PDA

View Full Version : Personal Protection Ammo

DJKnight
09-06-2010, 07:35 PM
I'm new to gun ownership and have been buying and shooting 9mm luger ammo in my Glock 19. My CPL came last week and I'm looking for advice on ammo to use in it for personal protection carry. Also as a petite woman may have to look into adding to my wardrobe in order to conceal. I have an IWB holster.

Signess
09-06-2010, 07:42 PM
Here's a good round to start with. I'm not a ballistics freak or nothing, but from what I've read of those that are. You can't go wrong with the Speer round for a personal protection round.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/15827-5.html

musashi
09-06-2010, 07:43 PM
whatever ammo you buy make sure you test it to make sure that your gun will feed it. If you figure out any tips on concealing feel free to pass them on. Mrs. musashi has a hard time doing so in the summer.

Signess
09-06-2010, 07:46 PM
whatever ammo you buy make sure you test it to make sure that your gun will feed it. If you figure out any tips on concealing feel free to pass them on. Mrs. musashi has a hard time doing so in the summer.

And by all means, this also. But I don't think you'll have any issues with running Gold Dots through a Glock. I wouldn't take my word for it to save your life though. Always make sure the ammo will function properly. Good call!

sprinklerguy28
09-06-2010, 07:46 PM
There are many good protection rounds out there. Just like guns most will do the job its more of personal preference. The main factor should be what shoots well for your gun and you. You may have to buy and tests several brands before picking one. Even if you spend $100 trying ammo, it's still a great bargain to save your life for.

Juggernaut
09-06-2010, 07:57 PM
I like Cor-Bon DPX....

RPMO6
09-06-2010, 08:06 PM
It certainly is a personal thing and as others have stated, what your weapon likes.

My choice:
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM414-5.html#Reviews

dl2155
09-06-2010, 10:33 PM
I think any personal defence hollow points from major ammo companies will do. See which ones your pistol likes.

Buffman
09-06-2010, 10:48 PM
shoot and carry whatever your gun will feed reliably and that offers good penetration and expansion.

Gold Dots, HST, and Ranger T's are all great rounds.

Juggernaut
09-06-2010, 11:00 PM
Some of best advice I ever heard.. find out what type your local or county LEO's use.... That way if you were ever in a self defense scenario.... there could be no accusation of "inhumane" or other nonsense that could come up legally...

XDM 40 cal
09-08-2010, 05:49 AM
For the Price, Gold dots will be fine, winchester ranger, Corbon will put any threat to you, down for the count..

+1 you should shoot at least one box of said carry ammo.....

hopeitsfast
09-08-2010, 08:47 AM
Some of best advice I ever heard.. find out what type your local or county LEO's use.... That way if you were ever in a self defense scenario.... there could be no accusation of "inhumane" or other nonsense that could come up legally... Not intended as an insult to you Juggernaut but this statement is...
Pure internet crap. I'm not saying you didn't here that, but not one person i've ever seen make this statement could ever back it up with any facts. Please cite one case of this happening.

Think about it, on any given car ride, you can drive through sooo many different departments jurisdictions. Do i continually switch depending on city or county?
Maybe just use what ever is issued to the State Police? Oh wait, what if i drive to Ohio, then i switch to their loads? Or what about Indiana etc,etc..

To the OP, stick to a name brand Hollow Point like Speer, Federal, Winchester, and you will be good to go. Just make sure your gun feeds them reliably.

007bondjamesbond007
09-08-2010, 08:53 AM
Goto http://corneredcat.com/ it is a gun site for women written by a woman.

Mike Burrows
09-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Not intended as an insult to you Juggernaut but this statement is...
Pure internet crap. I'm not saying you didn't here that, but not one person i've ever seen make this statement could ever back it up with any facts. Please cite one case of this happening.

Think about it, on any given car ride, you can drive through sooo many different departments jurisdictions. Do i continually switch depending on city or county?
Maybe just use what ever is issued to the State Police? Oh wait, what if i drive to Ohio, then i switch to their loads? Or what about Indiana etc,etc..

To the OP, stick to a name brand Hollow Point like Speer, Federal, Winchester, and you will be good to go. Just make sure your gun feeds them reliably.
Add to this, part of PD decision is made on cost, not necessarily what's best.

bigfun27
09-08-2010, 10:34 PM
I use Hornaday Critical Defense in my SA-XD9sc

XDM 40 cal
09-09-2010, 05:39 AM
I use Hornaday Critical Defense in my SA-XD9sc

Really, I heard that those round would hang up on the feed ramp??

Quantum007
09-09-2010, 06:42 AM
Nope, I also use Hornady Critical Defense for my Glock G26( and Bersa 380, G22 .40) and have never had a hang up. I had also read here that their were primer issues as well but I have not had any primers fail to ignite so far.

Best advice was already posted. Get a selection from the major ammo makers and see what works best in your gun, and what works for you.