PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy my first hand gun

furnaceman787
08-27-2010, 01:53 PM
I just got my PP.
Looking for recommendations for my first hand gun.
I know I want a 9mm,and I was looking at a Springfield XD.

DLL9MM
08-27-2010, 01:55 PM
Get a Glock 19.

miked
08-27-2010, 02:16 PM
I'm no expert, but per my own experience: Try anything you think you are interested in first, and even a few you aren't interested in. By "try" I mean go to a range and work the gun, don't just shoot a couple rounds and call it good. Rent or borrow a gun and put many rounds downrange,do magazine reloads, gun function manipulations, etc.

Everyone has their own favorite and theirs might not work for you.

I've gone through a Ruger, Kel-Tec, M&P and now a Glock. Some I tried on recommendation, some based on how they felt in the store. Finally, I found that the Glock worked best for me on the range.

Had I spent more time shooting each one before buying I could have saved myself a bit of time and money.

TylerPearce
08-27-2010, 02:38 PM
I loved my ruger p89dc as a first pistol. It has almost no recoil, and is VERY durable. However, I didn't pick it out, my dad gave it to me. I now own more guns, and to be honest I like them all just about equally. They all have advantages, and they all have their shortcomings, but it is mainly personal preference. If it fits your hands well, has a reliable reputation, and you like the controls on it, it will be a fun gun no matter what. If you are ever planning to Concealed carry, which I am someday, keep that in mind. I have a glock 27 that I LOVE, and one day it will make a great concealed carry weapon.

But in my opinion, GLOCK 17 or 19, probably 19.

Will-IB-Ready
08-27-2010, 02:43 PM
The only semi-autos that I ever recommend are Glock 19 or M&P 9.

JimSig
08-27-2010, 03:37 PM
I just got my PP.

You should have asked this question and did your research before you got your permit, you have 10 days from now and the clock is ticking.. tic, tic, tic.... Now you will be bombarded by personal opinions. Before anybody can help you with a good advice you should state some specific things you are looking for in a gun.

Are you planning on using the gun for future carry when you get a CPL?

What size are your hands.. for example, the Glock 19 is an excellent gun, but with my fat hands I was getting slide brushes from my Glock 23 (same size as a 19) and I ended up adding a beaver tail to the gun.

Are you sensitive to the weight of the gun, this will dictate if you want a polymer/plastic frame or an all metal/alloy frame....

Do you like a specific gun (and it could be a personal thingy - it could be the ugliest gun but you like it)..

and on and on and on.. The list of parameters to consider is long.. Now that said, and if you want a gun that is easy to shoot (as a first timer) I would recommend an FNP9. It is lightweight, plastic frame, well balanced, it points like a SIG (something new shooters prefer over the agressive Glock grip - by the way after you become profficient you will appreciate the glock grip), nice trigger and with external safety and deckoer, something that makes new shooters comfortable around the gun.. And the price is really really good..

GPintheMitten
08-27-2010, 03:43 PM
Well, 10 days to consider what you and another 2 dozen posters say is enough time and it's better than going to the store and buying an XD without any consideration as to the alternatives....not that anything's wrong with that. He can always go do that when he runs out of time.

Dansjeep2000
08-27-2010, 03:49 PM
I would like to add another +1 for the Glock 19. I own a G19 and many others, but if I had to give up all my pistols but 1 the keeper would be a G19

jtc4313
08-27-2010, 03:51 PM
Glock 19
________
Mazda f3a transmission specifications (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Mazda_F3A_transmission)

.44Smith&Wesson
08-27-2010, 03:51 PM
Smith and Wesson M&P 9.
At $400 give or take, it's the best deal going.

Will-IB-Ready
08-27-2010, 04:01 PM
Smith and Wesson M&P 9.
At $400 give or take, it's the best deal going.
If you can get one for that, (please don't bother linking to Bob's sale) I'd say go for it. I paid $510 for mine. Still worth every penny.

