PDA

View Full Version : Hanging stand tomorrow

Johnson16
08-27-2010, 09:01 PM
Tis the season. These cool mornings the last two days are getting the deer season thoughts a buzzin'. This year marks the first ever "lease" of land for me. Looking forward to it. Typically I get a hand full of opportunities from others every year on private land, mostly late season. Looking forward to have a stand or 3 to call home for the entire season. Gotta pay to play is seems in SE MI........I am fired up to get a stand or two maybe hung tomorrow.

Now if I could just heal this dislocated shoulder I could pull my bow back without crying.

dpgperftest
08-27-2010, 10:13 PM
Tis the season. These cool mornings the last two days are getting the deer season thoughts a buzzin'. This year marks the first ever "lease" of land for me. Looking forward to it. Typically I get a hand full of opportunities from others every year on private land, mostly late season. Looking forward to have a stand or 3 to call home for the entire season. Gotta pay to play is seems in SE MI........I am fired up to get a stand or two maybe hung tomorrow.

Now if I could just heal this dislocated shoulder I could pull my bow back without crying.
me too good luck for god sake be carfull

Leader
08-29-2010, 09:02 AM

A crossbow could be your friend. It helped me through my shoulder problems.

Leader
08-29-2010, 09:02 AM
Double tap

Made_in_Michigan
08-29-2010, 09:31 AM
Good luck!

and WEAR YOUR HARNESS...

dislocated shoulder has nothing on paralysis or death.

Johnson16
08-29-2010, 06:26 PM
A crossbow could be your friend. It helped me through my shoulder problems.

It might be this year.....my cousin has a brand new one that basically goes unused. Hoping with poundage way down I can still use the bow. I still have a couple weeks to let it heal. I want to be able to at least get a couple shoots in b4 the season starts.

@ MIM......roger that. Never sit a treestand without a harness. Next step will be using the harness to put up a stand. Still don't do that and probably should.

Made_in_Michigan
08-29-2010, 06:30 PM
It might be this year.....my cousin has a brand new one that basically goes unused. Hoping with poundage way down I can still use the bow. I still have a couple weeks to let it heal. I want to be able to at least get a couple shoots in b4 the season starts.

@ MIM......roger that. Never sit a treestand without a harness. Next step will be using the harness to put up a stand. Still don't do that and probably should.

You won't regret getting in the habit. I'm not sure on the accuracy, but I've heard that most accidents happen while hanging it, or while climbing in.

protectionisamust
08-29-2010, 07:20 PM
spent all weekend hanging and moving stands to hopefully
better locations.

Good news - bumped a nice 10 pt. while setting up one of
the stands.

Hopefully thats a good sign.

NObama
09-26-2010, 11:23 AM
stand work is best done way before the season if possible. Try & hang stands durring, or right before a rain or a high wind day to help blow or wash your scent out of your fav hunting locations !

my 2 cents

Leader
09-26-2010, 01:52 PM
stand work is best done way before the season if possible. Try & hang stands durring, or right before a rain or a high wind day to help blow or wash your scent out of your fav hunting locations !

my 2 cents

Deer in my area come to watch as we target practice.
And while I'm mowing the pasture. Scent doesn't seem to matter much.
I sit in my blind and watch them as the neighbors are out banging & clanging 100 to 150 yards away they just look up and go on grazing.

enigmatical
09-26-2010, 04:02 PM

my 2 cents

That may work great in the big woods but when deer patterns are greatly effected by the harvesting order of crops, that plan doesn't work too well most times. Bedding areas may stay the same but, routes to food can change dramatically once certain fields are run.

dpgperftest
09-28-2010, 09:37 PM
going to put mine up this weekend

dpgperftest
09-28-2010, 09:39 PM
That may work great in the big woods but when deer patterns are greatly effected by the harvesting order of crops, that plan doesn't work too well most times. Bedding areas may stay the same but, routes to food can change dramatically once certain fields are run.
In our area they fallow the combines all day some times they don’t even get out of the way of the combine that’s bad for the deer .

NObama
09-29-2010, 05:16 AM
Deer in my area come to watch as we target practice.
And while I'm mowing the pasture. Scent doesn't seem to matter much.
I sit in my blind and watch them as the neighbors are out banging & clanging 100 to 150 yards away they just look up and go on grazing.

