PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on laser max

Rolex Dr.
09-29-2004, 09:58 PM
Hi guys

I keep touing wioth the idea of buying a laser max sight fot my glocl 36 just to screw around with

any pros or cons to it??

any one know of a great price in a local area to buy one from i would rather give my $$$ to a local guy as long as its fair priced

JAmie

jmoser
09-30-2004, 09:02 AM
I have a M6 rail mounted laser / light on a full size G20 10 mm (not my CCW gun.) I have found that most people would have trouble keeping the 'dot' steady on target at any decent distance. (I shoot Bullseye competition with a non-laser red dot and am used to the 'dot wobble' but most shooters will be amazed at how much that dot bounces around when you think you have a steady hold.)

I have mine adjusted so that the laser dot just tops over the front sight when the perfect sight picture is achieved. I have found this to be a very valuable setup, I do not try and shoot using the dot only.

On a carry gun the biggest advantage I can think of for a laser is to see when NOT to fire in case your situation prevents you from maintaining a proper sight picture.

Slatherd
09-30-2004, 11:15 AM
If you got the money to blow then anything is fun. I thought about getting one of them too. Problem is practicality. Unless it's the one that replaces the stock grip, then good luck finding a holster. I realize yours is for the 36 and it replaces the spring guide.

Pros:

fast target aquisition.
Intimidating red dot on a dead man's chest

Cons:

Gets out of adjustment (so I'm told)
can break easily being in the spring rod. This area gets a lot of shock and can damage the laser. This is why the Beretta type is better because it replaces the stock grip.
If carried, the laser gets lint and dirt that weakens the beam. It has to be cleaned a LOT.
You become dependent on the laser dot and not on your entire sight picture. resulting in more tunnel vision.

These are the issues I found on them. This is why I didn't buy one. Spend that 300 bucks on more range time.

gmitchell
09-30-2004, 02:04 PM
Not local but the cheapest I have seen is at nightvisionsales.com for Glocks.
I have two in a Model 29 and a 33 and have not experianced any problems.
They don't like the cold though because off the batteries.

Rolex Dr.
09-30-2004, 08:41 PM
im thinking of it as a carry gun for work at the jewelry store

it will ride on me when i working and if it will be fun at the range

JD

RSF
10-05-2004, 01:55 PM
Pros:

fast target aquisition.
Intimidating red dot on a dead man's chest

Lol if that little dot intimadates him instead of the the sight of you pointing a handgun at him there are issues there! the fact of seeing a detrmined person there defending him/herself with an agressive stance and verbal commands and a loaded 9/40/45 whatever pointing at his /her chest should be more than a little red dot bouncing around his chest

Slatherd
10-05-2004, 04:27 PM
your right deputy. But I was really reaching for good things to say about the laser. notice i didn't come up with much. hahaha!!

But, in my defense. I was speaking about a dark scenereo where the only thing seen would be the dot itself.

RSF
10-05-2004, 11:16 PM
Lol he nwouldnt even be able to see that cause i would have blinded him/her with my surefire C-3 with the 225 output bulb! if yah carry a gun you carry a white light period!

Slatherd
10-05-2004, 11:38 PM
agreed deputy. 8)

Wesley w/Glock
10-06-2004, 10:50 AM
But, in my defense. I was speaking about a dark scenereo where the only thing seen would be the dot itself.
Here is where the Lou Chiodo training becomes more critical than ever. Even in bright daylight there is no time to take a sight picture. The same remains true under low-light conditions but to an even greater extent since the ability to take a sight picture (whether it is front sight only or not) is even more limited even with night sights. A laser sight would be a clear impedement no matter how you cut it.

When you index on the threat with no sight picture you will hit it with combat accuracy given that the overwhelming percentage of threats occur at 5 to 7 yards. This is the distances at which front sighting is effective, anyhow.

The original question, though, was about laser sighting for funzies. Personally, I wouldn't find any fun in shooting a laser sighted gun but if someone else does I would say to have at it. Just don't carry the thing for personal defense.

For price, I suppose you could save by ordering off the web or catalog or by going to Cabelas. But I would rather pay out the extra $20 if that is what it takes to make my local gun supplier happy. These are resources we want to patronize as Dr. Rolex (thread originator) already noted.

Rolex Dr.
10-08-2004, 11:09 PM
i think im gonna try to see if a local range has one i can try out

i would rather blind the guy with a surefire also

but the damn thing wont IWB real well LOL

i like tho support a small buainess guy hell im a amall business guy

JD

HEY KURT AND JOHN GALT DO YOU SELL THESE

HINt HINT

karcent
10-09-2004, 07:05 AM
I don't stock them, but I do special order LaserMax proucts.
The one you need for the G36 will run you $280.00+tax.
It would take two days to get one here for you.

Rolex Dr.
10-10-2004, 03:39 PM
Kurt

i will try to contact you when i get back in to Michigan the week of oct 18

im out of town for business (which is awesome for experience, but sucks for hunting season)

JAmie