PDA

View Full Version : Sept 25-26 Lou Chiodo Training

Wesley w/Glock
09-28-2004, 01:05 PM
This last weekend Lou Chiodo (see: www.GunFightersLTD.com) came to Michigan again to give us some of his most excellent training. I must say that what Lou presents is absolutely outstanding!

This time Lou brought his fourteen year old son, Michael, with him who took all the classes. I must say that Michael is a most accomplished youngster.

Saurday Lou presented Phase III. I had taken Phase III last year but figured it was worth my while to take it again. What I think was most important here was shooting on the move at a moving target. It was incredible but every student was hitting the target. Consider that this was without using the gun's sights! Lou teaches that there is no time to get a sight picture.

Saturday evening Lou gave a low-light seminar. We learned a lot of things about shooting and target identification under low lighting conditions and methods to train for it. After the seminar Sgt. Joe Fiera of the Southfield PD gave a mini version of his flashlight seminar which he normally gives at the Oakland Police Academy. I just barely had time to run home as fast as I could, jump into bed, and jump out again in the morning and dash back to the club to resume training.

All day Sunday was Phase IV. This class was mostly about shooter qualification. We also did a couple of exercises at distances where for the first time in any of the phases we used the gun's sights. But even then the exercises were defined to keep our eyes on the target at all times but through the sights. A side benefit of this class was the review of what was learned in previous phases. As individual concealed pistol carriers it is too easy to drop the ball on qualification. However, it was all too clear from this class that the shooter can use this method to identify his or her weak skills so that they can be refined.

CONCLUSION:
I really, really recommend this training for anyone who carries a pistol concealed. Lou is coming back in May of '05 to give Phases I and II.

Batman
10-06-2004, 07:38 PM
Wow, sounds like you had a great time. Wish I had known about it. Are you and Sandy going to TDI this month?

sprink
10-06-2004, 08:14 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong Wes, but Lou comes through Livesafe Academy and Ian Kinder. I took Lou's first class for civilians a couple of years ago. He really is good. I'd like to take another class from him.

Wesley w/Glock
10-07-2004, 08:39 AM
Lou is pretty good about answering email. You can always check with him that way at lou@GunfightersLTD.com. Sometimes it takes him a while to answer, though, so be patient. He has a lot on his plate and his GunfightersLTD business must fall between the cracks.

Lou tells me that he is giving Phases I and II next May (2005) here in Michigan. I also know that he is retiring from the California Highway Patrol sometime next year which will radically open up his ability to teach classes such as these. As it is right now he has to schedule limited vacation to accommodate what training he does outside of the CHP itself.

Right now I don't have any plans to do more TDI training. Getting away from home at all is a major accomplishment for me because of my developmentally disabled son. It just takes a lot of planning. Lou has been pretty helpful with that for his training since he gives me a heads-up in advance as to when classes are held so that I can begin making my home arrangements.