PDA

View Full Version : Hunting liscenses

Greggers
09-09-2010, 10:24 PM
My buddy applied for a doe permit this year. He gets the permit from the state and goes to dunhams to try to get the actual permit and was denied cause he does not have a hunting saftey course. I started getting mine when i was younger and have never been asked that question is it something new this year

remingtondude58
09-09-2010, 10:25 PM
It depends on when you were born, I think '65 is the determining year.

Shyster
09-09-2010, 10:50 PM
If you were born after 1/1/1960 you must take a hunter safety course. Exception is if you had your first hunting license before the statute was enacted. I cannot remember when that was but I was grandfathered in. I was born in 1966 and have never needed a cert.

sprinklerguy28
09-10-2010, 06:49 AM
If they asked him if ever took hunter's safety and he answered no, dunham's will not even enter the information into the computer.

Toledo Kid
09-10-2010, 07:38 AM
If you were born after 1/1/1960 you must take a hunter safety course. Exception is if you had your first hunting license before the statute was enacted. I cannot remember when that was but I was grandfathered in. I was born in 1966 and have never needed a cert.This will not work in most out west states for Big Game I am here to tell ya.
You better have had the safety course before you plan to hunt out there because they will check and flat deny you!!! Some have different periods also to make you exempt or not.

Just go take the course if you are serious about hunting safely.

ninjatoth
09-10-2010, 08:53 AM
I believe this was inacted in the 1980's or 1990's,basically if you were born after Jan 1 1960 you need a hunters safety course,exept for those who have already hunted before the law was inacted.My mother in law was born in July 1960 and never had to take the course because her first time hunting was before the law enacted.I had to take the course when I was 29,was a pain sitting with mostly kids learning no not point a gun at someone-ooooooooo,like you don't know that,but if you humor yourself it's kind of fun,8 hours long the first day and like 5 hours the 2nd day and you're done.Cost 10 bucks.

Hawgrider
09-10-2010, 09:39 AM
This will not work in most out west states for Big Game I am here to tell ya.
You better have had the safety course before you plan to hunt out there because they will check and flat deny you!!! Some have different periods also to make you exempt or not.

Just go take the course if you are serious about hunting safely.To back up what the Kid says....

HUNTER SAFETY EDUCATION

You must take hunter safety if you were born after
January 1, 1960.
A hunter safety certificate or previous hunting license is required to purchase any Michigan Hunting License.
Hunters anticipating an out-of-state hunting trip need to obtain a certificate prior to their trip, most states require hunters to carry their certificate when hunting and need it to purchase a license. The hunter safety course is NOT the equivalent of specific gun safety course and does NOT meet the requirements for Concealed Weapons permits. Please visit the Michigan State Police website (http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1591_3503_4654---,00.html) for information on Concealed Weapons Permits.

http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/recnsearch/

_DK_
09-10-2010, 05:26 PM
I believe this was inacted in the 1980's or 1990's,basically if you were born after Jan 1 1960 you need a hunters safety course,exept for those who have already hunted before the law was inacted.My mother in law was born in July 1960 and never had to take the course because her first time hunting was before the law enacted.I had to take the course when I was 29,was a pain sitting with mostly kids learning no not point a gun at someone-ooooooooo,like you don't know that,but if you humor yourself it's kind of fun,8 hours long the first day and like 5 hours the 2nd day and you're done.Cost 10 bucks.

My daughter and I took Hunter Safety a couple of weeks ago at Bluewater. It was free... It was 8 hours both days. I was never asked to produce proof in the past and I have been getting hunting licenses for the last few years. I learned stuff... I basically went so my daughter could get hers. Now some local ranges will let her shoot indoors.

Edward
09-11-2010, 01:11 PM
He may be able to get around this issue by getting an Aprentice hunting license,which a person may buy for 2yrs before needing to take a hunters safety course.Under the apprentice license he will need to be accompanied by someone 21 or older,who has a valid regular hunting license.For most out of state hunts,you will need a hunter saftey certificate OR a past regular hunting license from your state.

ro2
09-11-2010, 06:33 PM
just take the course its not the end of the world. also now they offer an online course where you do online study and then show up for one day the field portion. also there is some mumblings about needing a bow hunter safety course in the near future.

ninjatoth
09-11-2010, 08:16 PM
just take the course its not the end of the world. also now they offer an online course where you do online study and then show up for one day the field portion. also there is some mumblings about needing a bow hunter safety course in the near future.
That online class would be tough,lots of studying plus you have to go on day 2 anyways for the field portion and still have to take the final written test.Might as well just go in class the whole thing,the instructors can educate you and you don't need to spend all day reading,rather sitting.

