PDA

View Full Version : selling longuns via ads

gunguy25
09-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Is it illegal to buy or sell longuns though a newspaper ad, craigslist ad or MGO ad in michigan? This would be private party sale with no background check.

Tallbear
09-04-2010, 02:51 PM
Is it illegal to buy or sell longuns though a newspaper ad, craigslist ad or MGO ad in michigan? This would be private party sale with no background check.

No background check is "required" for private sale of long guns.

OpenSights
09-04-2010, 03:04 PM
Stay away from craigslist paypal and ebay. They, as privately owned companies, have policies counter to your 2A rights. Otherwise it is legal to sell or buy a long gun within the boarders of Michigan face to face, or through shipping via USPS with out any background check.

If you choose to use paypal, in the description state a description of something like "a years worth of socks". That way the seller's account doesn't frozen.

gunguy25
09-04-2010, 03:10 PM
Ok, so I am good to sell here on MGO, place an ad in the paper, or other internet site and meet someone and sell my long guns? I ask becuase i was told today by an individual it is illegal to sell guns on the internet and I could be held liable if I sold a long gun to a convict.

Chorkie
09-04-2010, 03:36 PM
Ok, so I am good to sell here on MGO, place an ad in the paper, or other internet site and meet someone and sell my long guns? I ask becuase i was told today by an individual it is illegal to sell guns on the internet and I could be held liable if I sold a long gun to a convict.

Only way you are going to get in trouble is if you KNOWINGLY sell a gun to someone who cannot legally own one.

Mike in Michigan
09-08-2010, 08:30 AM
Ebay policy forbids sales of firearms or any gun parts related to the firing of same. Paypal is owned by ebay and your accounts will be cancelled if they find you using paypal for firearms or trying to list firearms or parts on ebay. I use gunpal, aka Gpal.com for internet firearms sales. It works just like paypal but they are firearm friendly. Firearms can be sold on internet sites such as gunbroker.com, auctionarms.com, etc. Internet sales mean you will have to ship to the buyer's FFL. Some FFL's will only receive shipments from another FFL so you could need the services of an FFL on this end and it is not free. Local and regional newspapers sometimes have restrictions on firearms listings. BE WARNED: Thieves respond to newspaper and craigslist ads to scout out a potential theft victim.
You can also put a sales sign on it and walk around a local gun show hoping to attract a buyer at the show.

RevDerb
09-08-2010, 09:37 AM
i was told today by an individual it is illegal to sell guns on the internet and I could be held liable if I sold a long gun to a convict.
There's no fixing stupid. Do NOT believe anything else that this individual tells you. He/she is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG and has rendered him/herself incredible.