroad. Security Guards and nothing more working under a statute that dates back to when railroads were a much bigger force in Lansing.

NRA will oppose this, they are against any more carve outs. Prosecutors are stalled from getting the exemption right now. I can't see this going far but we (SAFR) are on it.

In the 10 years since Shall Issue has been law in MI, we've only removed one CEZ. There is little support to reduce the list of places we can't carry. That's a political reality. I've come around on carve outs but we need to pass some for people other than those who are part of the court and penal system. We can then start to make it where when everyone is special, no one is.

Quaamik
08-29-2010, 06:16 PM
In the 10 years since Shall Issue has been law in MI, we've only removed one CEZ. There is little support to reduce the list of places we can't carry. That's a political reality. I've come around on carve outs but we need to pass some for people other than those who are part of the court and penal system. We can then start to make it where when everyone is special, no one is.

The political reality is that in 1992 there was zero political support for shall issue in Michigan. Eight years later we managed to get it passed.

The political reality is that in 2000 there was little or no political support for allowing CPL holders to carry in national parks. Eight years later that was signed into law.

We managed to remove one. GREAT! Lets go after the rest. It may take a while. But if we concentrate of examptions for this group or that group, we will never get there.

Enough with the carve outs. Until and unless they are paired with the elimination of at least one CEZ for everyone else, we should not support them. I'm sorry if your not exempt and your job requires you to deal with the scum of the earth, regulary P*** them off, and hand them business cards with your name, social security number, home address and pictures of your family. If it does, start screaming to get CEZs eliminated - not for special treatment.

I'm tired of being told that I'm going to have to live with my "second class" CPL until every special interest out there has an exemption to the CEZs and then hope that magically the politicians who have opposed thier elimination will "see the light".

thatguy423
08-29-2010, 07:36 PM
Our research shows that they are not LEO's, they are simply private security guards that get registered with MSP. If they were MCOLES certified and working for an agency, they wouldn't need a CPL or an exemption. But they are not cops, they are employees of the railroad. Security Guards and nothing more working under a statute that dates back to when railroads were a much bigger force in Lansing.

NRA will oppose this, they are against any more carve outs. Prosecutors are stalled from getting the exemption right now. I can't see this going far but we (SAFR) are on it.

Wrong.. They have arrest jurisdiction in any state that the railroad they work for owns property in.. Very far from "security guard" any way you look at it..

appliancebrad
08-30-2010, 12:26 AM
Wrong.. They have arrest jurisdiction in any state that the railroad they work for owns property in.. Very far from "security guard" any way you look at it..

SAFR's attorney has researched the statute. They are Security Guards with special blessings from MSP. Repeat, they are employees of a private corporation. Not the feds nor a state, county, city village, township or any other unit of governmnet. They do not require MCOLES certification. Why give them a pass?

Signess
08-30-2010, 08:22 AM
Seems we have a civil misconception here. Could anyone cite a factual link to support the claims mentioned? I'd like to have a clarification as well. Thanks...

esq_stu
08-30-2010, 08:26 AM

What's the deal with all of these? If we're going to let 10% of the population of the state to be exempted, why not the rest?OK, now that's a start! :multi: :biggrin: :scratch: :mischeif: 8) :bounce: :banana: :popcorn: Obviously I have mixed feelings.

appliancebrad
08-30-2010, 07:43 PM
SAFR's attorney has researched the statute. They are Security Guards with special blessings from MSP. Repeat, they are employees of a private corporation. Not the feds nor a state, county, city village, township or any other unit of governmnet. They do not require MCOLES certification. Why give them a pass?

I stand corrected in that they do require MCOLES certification but they are still private employees.

Cite (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(lzni2delvfew4d55dyzyslud))/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=mcl-462-367&query=on&highlight=RAILROAD%20AND%20POLICE)

Signess
08-30-2010, 09:32 PM
OK, now that's a start! :multi: :biggrin: :scratch: :mischeif: 8) :bounce: :banana: :popcorn: Obviously I have mixed feelings.

Hey now! :lolup:

Made_in_Michigan
08-30-2010, 09:36 PM
HB6403: The Why Railroad Cops Have More Right To Protect Themselves and Their Families Than Mere Taxpayers Bill.

Vulgar

Ken1973
08-31-2010, 03:47 AM

Yeah, basically on or around RR property you don't want to mess with the RR cops.