GPintheMitten
08-27-2010, 04:23 PM
Here's info on Bob's:

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=102959

crowens
08-27-2010, 04:28 PM
GLOCK ALL DAY. XD's are garbage.

furnaceman787
08-27-2010, 05:02 PM
You should have asked this question and did your research before you got your permit, you have 10 days from now and the clock is ticking.. tic, tic, tic.... Now you will be bombarded by personal opinions. Before anybody can help you with a good advice you should state some specific things you are looking for in a gun.

Are you planning on using the gun for future carry when you get a CPL?

What size are your hands.. for example, the Glock 19 is an excellent gun, but with my fat hands I was getting slide brushes from my Glock 23 (same size as a 19) and I ended up adding a beaver tail to the gun.

Are you sensitive to the weight of the gun, this will dictate if you want a polymer/plastic frame or an all metal/alloy frame....

Do you like a specific gun (and it could be a personal thingy - it could be the ugliest gun but you like it)..

and on and on and on.. The list of parameters to consider is long.. Now that said, and if you want a gun that is easy to shoot (as a first timer) I would recommend an FNP9. It is lightweight, plastic frame, well balanced, it points like a SIG (something new shooters prefer over the agressive Glock grip - by the way after you become profficient you will appreciate the glock grip), nice trigger and with external safety and deckoer, something that makes new shooters comfortable around the gun.. And the price is really really good..
WOW!Really Guy?
Just said I was looking for some advice.
I'M 6'5 240 pounds pretty big hands,I have 3 dogs and 5 cars,I own a business anything else you want to know.
This will be my first Pistol didn't say I wasn't going to buy anymore.

GPintheMitten
08-27-2010, 05:09 PM
never mind.

dougwg
08-27-2010, 05:42 PM
WOW!Really Guy?
Just said I was looking for some advice.
I'M 6'5 240 pounds pretty big hands,I have 3 dogs and 5 cars,I own a business anything else you want to know.
This will be my first Pistol didn't say I wasn't going to buy anymore.
Jim is VERY helpful.

He is just trying to help you.

You asked for advice, in order to give you "good" advice, yes, we need some info from you.

Regardless of your screen name, you could be a 95lb, 60 y/o women for all we know.

You will see that this bunch of gun nuts are very helpful and most would give you the shirt off their back if you need it.

Welcome to MGO and hand gun ownership.

P.S. XD's suck monkey balls, don't let anyone tell you any different.

Will-IB-Ready
08-27-2010, 05:56 PM
Jim is VERY helpful.

He is just trying to help you.

You asked for advice, in order to give you "good" advice, yes, we need some info from you.

Regardless of your screen name, you could be a 95lb, 60 y/o women for all we know.

You will see that this bunch of gun nuts are very helpful and most would give you the shirt off their back if you need it.

Welcome to MGO and hand gun ownership.

P.S. XD's suck monkey balls, don't let anyone tell you any different.
+1
I totally agree. A little piece of advice (friendly advice): If you're too thin-skinned, internet forums are going to be tough to handle. People tend to come off as abrasive even without meaning to. I thought Jim's post was dead on. Coming on a gun board and asking "What gun should I buy?" is like going on a woman's forum and asking "What shoes should I buy?". The obvious answer to both questions is: "All of them!!"

For us to be any use, it's good to give us parameters to work in.

Best of luck.

Oh, and Glock 19's are the very best handgun for defensive use ever made. Just sayin'...

GPintheMitten
08-27-2010, 06:06 PM
I suggested he post a thread about this when I saw in another thread he was thinking of getting an XD.

Let's just tell him what we need to know to help him and skip the part about what he shoulda coulda done before. Nobody can change the past.

That said, after re-reading JimSig's response, I hear it in a more helpful tone than I first heard it, if you know what I mean.

hopeitsfast
08-27-2010, 06:21 PM
Oh, and Glock 19's are the very best handgun for defensive use ever made. Just sayin'...
Debatable, but if i could only pick one, it would be my 19.