AMSR22
09-11-2010, 08:25 PM
I moved here from out of state. Took the hunters safety course when I was about 12, and have a lifetime hunting license in my former state. When I moved here, I went to the hardware store in Pinckney to get a license and they never asked me anything other than what kind of license I wanted...

Must be I got lucky? I did it again last year at Dick's. No questions, just what did I want to purchase...

Edward
09-12-2010, 05:53 PM
I moved here from out of state. Took the hunters safety course when I was about 12, and have a lifetime hunting license in my former state. When I moved here, I went to the hardware store in Pinckney to get a license and they never asked me anything other than what kind of license I wanted...

Must be I got lucky? I did it again last year at Dick's. No questions, just what did I want to purchase...Most don't ask,they just issue the license.

ro2
09-12-2010, 07:17 PM
also the online course is 25 bux then you still have to pay the 10 bux for the day class (field portion) and on top of that u need to take a test online to print the cert. to present to get field day. I guess thats the price you pay for the ability to only show for one day. I totally agree its easier to just take the 2 day course.

langenc
09-16-2010, 10:36 AM
To all those that have never had to "prove you had hunter safety".

When you sign the license you are certifying that you 'meet the requirements of hunter safety' or some such.

If you certify and dont meet-probably a misdeameanor. Read an old license and see for yourself.

aquatic-archer
09-23-2010, 02:05 AM
Just a small note there was a disgruntaled worker at the dnr who
according to another employee lost or deleted many years worth
or records that held who had taken hunters safty, so they have
no way to know for sure. Found this out when I tried to get a
replacement and they said there was no records for that year,
had to retake the class to get one for out west and than found
the original a couple of weeks later even though the dnr has no record.
originally took in 82 or 83 if anyone else out there took same time
just try and see if the dnr will issue a new one or if its on record.

TheJAWs
09-23-2010, 02:19 PM
The exact phrase on the DNR Terminal is Have you taken a Hunter's safety class or have you bought a hunting licence since 1995. This has been on there the couple years I have worked for a company that sells tags. When you sign your tags you are stating that you comply with the hunter safety requirements. Without the Hunter safety he many buy a apprentice license for two years and then has to take hunter safety.

Teamster
09-23-2010, 04:58 PM
I have been stopped by the DNR several times and they have never asked for my hunter safety card.it's like when they ask you for migratory birds while buying a small game license and you say 0-0-0-0 hundred times I don't keep a running count. when in doubt ___. go to another place and get it

Mountaineer
10-20-2010, 02:47 PM
Just took the safety class with the county last year. It was free. Just had to show up for 3 nights. Most of the other Adults (I'm 46) were there with their children. It actually wasn't that bad and it's nice to know I won't have to do it again...

Considering some of the hunters I've meet in the field, I'd say the class is a good idea.

langenc
10-24-2010, 09:52 PM
File those cards away with important papers and you will always have proof!

Sargeyork
10-26-2010, 07:29 PM
Just a small note there was a disgruntaled worker at the dnr who
according to another employee lost or deleted many years worth
or records that held who had taken hunters safty, so they have
no way to know for sure. Found this out when I tried to get a
replacement and they said there was no records for that year,
had to retake the class to get one for out west and than found
the original a couple of weeks later even though the dnr has no record.
originally took in 82 or 83 if anyone else out there took same time
just try and see if the dnr will issue a new one or if its on record.

I applied for a replacement a few years ago because my original is worn barely legible and they just said they had no record with no reason why and I did take it in this time period. Thanks for the information as to why.;)

maricar
11-22-2010, 05:00 PM
there all right about it, all you have to do is take the exam so that you can have your license. i know you'll going to enjoy during your training. you'll meet a lot of hunters and you may find new friends....