PDA

View Full Version : Gun storage question

gltucker
09-04-2010, 07:26 PM
Hi,

I recently bought my first house. I don't exactly have the funds to store my firearms in safe. I live in the country, but I want to be a responsible gun owner. I am not worried about kids (don't have any or know anyone who does) none the less I don't want them sitting in closets or easy find locations in case something did happen.

The place in question is under a addition. It has a dirt floor, cylinder blocks sides and is eye level when standing in the basement. There aren't any water lines just heat ducts. I was thinking of keeping my long guns in there until I could afford something. My plan was to place the guns in a gun socket, inside a case and place them in a heavy ply poly-propylene bad. The plus to storing them here is no one will see them or know how to access the spot.

Otherwise I have to leave the long guns at my parents house which it 45 minutes away.

Thoughts..be brutal and honest. I don't want to ruin anything either.

ColonelKurtz
09-04-2010, 07:37 PM
In your situation I'd start by putting your gun in one of these:
http://www.zcorrproducts.com/

After that I don't think it really matters, put it in a regular gun case, long cardboard box, or one of those long, shallow plastic boxes meant to store sweaters and what not under the bed. Should be good to go, just pray you don't have a fire :help:

RayMich
09-04-2010, 08:43 PM
In your situation I'd start by putting your gun in one of these:
http://www.zcorrproducts.com/

After that I don't think it really matters, put it in a regular gun case, long cardboard box, or one of those long, shallow plastic boxes meant to store sweaters and what not under the bed. Should be good to go, just pray you don't have a fire :help:
Those vapor barrier bags seem like a good idea. Don't forget to put some desiccant in each bag to absorb any moisture that might be present when you seal the gun inside.

On another note, if you don't have the money for a safe, you might want to consider one of these [Stack-On Gun Cabinet (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0005602229523a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=gun+cabinet&sort=all&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23)] for $110. It would give you a little more security and you can put it just about anywhere, even sideways in the crawl space you are considering.

Mike in Michigan
09-05-2010, 08:21 AM
The bags work, withing limits. Another step to take is to use a vacuum cleaner to suck as much air as possible out of the bag before sealing it. Also, I would check on the items at least once a month to monitor their condition.

BUCKSHOT74
09-05-2010, 08:52 AM
:sniper2:

be careful around crawl space, because of moisture
how about a fake heating duct between rafters in the basement ?

Shyster
09-05-2010, 09:11 AM
THIS FORUM IS FOR MGO'S "SAFE STORAGE PROGRAM" WHICH HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH GUN SAFES. THE PROGRAM IS FOR CHILD SAFETY/KEEPING GUNS OUT OF THE HANDS OF UNAUTHORIZED USERS.

:banghead:

This should be posted in General Firearms Issues.

gltucker
09-05-2010, 09:56 PM
THIS FORUM IS FOR MGO'S "SAFE STORAGE PROGRAM" WHICH HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH GUN SAFES. THE PROGRAM IS FOR CHILD SAFETY/KEEPING GUNS OUT OF THE HANDS OF UNAUTHORIZED USERS.

:banghead:

This should be posted in General Firearms Issues.

That's my exact question. Not sure why one would want to store a firearm in a crawlspace when entire house could be used to store it. The point of my post is ask about storage in this area so I can keep my firearms out of sight of unauthorized users and unauthorized occupants in my home.

By all means move it...

gltucker
09-05-2010, 10:06 PM
:sniper2:

be careful around crawl space, because of moisture
how about a fake heating duct between rafters in the basement ?

That is a heck of a idea. I could easily do that with a fake duct. Would I prepare the guns the same ways as mentioned?

dpgperftest
09-05-2010, 11:37 PM
or make a false wall to hide them

Bronson
09-09-2010, 02:25 AM
You asked for opinions so here's mine. Get them locked up. You say you can't afford it and I say you can't afford NOT to lock them up. After having been broken into 3 separate times in my life I've learned that no matter how good you think you are at hiding things thieves are much much better at finding them.

It is their job, it is what they do.

Bronson