Will-IB-Ready
08-27-2010, 06:24 PM
Debatable, but if i could only pick one, it would be my 19.
You can debate it if you want. :grin:

Jdfiz
08-27-2010, 06:30 PM
Another vote for the Glock 19.

furnaceman787
08-27-2010, 07:00 PM
SORRY FELLAS JUST HAVING A BAD DAY.
So you guys are saying the XD is no good.

hopeitsfast
08-27-2010, 07:03 PM
SORRY FELLAS JUST HAVING A BAD DAY.
So you guys are saying the XD is no good.
You know what they say about opinions right...LOL. Some love the XD, some, not so much.

GPintheMitten
08-27-2010, 07:07 PM
I'm no expert, but if you get in a fight for your life, do you want a gun that you must grasp in a certain way before it will fire?

I personally feel that the backstrap safety is something I don't want. But many people like them.

If one of the more experienced folks could chime in on this, I think it will help.

My next gun is going to be either a Glock or an M&P, depending on what seems to fit my hand and natural point of aiming best and what I can shoot more accurately.

furnaceman787
08-27-2010, 07:14 PM
I don't even know if the guy at the store showed me a Glock 19
He just kept talking about the XD.I will ask to see a Glock when I go in there tomorrow.
Does anybody know the price difference between the 2 the XD I was looking at was $549+

hopeitsfast
08-27-2010, 07:21 PM
He just kept talking about the XD.I will ask to see a Glock when I go in there tomorrow.
Does anybody know the price difference between the 2 the XD I was looking at was $549+
What store?

Jdfiz
08-27-2010, 07:23 PM

I can't tell you what the XD goes for around here, but you can get a 19
for $561 and change out the door. I would say they are about the same
price

furnaceman787
08-27-2010, 07:24 PM
Target Sports in Orchard Lake Village

Will-IB-Ready
08-27-2010, 07:53 PM
Target Sports in Orchard Lake Village
Just don't listen to a word most gun store guys say. They are notoriously ill informed...

GPintheMitten
08-27-2010, 07:54 PM
I suggest you take a look at the marketplace...firearms for sale ,,,on this site. You might find a lightly used gun for a good price.

hopeitsfast
08-27-2010, 08:58 PM
If you end up trying, and liking a Glock. This seems like a good price.

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=102896

Will-IB-Ready
08-27-2010, 09:03 PM
If you end up trying, and liking a Glock. This seems like a good price.

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=102896
Dang. That is a good price...

dpgperftest
08-27-2010, 09:07 PM
I just got my PP.
I have a XD 9mm 4" service mod and love it.your going to here alot of BS go with what fits the best If you lived close i let you try mine . my first hand guns was a 357 and 44mag S&W.

thay are all good guns just to many fan boyz out here S&W the best xd,sig,colt .than maybe Gllllock

JimSig
08-27-2010, 11:20 PM
Doug, Chris, thanks for clarifying my post.. :cheers:

To the furnaceman787, I really wanted to help out.. When somebody asks me what handgun shall I get, my answer is "I don't know which gun might work well for you". Each gun is designed differently, trigger pull, grip angle, distance between back of grip to trigger reach, hammer versus striker.. I am throwing these things not to to scare you or to show off, these are starter points for you to consider when you start your research about guns.. The best way is to do some reading and compile a preliminary list of handguns, say 5 or 6 handguns.. Then go to a gunshop that has a range and gun rental (I recommend topguns in Taylor or Firing Line in Canton).. Then rent these guns in pairs and do a pair comparison on the range. This way, you can tell which gun feels better in your hand, which gun is easier for you to shoot more accrately.. And Accuracy by the way is tricky. Most new shooters tend to describe guns as this one is more accurate than that gun.. The truth of the matter is that all modern handguns are equally accurate..However, some of them are easier for a certain shooter to handle than others.. Depending on the ergonomis of the gun, trigger design, and trigger reach, etc.. the only way for you to know is to try a couple.. For instance most new shooters shoot Glocks low left (if they are right handed) or low right if they are left handed.. The reason is that pulling the Glock trigger for a new shooter is trick and the shooter has a tendency to push the gun sidesway as he/she pulls the trigger. These, practices are ofcourse enhanced by proper training and trigger time at the range. Eventually you can shoot most guns but you still prefer some over others and that's why there are so many designs out there.

