PDA

View Full Version : cheep crossbow?

OpenSights
09-12-2010, 05:37 PM
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/eagle-vi-150-lb-compound-crossbow.aspx?a=552681

Anyone try/own one? What's it like for the money? Looked at Dunhams $150 special today and put it right back! Probably won't/can't get one this year, but that doesn't mean I can't learn.

wardog6t
09-16-2010, 01:19 AM
I've actually been looking at this one. My neighbor just picked it up and I really like it for the money. Even though its not a compound the FPS is on par with a compound. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/175-lb-crossbow-kit-by-jaguar.aspx?a=508885

bad86ta
09-17-2010, 10:53 PM
From what I have read on These the factory optics are not very good... It seems that most buyers have replaced them with aftermarket pieces... Also, it appears that repair/replacments parts are not available for this crossbow...

Draw weight and speed are a less then average when compared to other crossbows, I cannot find a stat for kinetic energy on it... But your only paying $150.00 for it, so that's something to look at.. It will do the job...

Limbs are fairly wide on this crossbow... If you are hunting in a tight space keep this in mind...

You can get into a parker or a wicked ridge (made by tenpoint) for as little as $400.00..

I currently use a tenpoint and I am VERY happy with it, VERY accurate, GREAT grouping and VERY deadly....

You are more then welcome to shoot mine if you would like to get a feel for one and see what you like and don't like....

OpenSights
09-18-2010, 07:36 AM
I've actually been looking at this one. My neighbor just picked it up and I really like it for the money. Even though its not a compound the FPS is on par with a compound. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/175-lb-crossbow-kit-by-jaguar.aspx?a=508885

I've been looking at that one too. One review on the eagle one said he bought both and liked the eagle better.

But a first hand account is better. Thanks for the info.

IMO as long as it can kill a deer and not just wound it, that's what I'm looking for.

OpenSights
09-18-2010, 07:41 AM
From what I have read on These the factory optics are not very good... It seems that most buyers have replaced them with aftermarket pieces... Also, it appears that repair/replacments parts are not available for this crossbow...

Draw weight and speed are a less then average when compared to other crossbows, I cannot find a stat for kinetic energy on it... But your only paying $150.00 for it, so that's something to look at.. It will do the job...

Limbs are fairly wide on this crossbow... If you are hunting in a tight space keep this in mind...

You can get into a parker or a wicked ridge (made by tenpoint) for as little as $400.00..

I currently use a tenpoint and I am VERY happy with it, VERY accurate, GREAT grouping and VERY deadly....

You are more then welcome to shoot mine if you would like to get a feel for one and see what you like and don't like....

Optics are the first thing I'd change.

Tenpoint, I'll have to look them up. Money is tight right now, was kinda hoping to do the payment plan with SMG.

Thanks!

miked
09-18-2010, 07:44 AM
I've been looking at that one too. One review on the eagle one said he bought both and licked the eagle better.

IMO as long as it can kill a deer and not just wound it, that's what I'm looking for.

I think he's doing it wrong :grin:

OpenSights
09-18-2010, 07:59 AM
I think he's doing it wrong :grin:

OOPS! Hey it's early, kid is on and off my lap, wife is complaining about doing dishes. Good start to the weekend!

I'll fix it. Thanks, if he licked it, something's wrong with the guy!

PDinDetroit
09-18-2010, 10:15 AM
I have a Barnett Predator AVI (22 inch bolts, 375 FPS, 133 Foot Pounds, 5 Line Reticle 4x32 scope). Even with a Crossbow Target, the bolts go just about all the way through. Very quiet crossbow, a compact bow, but HEAVY.

http://www.barnettcrossbows.com/product/predator

I have a Barnett Wildcat C5 for the kids (20 inch bolts, 320 FPS, 114 Foot Pounds, 5 Line Reticle 4x32 scope). They are much lighter, but are a little noisier. They are at Dunhams for $299 all day and come with a Rope Cocking Device.

http://www.barnettcrossbows.com/product/wildcat-c5#

I would feel comfortable hunting with either!

bad86ta
09-18-2010, 12:40 PM
Optics are the first thing I'd change.

Tenpoint, I'll have to look them up. Money is tight right now, was kinda hoping to do the payment plan with SMG.

Thanks!

Tenpoint Prolly makes the best crossbows on the market... they also come with a lifetime warranty and have some of the best customer service in the industry... if you have an issue their going to make it right... they are also 100% American made minus their optics...
Tenpoints are also on the higher end of the money spectrum, which if you're looking for a budget crossbow they may not be for you... their cheapest crossbow will set you back about $700 and that's witout a cocking aid...

Leader
09-18-2010, 01:41 PM
I've been looking at that one too. One review on the eagle one said he bought both and liked the eagle better.

If you had been following the crossbow debates for the last few years, you would know all you have to do is get your crossbow out and stand next to your truck. The deer will just come jump in the back & die.
ANY crossbow is guaranteed to KILL every deer within 5 miles of it.
Now that crossbows are legal, the MI deer heard is toast, we won't have a deer season next year.

wardog6t
09-19-2010, 04:35 PM
If you had been following the crossbow debates for the last few years, you would know all you have to do is get your crossbow out and stand next to your truck. The deer will just come jump in the back & die.
ANY crossbow is guaranteed to KILL every deer within 5 miles of it.
Now that crossbows are legal, the MI deer heard is toast, we won't have a deer season next year.

That's just a crazy statement! Every bow hunter in Michigan cannot afford to go out and by a crossbow. Some bow hunters are not willing to give up the downrange kinetic energy. Some crossbow hunters may think they are going to more proficient but you have to see deer to shoot them. Compound bows shoot just as fast and hit even harder as the state has mandated the FPS of crossbow. Crossbows weigh a lot more then a compound and can be more restrictive and harder to manuever in a tree stand. Not everyone is sold on crossbows. For the guys that are older, lazy or just plain do not bow hunt with a regular bow because they cant hit crap with them they will probably use crossbows.. For True hunters who make the decision to jump on the band wagon that's cool too. I have already stated in other post's I do see an increased injury report during the bow season this year. Not to mention the wounded and lost deer this year. One good thing is the coyote population should Boom after this winter.

Ferd
10-06-2010, 07:58 PM

Ohio has allowed crossbows since 1976, and continues to see a record number of deer harvested year after year. They've even extended the archery deer season to keep the herd in check. On average, the harvest has increased 7-10% per year.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/9/pdf/pub304.pdf

BravoKilo
10-06-2010, 09:24 PM
A bit more expensive than what you're currently looking for, but if you're considering Ten Point, you should also look at Excalibur. Lifetime warranty on the bow and arguably one of the best in terms of customer service. Great quality and will last a lifetime. Less moving parts on a recurve, and you can change the string in the field in minutes without the need for a press as you would a compound. Also has a kick ass trigger at around 3.5 lbs

They come in a variety of packages depending on your needs... fiber optics, red dot or scope. Recently picked up the Phoenix w/ their Red dot "Lite Stuff" package -- Red dot, mount, quiver, 4 arrows w/ field points and cocking aid for $510 + shipping.

Take a look: http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/