PDA

View Full Version : anyone like to teach a newbie tricks on Muzzleloaders

Rolex Dr.
10-31-2004, 02:20 PM
HELP

I want to buy a muzzle loader and have it narrowed down

but have only shot a few and they were the older non inline style
and would like input

like the TC omega in 50 cal as well as the encore but not sure if it is worth the extra $ to be able to swap barrels

narrowed it to a non bolt action style 50 cal in stainless and wood (syn ok too)

want to hunt with it hopefully this year

Im getting bored with the shotgun, and the .44 is a blast
but the smokepole extentends my season

help please

Jamie

will trade archery advise (thats my specality)

ANIMAL
10-31-2004, 11:46 PM
Sorry I don't know anything about the fake smokepoles. Now if you want help with a traditional smokepole I'll be more than glad to help.

Rolex Dr.
11-01-2004, 12:33 AM
COOL

i may tak you up on that

im kinda backwards

i start with the newer stuff and then go backwards

i have been hunting with compounds for years bought a mathews got it all tweaked out to shooting lifesavers at 20+ yards consistently the i bought a recurve

I think im gonna buy a inling try to stay away for a scope
then go to the older style after i get a deer or 2

I get bored with the new stuff too fast but whats nice is after i do dad can hunt with the ML and i can use the older style kinda like backwards recycling

JAmie

Bob S
11-02-2004, 06:34 PM
I am not an expert. But, if I hunted in the shotgun zone and wanted to use a muzzleloader rather then a shotgun, I would go with the Omega.

I have the Winchester Apex. Which is similar in design to the Omega. I hunt in the rifle zone, so I went with the cheaper muzzleloader because it is not my primary hunting rifle.

Rolex Dr.
11-03-2004, 12:16 AM
i went looking today at them again

i think im gonna do the omega

looking at the s/s barrel with the laminate stock cuz it looks cool i just dislike camo guns

any good spots to buy locally??

I have a $150 gift cert to cabelas and i wll be down that way sunday

I like the winchester apex looks feels good and great $$$

but i did not like the fact when carrying the gun hammer down it could get bumped to srtikng the pin to fire the primer (unsafe i think)

where the omega has a halfcocked notch

JAmie

Bob S
11-03-2004, 12:30 PM
My Apex has the S/S barrel and a black synthetic stock. If I remember correctly from when I was looking at them, the Omega was lighter than the Apex. I think the Omega is the right choice to make if it is going to be your primary firearm season weapon. I bought my muzzleloader at Jay`s in Clare. Gander Mountain was cheaper, but I like to support Jay`s whenever possible.

RSF
11-03-2004, 09:13 PM
having had 2 omegas and a encore i can tell you this all 3 guns loved triple 7 100 grains (2 pellets) and the 250 grain t/c -horandy shockwave/sst horandy makes it for tc i was able to keep groups under 1-inch at 100yds! have 3 other friends with the same guns and love the same load! clean them with same good old cleaner you would normally use and lube! make sure to dry patch the gun before shooting! and use a good anit sieze lube. on breech plug! the apex and cva are spanish made and have had several failures of the explosive kind! the quality control is terrible! just do some web searching!

the omega is a great choice

Rolex Dr.
11-03-2004, 10:56 PM
cool

thanks for the info

i value the input i get here from guys that are not out to screw anyone

JD

Rolex Dr.
11-05-2004, 12:01 AM
ordered my Omega today

s/s fluted barrel with the laminate thumbhole stock

also getting a weaver 2-7 scope for it

a customer i have not seen in months stopped in for a battery for his watch before heading out west hunting ans we got shooting the breeze and i for got he was an FFL

got a smokin deal

should be hear mon-tues

JD

jmoser
11-08-2004, 01:11 PM
My T/C Encore shoots real well with the 250 Shockwave/Hornady SST sabots and 130 gr Pyrodex pellets. I have to assume the Omega is a comparable bbl coming from T/C.

Remember to clean clean clean clean the bbl before the first shot, follow the directions in the T/C owner's manual. This 'virgin' cleaning sets the stage for the life of your bbl, how it gets 'broken in' or 'seasoned' or whatever you want to call it. Rest assured there are residual machining fluids / lubricants left over from manufacturing - you need to get rid of every trace before shooting.

Following initial cleaning I have had good luck using T/C's bore butter / #13 cleaner. You can get those anywhere that sells muzzleloading stuff.

You will soon be hooked; I am like you - start with the new stuff and then regress. I have the Encore and a older, used T/C flintlock, nothing in between.

I love my Encore but the 2 piece stock does require some TLC in order to get the forend 'free floated' from the frame and bbl. The break open action also benefits from some hotrodding to tighten up the lockup.

The breech block design was a good idea for the inline - you should have good luck with the Omega.