Ok, not all of us hunt on private land. Some of us hunt in very high pressured state game areas where the presence of any human can push a 1 & a half year old into beeing nocturnal. I believe its just better to be more cautious then not at all !

enigmatical
09-29-2010, 07:07 AM
In our area they fallow the combines all day some times they don’t even get out of the way of the combine that’s bad for the deer .

Follow the combines? C'mon now.

I suspect that you are referring to when corn is being shelled. It must be very disorienting for deer to literally have their world coming down around them.

Deer will very often stay in cover (the corn field) until the last few rows are run. It is just like pheasants running in the rows until they get to the end of the field to flush.

My point was, the harvesting changes things up for food and cover. The stand that I was going to hunt Friday morning overlooks what was a soybean field. Granted, they come to that stand because of three big oaks along the field but, now that the soys were run, their routes will change.

I guess I am fortunate, I hunt private ground with a combination of permanent tree stands and portable ones. Now I will be scrambling to get a portable up closer to another food source.

That is the problem with corn---they use it for a bedding area and a food source so, those fields hold deer. What the deer are not going to like this year is that the corn harvest is well ahead of schedule due to low moisture content and that might just lead to an increased deer harvest in agricultural areas.

As far as stands, I know of more than one occassion where a stand was put up during the day and a buck arrowed from it that night. Alot depends on the area and like I said, the habits of the deer in that area.

Edit to add: I went for a walk this morning (crops run in fields both sides of the woods I hunt) to see what I had to do to find fresh tracks. I found them, going to a corn field on the neighbors but, all the choice trees were sporting poison ivy. I will have to figure out a Plan C further away from the food source I guess but, that puts me too close to a bedding area I think. So, it looks like a permanant blind on the edge of a harvest field and wait awhile to put up another portable. Scouting makes the hunt fun, thats for sure.

dpgperftest
09-29-2010, 04:23 PM
Follow the combines? C'mon now.

I suspect that you are referring to when corn is being shelled. It must be very disorienting for deer to literally have their world coming down around them.

Deer will very often stay in cover (the corn field) until the last few rows are run. It is just like pheasants running in the rows until they get to the end of the field to flush.

My point was, the harvesting changes things up for food and cover. The stand that I was going to hunt Friday morning overlooks what was a soybean field. Granted, they come to that stand because of three big oaks along the field but, now that the soys were run, their routes will change.

I guess I am fortunate, I hunt private ground with a combination of permanent tree stands and portable ones. Now I will be scrambling to get a portable up closer to another food source.

That is the problem with corn---they use it for a bedding area and a food source so, those fields hold deer. What the deer are not going to like this year is that the corn harvest is well ahead of schedule due to low moisture content and that might just lead to an increased deer harvest in agricultural areas.

As far as stands, I know of more than one occassion where a stand was put up during the day and a buck arrowed from it that night. Alot depends on the area and like I said, the habits of the deer in that area.

Edit to add: I went for a walk this morning (crops run in fields both sides of the woods I hunt) to see what I had to do to find fresh tracks. I found them, going to a corn field on the neighbors but, all the choice trees were sporting poison ivy. I will have to figure out a Plan C further away from the food source I guess but, that puts me too close to a bedding area I think. So, it looks like a permanant blind on the edge of a harvest field and wait awhile to put up another portable. Scouting makes the hunt fun, thats for sure.
I like to hunt from them but thats a no no :-|

we have left woods 2 acers on every field .

enigmatical
09-29-2010, 04:33 PM
I like to hunt from them but thats a no no :-|

Alot of good bucks have fallen to a bullet that came from a combine.

I have been set up on a field where they are shelling more than once and like I said, as often as not, not much happens until the last few passes and then all hell breaks loose.

The guy in the combine definitely has the edge as he can see them running the rows out in front of the header.

dpgperftest
09-29-2010, 04:38 PM
Alot of good bucks have fallen to a bullet that came from a combine.

I have been set up on a field where they are shelling more than once and like I said, as often as not, not much happens until the last few passes and then all hell breaks loose.

The guy in the combine definitely has the edge as he can see them running the rows out in front of the header.
dam i must have dumped the pic in photobucked sorry last years shelling with a big green Johndeer