filler, incapable of removal without disassembling the gun, so
that the total capacity of the shotgun does not exceed three
shells.
• With the use of any single projectile shotshell. Bows and arrows
are legal for waterfowl hunting.
• By the use or possession of more than one gun for each person
in the hunting party.

(snip)

While checking a goose hunter CO Peggy Ruby discovered a pistol concealed in an ammunition box. After CO Ruby had discovered the pistol, the hunter disclosed that he was a CPL (Concealed Pistol License) holder. Additionally, after running the pistol through the LEIN system, CO Ruby learned that the pistol was not registered. CO Ruby pointed out to the hunter that not only was it illegal to hunt waterfowl while in possession of two guns, but that his pistol had to be registered and as a CPL holder, he had to immediately disclose he was "carrying" to a police officer when stopped. CO Ruby issued the hunter a ticket for possessing two guns while hunting waterfowl.

I just now found this out and wanted to offer a friendly reminder to read and be familiar with the regulations before heading out to hunt. 8)
Of course I already know to disclose, but i didn't know about not having more than one firearm in possession while hunting woodcock.

karcent
10-06-2004, 08:16 AM
Good point, Kevin.
This is a Federal Regulation, not Michigan DNR.

shoprat
10-06-2004, 11:23 AM
I think the solid projectile is also an issue with waterfowl hunting if I remember correctly.

topcide
10-06-2004, 11:53 PM
hmm thats interesting, from what i understood it was legal to openly carry a rimfire pistol in the woods during small game season.

karcent
10-07-2004, 05:51 AM
hmm thats interesting, from what i understood it was legal to openly carry a rimfire pistol in the woods during small game season.

True, but were not talking about small game. Migratory birds are covered under federal regulation.

cliffd
10-07-2004, 08:48 AM

True, but were not talking about small game. Migratory birds are covered under federal regulation.

I understand the "technical" aspect here, but that is utter ******** if they think anyone is going to hunt waterfowl with their carry gun or any pistol for that matter. I think this is just a convoluted interpretation of a regulation that was meant to keep people from carrying multiple long guns into the field. Even that restriction is crazy. You can only shoot one at a time for cripes sake.

Thrindle
10-07-2004, 07:11 PM
I'd definietly fight that one in Court. Obviously whatever beaurocrats that wrote the law never had any idea about law abiding citizens carrying for self defense.