On the Durability front.. Most guys who recommended Glocks and M&P9's are right on the target.. These are extremely durable. As a matter of fact my daily carry is a Glock 23 (same size as a Glock 19), and I use Glock 17 in my IDPA matches.. But I also have a bunch of other guns because I like them too (for other reasons, let's say that I am fascinated by their designs...Ok, well I just love them all, here you go).

As a recommendation, I will give you preliminary short list of handguns for you to go out there and try to rent and evaluate:

1) Glock 19 (the compact design)
pros. glock reliability, compact for concealed carry.
Possible cons. If your hands are big, you migh get slide brushes.. The only way to tell is to handle the gun and shoot it and see if it leaves any trackes on your hand above the web of your hand. Another possible con on the glock is that you have to learn how to shoot it and control the trigger. The learning curve is a little bit longer than other gun, but once you get used to the grip angle and the trigger you will appreciate its unique design.
2) Glock 17 the bigger brothe of the Glock 19, It comes in full size and it has all the pros of the G19, and given your height and weight, you will be able to conceal it easily. Plus in my case I don't get the slide brushes.
3) M&P9: full size or compact
pros. Excellent reliability, good capaity, It points more naturally to new shooters, easier learning curve to learn how to shoot it.
cons. You might need to do some gunsmithing work on the trigger.. BUt the good thing is that we have one of the best M&P gun smith on MGO and he can make your gun shoot like butter (his name will be released if you buy an M&P :)
4) FNP9
pros. All the pros of the M&P9 and with superior out of the box trigger quality.
Cons. Some people don't like the external safety or the fact that it has a hammer. Again, this is very subjective, and I don't view it as a con at all.
5) CZ 75 (an all metal frame)
pros. easiest gun to shoot and all new shooters love it.. Its weight and balance absorb the recoil and new shooters handle it well and they shoot better at first time.
cons. it is heavy.. Don't plan on carrying this all day.

all these guns are in your price range.. Ofcourse there are other excellent guns out there like SIGs and H&Ks but then they are in a different price range.

So go out there and try these guns and have fun.. Buying your first gun should be a very positive and learning experience.. Best of luck..:bounce:

.44Smith&Wesson
08-27-2010, 11:33 PM
If you can get one for that, (please don't bother linking to Bob's sale) I'd say go for it. I paid $510 for mine. Still worth every penny.

Well, I bought mine slightly used at that price, which is how I buy most of my stuff. But yes you can get them new, if you need it, for that price. And it's a great weapon.

It may be worth $500+ but it is nice to get it alot cheaper. ;-)
Thinking about selling yours?

tdbrown1969
08-27-2010, 11:48 PM
http://www.midwestgunexchange.com/images/dynamic/file/MGE2010.pdf

The place above has the M&P 9MM or 40CAL for $449.00,also the M&P 45 for $489.00.All 3 pistols come with a $50 rebate or 2 extra mags.Sale ends on 8-31-10,td

tdbrown1969
08-27-2010, 11:52 PM

Chris,I just picked up a used M&P9 this past week in the Wendy's parking lot(you know the one) :) for $525,came with 2 mags and 400 rounds of Fedral 9mm.Only had 150 rounds through it.Looks like new,tom

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101527

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa278/tdbrown1969/mp9.jpg

Will-IB-Ready
08-28-2010, 12:42 AM
Chris,I just picked up a used M&P9 this past week in the Wendy's parking lot(you know the one) :) for $525,came with 2 mags and 400 rounds of Fedral 9mm.Only had 150 rounds through it.Looks like new,tom

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101527

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa278/tdbrown1969/mp9.jpg
Ha, that's funny Tom. It only came with two mags because I bought the other two! :grin:

Will-IB-Ready
08-28-2010, 12:43 AM
It may be worth $500+ but it is nice to get it alot cheaper. ;-)
Thinking about selling yours?
Nah... After Doug's serrations and sear, and Joey's stippling... It's worth too much to sell.

Leader
08-28-2010, 09:35 AM
I just got my PP.

After all the help you already got, I would suggest you tell us a day when you would be available & I'll bet some members here would volunteer to let you shoot their guns FREE. Shoot as many different guns as you can get your hands on. Just holding them is a LOT different then shooting them.

