PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again

G22
10-19-2004, 07:53 AM
http://www.macombdaily.com/stories/101604/loc_hunting001.shtml

I predict this as the next Island Lake type of BS.
NIMBY's bitchin. Why the he!! did you move there? Dumb *****'s

(sarcasm on) The smell of animal feces makes me vomit. I'm going to move in next to the pig farm and cry about the odor. @#$%^&

(rant over)

MI redneck
10-19-2004, 10:26 AM
I come across the attitude Your talking about from people that live on the lakes. All year long they gripe about the geese "They crap on my lawn and dock, make a bunch of noise, theres too many of them. I wish they would go away!"

Then come hunting season when hunters show up to help control the poupulation its " Your making noise and killing MY GESSE, go away!" :roll:

The folks in this artical do have a point with saftey issues, if pellets were raining down on My house I'd be pi$$ed too.

G22
10-19-2004, 10:57 AM
The folks in this artical do have a point with saftey issues, if pellets were raining down on My house I'd be pi$$ed too.

Me too. But I still wouldn't want to ban hunting there for the stupid actions of a few negligent hunters. If, as the article states, the home owners can see the hunters in the field, I would go out there & talk to them. Ask them politely at first to not shoot in the direction of the subdivision. I read the DNR reports & they give out pretty heafty fines for careless discharge of a firearm. No need to take away hunting from the respectful law-abiding hunters.

MI redneck
10-19-2004, 11:07 AM
No need to take away hunting from the respectful law-abiding hunters

Agreed.

ZIPGRAVER
10-19-2004, 12:41 PM
http://www.macombdaily.com/stories/101604/loc_hunting001.shtml

I predict this as the next Island Lake type of BS.
NIMBY's bitchin. Why the he!! did you move there? Dumb *****'s

(sarcasm on) The smell of animal feces makes me vomit. I'm going to move in next to the pig farm and cry about the odor. @#$%^&

(rant over)

Sorry, your argument doesn't fly. The blame falls squarely on the hunters. There is a big difference between being a law abiding hunter and being a safe, conscientious hunter. Just too many hunters don't give a shlt about where they point their guns as long as they can bag some game and have no idea that pellets from a shotgun can travel as far as they do, especially magnums commonly used in goose & duck hunting. I've been hit by #7-1/2 or #8 pellets coming over the hill from the skeet range on to the rifle range at DSC where we were cowboy shooting and I'll tell they hurt when they hit your face or hands. Imagine a little kid getting hit in the face or worse yet the eye. Common sense dictates you don't shoot in the direction of a house. Here we are constantly screaming about firearm safety so that the antis don't have the ammunition to hurt us but apparently it falls on deaf ears when it comes to hunters. So if the DNR closes down hunting in that part of Macomb township you can thank the hunters not the home owners. :evil:

G22
10-19-2004, 01:37 PM
Sorry, your argument doesn't fly. The blame falls squarely on the hunters.

I agree but your painting with an awfully wide brush there Gary.
99% of the time it's a few bad apples spoiling it for the rest.
The blame falls on the 1%.

Just too many hunters don't give a shlt about where they point their guns as long as they can bag some game and have no idea that pellets from a shotgun can travel as far as they do, especially magnums commonly used in goose & duck hunting.

I don't personally know ANY hunters that don't give a shlt where they point their guns. All the guys I hunt with know exactly how far their guns are capable of reaching and practice safe conscientious hunting. (or else they would be hunting without me). I could be wrong, but I still say it's probably a few bad apples.

Common sense dictates you don't shoot in the direction of a house. Here we are constantly screaming about firearm safety so that the antis don't have the ammunition to hurt us but apparently it falls on deaf ears when it comes to hunters

Yes, common sense. Most have it, some don't.
And again the wide brush.
You must have had some bad experiences that lead you to draw these conclusions. I would be interested in any info you may wish to pass along. As I am fairly new to hunting (past 10 years or so) I have not witnessed very much bad hunting etiquite, so I could be way off base here. I can only speek for myself and fellow hunters I know.

So if the DNR closes down hunting in that part of Macomb township you can thank the hunters not the home owners.

I still would first try to handle it by speeking with the careless hunters themselves. If that didn't work, I would call the DNR and have them handle it by giving out careless discharge of a firearm violations. The DNR would confinscate the firearms and issue an appearance ticket. Its very expensive and you would most certainly loose your hunting privilages for many years. If that didn't work then I might think about petitioning to have it closed, but not until having exausted all other options.

Another point the article brings is the noise from hunting.
Why in the @#$% did they move there to begin with knowing damn well they boardered a hunting area?

I'm going to move into a rain forest. But if I get wet I'm suing someone.

SteveS
10-19-2004, 05:22 PM
Sorry, your argument doesn't fly. The blame falls squarely on the hunters. There is a big difference between being a law abiding hunter and being a safe, conscientious hunter. Just too many hunters don't give a shlt about where they point their guns as long as they can bag some game and have no idea that pellets from a shotgun can travel as far as they do, especially magnums commonly used in goose & duck hunting.

I'll have to disagree with you. As a hunter, I certainly care about what happens when I hunt and so do any of the other hunters I know. Don't group all hunters together with the bad ones. Most hunters are safe, so why punish all hunters because of the actions of a few. I've heard this type of argument before.

ZIPGRAVER
10-19-2004, 10:19 PM
Kevin, Steve sorry for painting with a wide brush but one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch. No matter how safe YOU are there's always going to be the idiot or careless fool that screws it up for everyone. You have to remember the home owners got to the media and if the DNR doesn't do something it will give them a black eye and that won't sit well with them. You think the home owners are going to settle for a little negotiation when they can get their way?? NOOO! I guarantee this will happen again and soon. When it does we're going to hear some real screaming on channel 7 from the same homeowners. You know, these people have a legitimate gripe and they are willing to blow it out of proportion if need be.

Kevin most hunters are ARE careful but one jerk or one slip up can undo a whole mess of good. :?

I hunted for years mostly with one or two partners and when my trusted friend pulled down on me in his haste to shoot a pheasant that just about ended my hunting days. All I saw was this GIGANTIC barrel pointing at my head. Lucky I hit the dirt just before he shot or I wouldn't be writing this now. After I got done shaking and administering a suitable beating he swore he never saw me. He only saw the bird. :shock: :? :( He was always a very safe and conscientious hunter but....

BTW- This isn't at all like the BS going on at Island Lake. That's strictly anti gun!

SteveS
10-21-2004, 05:43 PM
No matter how safe YOU are there's always going to be the idiot or careless fool that screws it up for everyone.

I agree. Hunters are resposible for identifying their targets and what is beyond them. If they screw up, they are responsible for the consequences. I just think it is up to hunters and homeowners to work together for a solution.