PDA

View Full Version : Winchester M88

oldfart
09-17-2010, 03:38 PM
:?:
Anyone know much about this gun, a freind of mine has it and I would like to get it from him. He sent it to me a couple of days ago, the action was stuck open, it needed a good cleaning and I never found what was holding it open, I put it back together and it works. The woods not great but repairable, the bluing and action are still good. I've heard the recoil block on the early guns was a issue. I would like to make him a fair offer like my M366 Marlin and some cash. Any help would be appreciated

MichiganShootist
09-17-2010, 04:02 PM
This gun is the lever action version of the Winchester 100. Both were very popular hunting guns in the 60's and early 70's. They were chambered in a number of calibers with .308 being the most common. (Think--Winchester's answer to the sleek Savage lever gun of that era)

If the blue, barrel, and wood were excellent it "Could be" a $500 - $700 gun.

If not- - - you go downhill from there... since there were many thousands of these guns made. Many "shooters grade" guns pop up at the shows for $300.

I hope that helps.

Mark

BTW-- mags are hard to find. I have seen them priced at $50 and more at gun shows... cause the mags fit the 100 and the 88.

wombat12
09-17-2010, 04:11 PM
+1, unless it happens to be a .284 Winchester. If a .284,add $100 or so to above pricing.

oldfart
09-18-2010, 05:39 AM
Thanks. It is a 308 and thats what I figured it was worth. but I never seen this gun before and wasn't sure. is it prone to jamming? The last thing I want is to trade off a gun that has no feed issues for a problem child even if it's a inferior caliber.

wombat12
09-18-2010, 06:38 AM
Haven't heard reports of feed problems. As with any detachable box magazine, it pays to keep an eye on the feed lips.
Should make a dandy deer rifle. Don't know why they were discontinued. Could be that there wasn't that large of a market and it was filled by the Savage 99 and Browning BLR.
Reading material:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/winchester_88.htm

More info than you could ever use:

http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional_info/winchesterl_88_100.htm

oldfart
09-18-2010, 03:35 PM
Great stuff, thanks Wombat!