PDA

View Full Version : Greenhorn Question

savedbydbelle
10-25-2004, 03:17 AM
This greenhorn has a question for you. I was bow hunting from a tree stand and a doe came in just about dusk...followed by a very zealous buck!!! The only problem was that he pawed the gound and snorted for so long, it became too dark to shoot before he came into range. So I just watched and listened for a VERY long time while the doe ate and the buck expressed impatience at her lack of interest in him. Question...how do I leave my hunting site? They were going to be there for a while.....On this night, Wes walked back into the woods to check on me and the deer spooked long before he drew near to the blind. Will this discourage them from returning to the same spot? Would it be better to wait them out even if it is a prolonged period of time? That would not be a bad thing, the experience was awesome!!! Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks! I'll be trying again on Tuesday.

Sandie

taurus92
10-25-2004, 05:37 AM
Wait them out is best.

If you cant wait them they will pay attention tot he spot the noise came from for a bit though. I have shot at a deer and had it run abotu 10 yards.. smack the ground with its hoove and snort. Run away and then come back to eat in about 10 minutes. They were really paying attention to the ground blind but since they did not see anything or scent me they ate for a bit and ran off. They were just too alert to try another shot.

G22
10-25-2004, 05:44 AM
Deer are funny. But I'd say they'll probably be back.

Let me tell you why I say this. Two weekends ago my friend & i were up salmon fishing in Alpena. His grandpa/family has 160 acres in Spruce. Well it was the middle of the day, we were hand throwing some skeet in the back feild (right next to his dads corn feeder). We shot probably 45-50 shells & were sitting on the tailgate taking a break when what to our wondering eyes should appear? No, it wasen't reindeer!!! It was a NICE size doe and her offspring. They walked almost within 30ft!!! We werent being quite at all until we saw them. I was amazed after all the shooting & talking we were doing. When they saw movement from us they bolted about 100yds. We sat & watched for a few more minutes, then they started coming back. They came right back within 50 ft or so.

Bottom line...If their hungry, they'll be back!!
Talk about freaks of nature, I don't think we could have been any louder.

Good luck :D

taurus92
10-25-2004, 08:41 AM
Talk about freaks of nature, I don't think we could have been any louder.

Good luck :D

Hey now is that any way to talk about your friend? I maen yes you are a freak of nature but..... :roll:

G22
10-25-2004, 08:52 AM
HEY lets go phesant hunting, I'll walk behind you :shock:

taurus92
10-25-2004, 09:36 AM
HEY lets go phesant hunting, I'll walk behind you :shock:

Anytime! Now that I know some wild pheasant truly exist in this state....

G22
10-25-2004, 10:18 AM
Saw "1" in Spruce a few weekends ago.
Probably escaped from the phesant farm nearby.

papabear
10-25-2004, 02:05 PM
I live in Hillsdale county and have seen wild pheasants every year. Had one sneak up on me and crow under my tree stand last week, almost fell out of the tree :shock: so they are out there.

sprink
10-25-2004, 05:39 PM
It's better that Wes scared them off than you. If you spook them they associate your tree with the problem. Wes was just a wandering "threat".

As for pheasants, out near Lansing I see quite a few every year. The y are not extinct.

I see 'em in Detroit too. ('course I wouldn't eat one that came from some of those fields. They are probably toxic. :wink: )

Roger Roney
10-26-2004, 12:58 AM
<snip>I see 'em in Detroit too. ('course I wouldn't eat one that came from some of those fields. They are probably toxic. :wink: )Puts a whle different meaning on the post dinner "Afterglow." (Glow in the dark? :D :D )

Roger

savedbydbelle
10-26-2004, 09:24 AM
Thanks all. I was back out last night and they came...I didn't shoot at the group of does because I was waiting for the buck. He came about 15 minutes later but it was too dark by then to take the shot. I'll be in the tree this evening!

sprink
10-26-2004, 05:49 PM
Best of luck! I'm sure you will share the news.