PDA

View Full Version : Hi all lookin to buy

Zig-Zag
09-07-2010, 02:12 AM
I'm lookin to buy my 1st pistol and i need some advice. I'm looking at the Smith & Wesson Sigma 40VE and the Taurus PT140 Millennium-Pro

All suggestions are accepted i would like to keep the price under $500

Thanks!

DetroitBiker
09-07-2010, 02:36 AM
I would strongly suggest looking at a slightly used Glock or Smith& Wesson M&P series around the $400-$500 range. These are quality guns that will be very dependable and if your buying them at used prices,you can pretty much get what you paid for them if you decide to upgrade at a later time. The Sigma and Taurus PT140 are not in the same league as the Glock or M&P In my opinion.

RPMO6
09-07-2010, 02:41 AM
I would strongly suggest looking at a slightly used Glock or Smith& Wesson M&P series around the $400-$500 range. These are quality guns that will be very dependable and if your buying them at used prices,you can pretty much get what you paid for them if you decide to upgrade at a later time. The Sigma and Taurus PT140 are not in the same league as the Glock or M&P In my opinion.
:yeahthat:

sprinklerguy28
09-07-2010, 03:14 AM
I suggest you rent a few if possible before purchasing. I use to carry a Sigma for several years. Thousands of rounds and no issues. However the trigger pull is very heavy and comparable to a double action revolver. As suggested a used Glock or M&P in that price range will be far better value for your money.

esq_stu
09-07-2010, 05:23 AM
had a Sigma for about a week. Worst trigger imaginable. Might as well aim at the moon.

michigan_rkba
09-07-2010, 04:47 PM
Save your money - buy a 9mm. Your wallet will appreciate it at the range, and I highly doubt that a badguy will notice the difference between a 155gr .40s&w and a 127gr +p+ 9mm...

Will-IB-Ready
09-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Look at used. Great way to save money on a higher quality pistol.

Neither of the firearms you mentioned are ones that I would recommend.
The typical suggestions are going to be a 9mm, either a Glock 19 or an M&P9.

Good luck.

HVYMTLMEC
09-07-2010, 05:07 PM

Yep right here. Friends don't let friends buy Sigmas or Taurus :barf: . IMHO.
If you have $500 you can find either right here in the for sale section for right around that price. Also get good training to go with it. Good luck.

ddeadserious
09-07-2010, 06:07 PM
I've got a m&p9 for sale right at your price. It's an excellent gun, would make a great first gun and is pretty much like new.

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=98851

XDM 40 cal
09-08-2010, 05:42 AM
I've got a m&p9 for sale right at your price. It's an excellent gun, would make a great first gun and is pretty much like new.

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=98851

There you go, a great gun...Better then the entry level sigma...

Other than that Handgun there is Ruger,Springfields,Glocks,1911..

Happy hunting.

Zig-Zag
09-08-2010, 06:58 AM
Thought on the taurus 1911?

Will-IB-Ready
09-08-2010, 07:19 AM
Pass.

XDM 40 cal
09-08-2010, 12:06 PM

It ok,but you be upgrading it, and getting to know a gunsmiths on a first name bases.. A Springfield would be something to look at.. the GI start around 500 for the parkerise model.http://www.gunshopfinder.com/springfield/PW9108L.jpg

It a start ,but i would look at XD, or Glock,ruger Sr9c,M&P9,walter pps,

you can fondle all of them and see what you like in you hands before you buy,shoot it too..
(GI model has low sights)

Mike Burrows
09-08-2010, 08:20 PM
I've had one for 3 years, great piece, love it!
Mike

Wolfe Toilet Co
09-12-2010, 03:45 PM
Watch out for that Springfield 1911 GI model. I had to replace the extractor on mine as it failed to extract 90% of the time. Since replacing I get 1 or 2 FTE every 100-150 rounds.

Fun to shoot but I don't trust it for home defense if its got to work all the time. Maybe i just got a lemon.

XDM 40 cal
09-12-2010, 06:20 PM
Watch out for that Springfield 1911 GI model. I had to replace the extractor on mine as it failed to extract 90% of the time. Since replacing I get 1 or 2 FTE every 100-150 rounds.