Purchase permits are free so I wouldn't worry about letting yours expire.
After you get a chance to shoot a few & decide what FEELS good in YOUR hand, then start looking for the right price on whatever you want.
I don't know of a seller, private or gun store that won't wait for you to get another permit.

hopeitsfast
08-28-2010, 10:23 AM
Dang. That is a good price...
Another one just popped up..

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=103035

furnaceman787
08-28-2010, 12:33 PM
Just went up and shot the XD,Glock 19 and the M&P
I see what you guys were saying about the XD safety it kind of sucks.
I really liked the M&P without the safety.

Leader
08-28-2010, 12:53 PM
Another one just popped up..

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=103035

Don't even bother to look at this one, he didn't post a picture.

dougwg
08-28-2010, 10:50 PM
Don't even bother to look at this one, he didn't post a picture.
Normally I would agree...but dude!... it's a glock! ;-)

P.S. it comes with a nice holster, 6 mags and a trl-1 also....

hopeitsfast
08-28-2010, 11:00 PM
Best deal on a firearm on this site IMO.

_DK_
08-30-2010, 03:32 PM

How did you like the Glock? I have a G19 with a few hundred rounds through it, It'll probably end up for sale after christmas. My hands are too big for it, my wifes are too small. If it's not comfortable to shoot, I don't need it. I'd rather sell it and get the M&P9c over sending it out for a grip mod to make it work for us.

I have 1000's of rounds through my XD without issue( except in RSF"s classes), so dont let the haters hate.

Toledo Kid
08-30-2010, 03:35 PM
Odd no one mentioned any kind of revolver...:computer:

zbock
08-30-2010, 04:03 PM
Buy once, buy right.

I'd say buy a glock 19 or M&P 9. If you want a different caliber stick with a glock or M&P variant.

Here's a post I wrote on why I bought a glock 19, I finally put trijs on it today after my front sight fell off over the weekend, I suggest buying one with ns:

I recently bought a glock 19. Here is my own personal pro/con analysis. I've owned the following guns, all of which were sold and now the newly acquired glock 19 is my only pistol.

Stoeger Cougar
Sw99c
Walther PPS

Pros

1.) Weight - I carried my cougar mostly, and the glock's weight is heaven in comparison. Loaded it weighs a few less than the cougar unloaded.

2.) Size - The grip length is a half inch shorter which helps with concealing tremendously.

3.) Capacity - Same capacity as my cougar, yet a half inch shorter in the grip.

4.) Consistent trigger - this is subjective but I like the consistency of the same trigger pull every time.

5.) Price - Relatively inexpensive compared to other guns. Also mags are $23/ea shipped online through CDNN. Mags are big one for me as I think it's ridiculous to spend hundreds of dollars on a gun and then have to cough up $40+ per mag on top of it.

6.) Reliable - Haven't had any fte/ftf, just seems to work. Didn't have any issues with the PPS or sw99c, but the cougar wouldn't run well without a good lube job.

Cons

1.) Feel - To be honest all the other guns listed above have felt better in the hand, the sw and cougar felt better to shoot as well. Went shooting with bros today, one has a PX4 storm, the other has a P2000. Both felt better in the hand, both felt a little nicer to shoot. Don't really care for how my hand feels with the Glock after shooting a few hundred rounds (and this is with a hogue grip)

2.) Sights - I'm not a fan of the standard sights. I'm getting used to them but I prefer 3 dots. I'll most likely buy some night sights in a few months.

Conclusion:

I feel like the glock is the ideal gun for me to carry due to its size, weight, capacity, price, and reliability. It's not the gun that feels the best to me, however I'm willing to sacrifice that in order for the big picture of what the gun has to offer.

dpgperftest
08-30-2010, 04:05 PM
After all the help you already got, I would suggest you tell us a day when you would be available & I'll bet some members here would volunteer to let you shoot their guns FREE. Shoot as many different guns as you can get your hands on. Just holding them is a LOT different then shooting them.

