PDA

View Full Version : Question!?!

ZoppaT
09-16-2010, 12:46 AM
I wanna know opinions about the Taurus Judge as a practical self defense weapon.

Fuel Fire Desire
09-16-2010, 01:13 AM
Against what? Snakes? Then yes, it is a FANTASTIC pistol!

For human beings? ...not so much. There are better options out there with a greater capacity and greater caliber choices within the same weight range.

However, I am not a judge hater (you will find many), as I am eagerly awaiting the release of the "raging" judge. :mrgreen:

(.410/ .45lc/ .454 casull)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_LXX74PaKvi0/S3Tbl54iU-I/AAAAAAAABQc/yXLn6V1cW2Q/s400/taurusmagnum.jpg

:cannon:

theaudidoc
09-16-2010, 09:31 AM
I think it would work well for home defense.. loaded with some bird shot....not having to worry about bullets going thru walls into other rooms...

Pyzik
09-16-2010, 09:44 AM
I think it would work well for home defense.. loaded with some bird shot....not having to worry about bullets going thru walls into other rooms...
Bird shot is NOT adequate defense against a human. Within the first few feet the pattern doesn't expand and after that even a light jacket will provide at least some protection from pellets.
In a defense situation you want to stop the invader/attacker as quickly as possible. Six shots of bird shot and you still might have a hand to hand with the foe.

miked
09-16-2010, 09:46 AM
Some info from The Box O' Truth (http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm)

Birdshot out of any shotgun is not a good choice for personal defense. It makes a mess but does not penetrate.

zigziggityzoo
09-16-2010, 09:59 AM
Against what? Snakes? Then yes, it is a FANTASTIC pistol!

For human beings? ...not so much. There are better options out there with a greater capacity and greater caliber choices within the same weight range.

However, I am not a judge hater (you will find many), as I am eagerly awaiting the release of the "raging" judge. :mrgreen:

(.410/ .45lc/ .454 casull)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_LXX74PaKvi0/S3Tbl54iU-I/AAAAAAAABQc/yXLn6V1cW2Q/s400/taurusmagnum.jpg

:cannon:

Now THAT looks like a good Yellowstone national park hiking gun.

Fuel Fire Desire
09-16-2010, 11:32 AM
Now THAT looks like a good Yellowstone national park hiking gun.

My thoughts exactly. First chamber loaded with shot for the unexpected rattle snake, then .454 in the rest for bear.

fbuckner
09-16-2010, 11:58 AM
What if the bear is first on the scene?:doh:

jvanhorn
09-16-2010, 12:22 PM

That's what double action is for. Shoot him with bird shot, then pull the trigger again!

miked
09-16-2010, 12:27 PM

Shoot the bear with bird shot and hope it laughs himself to death.

Depending on the size/speed of the bear, you might want to save the 2nd round for yourself. LOL

Fuel Fire Desire
09-16-2010, 02:00 PM

Keep squeezing the bang lever until the cylinder is empty. :army:

Quaamik
09-25-2010, 12:45 PM
personal opinion: Its a good speciallized woods survival gun and a reasonable general purpose camp / ranch / hiking gun where you amy have to deal with snakes, bears, human predators or hunt for survival.

For dedicated self defense? It's usable but not ideal.

A mixed load with a snake round followed with anti bear / SD rounds is not the best choice for woods use. The heavy bear / SD loads should be first as those threats are likely to require the fastest reaction. The snake loads should be last, or carried as reloads. With a snake situation, you are much more likely to have time to idex the gun to the correct round prior to shooting.

OX SMASH!!
09-25-2010, 02:00 PM
410 slugs are aparently pretty hard hitters tho, it would be a fun gun, id buy one, not my first choice tho

Fuel Fire Desire
09-25-2010, 02:24 PM
personal opinion: Its a good speciallized woods survival gun and a reasonable general purpose camp / ranch / hiking gun where you amy have to deal with snakes, bears, human predators or hunt for survival.

For dedicated self defense? It's usable but not ideal.

A mixed load with a snake round followed with anti bear / SD rounds is not the best choice for woods use. The heavy bear / SD loads should be first as those threats are likely to require the fastest reaction. The snake loads should be last, or carried as reloads. With a snake situation, you are much more likely to have time to idex the gun to the correct round prior to shooting.

My thought on the snake load first, was if you encountered a bear, you could quickly pop off the weak snake load, then follow up with a .454 in DA.

RECON762WT
09-26-2010, 08:19 AM
They did a review on one in "SWAT" magizine last month. It did not get good reviews. Might want to check that out.

badman
09-26-2010, 08:47 AM
i have a judge with a 6 inch barrel. that longer barrel really helps keep the pattern. i personally wouldnt even think of shooting a bad guy with birdshot. anyone who owns this gun can tell you that the pattern is way to wide unless you are 10ft or less away. birdshot is as it says "for birds" birds are a lot smaller then humans, i wouldnt trust a 10 guage loaded with birdshot for personal defense. the judge is in my opinion a fantastic personal protection piece. it is large and bulky and ony holds 5 rounds which definetly limits its usefullness. but most of your personal defense situations will be within 20 ft or less so this gun can ensure you dont miss. in my opinion it is all about what load you use in the gun. birdshot is reletively worthless (even for shooting birds. the patern is too wide) however buckshot is devistating in this thing. 4 pellets of 000 buck fit in one shell. federal makes factory loads already, i load them up good and hott myself. 1 round will destroy a milk jug full of water from 20 yards. usually at least 2 .357 size projectiles hit at the same time. this is on a milk jug so on a man size target usually at least 3 hit. if you move in closer then the chance for more pellets hitting is greater obviously. and if those aint enough hitt em with a round or 2 of 45 colt. personally i use 2 round of 45 colt in the first 2 shots then follow it up with 3 shots of 4 pellett 000 buck. two shots that i am aiming right at them and 3 more "patterned" while i am jumpin and diving around after the first 2 shots.
all that being said good luck with your purchase.

Fuel Fire Desire
09-26-2010, 11:30 AM
What is a typical mussel velocity on a .410 with 000 or a slug?

badman
10-02-2010, 06:55 PM
i couldnt tell you what the velocity is. i dont have a crony. i know that 4 357 size round balls flying at you would mess you up bad, even at low velocity.

gomerpyle
10-04-2010, 09:32 AM
Here's another option. http://www.winchester.com/Products/shotshell-ammunition/supreme-elite/pdx1410/Pages/S410PDX1.aspx