Fun to shoot but I don't trust it for home defense if its got to work all the time. Maybe i just got a lemon.

WOW, i take you sent in to springfield? I havent had any extracter issue at all,just had a feed ramp issue,but with a little sanding and buffing i'm all good now..:biggrin:

Wolfe Toilet Co
09-12-2010, 06:59 PM
WOW, i take you sent in to springfield? I havent had any extracter issue at all,just had a feed ramp issue,but with a little sanding and buffing i'm all good now..:biggrin:

Actualy i didn't. I was in a rut at work or 80 hr work weeks out of town and it just sat around for a year before i did anything to it. I had a USGI extractor so i swapped it out and you could see the Springfield one was alot longer.

These days my Sig226 is my "never fail me" pistol. Never had a single issue.

cl76
09-13-2010, 12:36 PM
What will this pistol be used for? Home defense? Daily carry? Range/fun shoot gun? That is the first thing to consider when buying. We got the cart before the horse again.:banghead:

Pecos Bill
09-13-2010, 12:54 PM
I just purchased a Glock 36 for under $500. I saw an American Arms 1911 in my local shop for about $400.00 Nice feel to it. Look around and handle a few, the one you want is just down the road. :)

Zig-Zag
09-13-2010, 04:58 PM
Well for now Home defense range fun shoot gun and after my dui is up daily carry

wchancey
09-13-2010, 06:20 PM
Not really sure why shooters dislike Taurus so much.

My opinion only but , I have three of them , I found them to be reasonably priced , I received two mags with each of them , lifetime warranty.

I have my own home range and shoot the heck out of all of them. So far I have not had any problems with any of them.

My favorite is my 709 Slim at least a thousand rounds and not a hiccup.

I don't leave my house without my TCP in a pocket holster , only because you can hide it anywhere

I know , people do have problems , maybe I have just been lucky , I wish I could say the same for my Ruger Mark III.

I am not a gun guru by any means but any and all of my Taurus's do the job for me.

cl76
09-13-2010, 07:08 PM
Well for now Home defense range fun shoot gun and after my dui is up daily carry

In that case I would recommend 9mm as ammo will be less expensive and generally more available. Try to go to a range that will let you rent a few different guns to fire. Simply holding one isn't a good judge of how you will like it when it goes bang. Start with the usual suspects: Glock 17 or 19, Smith and Wesson, or XD. You can get "those guns suck" and "those guns are the best" on any weapon if you ask enough people so test them out and find the one that best fits you.

P.S. - If that seems like too much hassle just go out and buy a Glock;-)

rnemeth5432
10-16-2010, 12:27 PM
I have a glock Taurus and sigma I like all three I have a Taurus for sale any questions cal me at 989-484-4842

JJMAN
10-16-2010, 11:03 PM
It's all about what's most comfortable for you. Whatever you shoot the best is what you should stick with. The general consensus is stay away from sigma and Taurus and go with m&p glock or xd. My personal preference is glock only because it felt right for me.

autosurgeon
10-19-2010, 02:11 PM
Well I have a Taurus with over 6000 rounds through it now... PT111 Mil Pro SS and the only things I have had to replace is the recoil spring and striker spring at around 4000 rounds.. they were shipped to me for less than 13.00 too...

Other than that it runs like a champ and will eat anything I throw at it!

langenc
11-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Asking here what gun to buy is like asking what woman/man to marry. Everyone has an opinion.

cumminatcha
11-01-2010, 10:37 PM
My experience has been find a gun that fits you, make sure you can shoot it, and then practice, practice, practice. This is the old Ford vs. GM vs. Dodge discussion. There is no right answer, only your answer.

I currently have several Taurus', Glocks, and a Beretta. Is one any better than the other? You bet! Do they all fire without fail and would I trust my life to them? Once again, yes. But I shoot them all and am comfortable with them.

seeker01
11-02-2010, 06:44 AM
Asking here what gun to buy is like asking what woman/man to marry. Everyone has an opinion.
... :lol:
yeah, and how many folks get it wrong

Baratomodachi
11-02-2010, 04:15 PM
If you can wait, you may be able to get a brand new glock or M&P via group buy. Talk to Chewy or Dirtwheeler, they're memers of MGO and run a gun shop out of Chewy's house. Excellent prices.