Purchase permits are free so I wouldn't worry about letting yours expire.
After you get a chance to shoot a few & decide what FEELS good in YOUR hand, then start looking for the right price on whatever you want.
I don't know of a seller, private or gun store that won't wait for you to get another permit.
+1

dpgperftest
08-30-2010, 04:06 PM
wow you the safety with a XD

furnaceman787
08-30-2010, 08:25 PM
I bought a M&P 9 went back a tried all the guns again and that is the that felt most comfortable shooting.
I really did like the XD but even one of the other guys working there pointed out that safety is problem if you had to use in self defense.He laid it on the counter and picked it up real fast like he was in trouble and said he couldn't pull the trigger because his hand was in wrong position,and his hands were bigger than mine.Other than that I did like the gun.

Thanks for all the advice

dpgperftest
08-30-2010, 08:28 PM
I bought a M&P 9 went back a tried all the guns again and that is the that felt most comfortable shooting.
I really did like the XD but even one of the other guys working there pointed out that safety is problem if you had to use in self defense.He laid it on the counter and picked it up real fast like he was in trouble and said he couldn't pull the trigger because his hand was in wrong position,and his hands were bigger than mine.Other than that I did like the gun.

Thanks for all the advice
come on he must be a real couter monkey .I dont know anyone that had trouble shooting a XD unless thay dont not know how to handel a gun :idea: But the S&W is a good gun concratssssss

Will-IB-Ready
08-30-2010, 08:45 PM
Odd no one mentioned any kind of revolver...:computer:
Well in the OP he implied that he was interested in autos. We aim to please around here! :biggrin:

Congrats Furnaceman. I think you made a good decision. :thumbup:

Will-IB-Ready
08-30-2010, 08:49 PM
I dont know anyone that had trouble shooting a XD unless thay dont not know how to handel a gun
I love it when you get excited...

The thing is, you don't always get to have the "perfect grip" on a gun in the middle of a fight. And that is a major drawback with the XD for self defense purposes.

But don't worry, I know you love yours. I'm not trying to convince you that it's a bad gun or anything.:door:

furnaceman787
08-30-2010, 09:27 PM
Don't get me wrong I really liked the XD it's just that after talking to you guys and the people at the store I was very aware of the safety being there.Other than that it was a great gun.When I buy more I am sure I will get one.

JimSig
08-30-2010, 11:07 PM
come on he must be a real couter monkey .I dont know anyone that had trouble shooting a XD unless thay dont not know how to handel a gun :idea: But the S&W is a good gun concratssssss

I agree.. That sales person wanted to to just act as if he knows and he gave you the act..

Congratulations on purchasing the M&P9.. That is an excellent gun... and yes, I hate to tell you now but there will be more purchases in your future.. If you have 5 cars, I expect that you will have 10 handguns by this time next year.. Simply because, you need 2 or 3 more in 9mm.. Then you will discover the 40 SW and get 2 guns in 40 SW.. Then you will get the 357 Magnum virus and buy a 6 in wheel gun and a snuby. Then there will be some calm, where you shoot and practice with what you have, then all of the sudden you start seeing and reading about the classical 1911 design.. This will get you into the 45 ACP caliber, and before you know it you have a 1911 and 2 to 3 handguns in 45 ACP.. Is that enough or shall I continue :lol: :getsum2:

Enjoy your M&P9 I don't want to spoil the fun for you.. :hick:

Oh yes before i forget, then when you start shooting 45 ACP, you get started on reloading your own ammo.. just my closing statement..

furnaceman787
08-31-2010, 10:09 AM
Thanks Jim
Sorry for the bad attitude the other day.My wife was up my a__
for everything I did that day.

JimSig
08-31-2010, 10:26 AM
Thanks Jim

No Problem.. enjoy the M&P9

dozerboy
08-31-2010, 11:42 AM
Thanks Jim
It happens, the wife that is.. How do you like your M&P. I just got the M&P.40, but haven't shot it yet.

Congrats on the new piece... Matt

fishpinoy27
08-31-2010, 08:07 PM
IMHO....Para Ordnance in S1640....pair it with a couple of xtra magazines and Ranger 180 grain T-type ammo's......