PDA

View Full Version : Fur Buyer/Processor near Howell

pavee
09-09-2010, 03:43 PM
I was referred here by a friend from a motorcycle forum I belong to. Not sure what his name is on here but he goes by flipf4ipilot on there so Nelson, if you see this :angel:.

I'm not really much of a hunter because I'm really impatient, get cold easily and would rather spend my time cooking and eating venison than chasing it through the woods.

Anyways, I live on 5 acres in the Howell area and have seven pet ducks that give me lots of fresh eggs and eat all the weeds in my pond - I like them so they're NOT for dinner! Yeah, try telling that to the overly abundant population of raccoons that steal my eggs, do everything destructively possible to try and penetrate the duck enclosure and are just an all around nuisance.

I've become pretty proficient at trapping the raccoons. I'm looking for a local fur buyer/processor in the Howell or Mason area. I'm not really interested in making any money so much as I just don't really have a good way of disposing of them after they've been dispatched. Ideally, I'd like to simply drop the trap off full in the morning and pick it up empty in the evening.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

langenc
09-13-2010, 09:16 AM
Dont start till at least Nov 10-15th. The hides will be just about useless till then. The term 'blue coon' describes the hides at that stage of developement.

Why not remove the catch from the trap and not have to worry about going back to pick up your trap(s)?

langenc
09-13-2010, 09:17 AM
Dont start till at least Nov 10-15th. The hides will be just about useless till then. The term 'blue coon' describes the hides at that stage of developement.
Check DRN regs for starting date of coon season.

Why not remove the catch from the trap and not have to worry about going back to pick up your trap(s)?

aquatic-archer
09-13-2010, 08:56 PM
ALSO IT IS ILLEGAL TO TRANSPORT LIVE ANIMALS IN TRAPS.

pavee
09-16-2010, 10:23 AM

I'm not sure how the fur buyer would want them killed. Plus if it is unseasonably warm out, I'm not sure how long a dead animal would last before it starts to get nasty.

pavee
09-16-2010, 10:43 AM
Check DRN regs for starting date of coon season.

I did. Since they are predatory and cause damage the season on them is July-March on my property. I'd be willing to let anyone come out and hunt them as a guest (I'm near the Howell Gun Club). There's also a few muskrat I I want gone but they aren't a menace like the raccoons are and I'm not as familiar with their season.