PDA

View Full Version : True Story: Beagles Botch Hunting

Wesley w/Glock
11-08-2004, 04:30 PM
This actually happened. What would you do:

You are on your own land where your residence is. You are deep in the woods late afternoon behind your house (deep enough to block any view of civilization) in your blind waiting stealthily with your bow prepared for a particular big a-$ buck you have seen twice before on your property. You have been diligently laying bait piles in stretegically located places to generally bring the entire heard in for harvest.

And then... THERE HE IS trotting down your prepared lane into your bait pile and you are ready... except... he doesn't stop! He keeps on going as if he is headed somewhere. The only place for him to go is several hundred acres of marsh and wet land behind your property to the north. And then thirty seconds later a pair of beagles trott down the lane hot on his trail baying. Just for informational purposes, nobody was observed calling for the dogs at any time then or later. You have been going to great lengths to keep your own dog tied up with the onset of hunting season so as not to discourage the heard away from your property.

What would you do?
Nothing. Just wait for more deer (fat chance that day).
Dispatch the hounds and quietly bury them in a shallow grave.
Try to scare the dogs away with warning shots placed very near them in hopes that they will remember not to return.
Something else.

karcent
11-08-2004, 05:39 PM
It is perfectly legal to dispatch a dog that is running deer.

sprink
11-08-2004, 08:09 PM
I believe we can hunt small game during bow season. You better be really sure about dispatching a dog. Better be your property. If it's public land, I've got 5 rounds in my 870 and you just F--ed with my family.

( don't think beagles eat too many deer :lol: )

One of Many
11-08-2004, 10:11 PM
Several States authorize law enforcement, and property owners/renters to kill any dog seen chasing livestock or wildlife on property they control. Many States make it illegal to allow your dogs to chase wildlife, and penalize owners that fail to contain their dogs.

Rolex Dr.
11-08-2004, 11:49 PM
actually had that happeen a few years back

but it was not beagles

it was a nast mangy looking farm dog a shepard i think

it was running deer past me (not my idea of a deer drive)

then when it spooted me it came right to me i shooed it then i threw rocks it kept coming back then mr. 12 ga got him to stop bothering me

he was the most awful looking dog looke like it been thru a war like stunk like hell at 1st i thought it was a yote but was too big and ugly looking

so i guess my answer is dump him it you can drop it in its tracks (IE gun season)

an arrow tends to lead to tracking especially of the dog is all hyped

jd

sorry shooting a dog was the hardest thing i have done in a long time but it had to be done

Wesley w/Glock
11-09-2004, 09:57 AM
ADDENDUM:
As per your personal practice, you are carrying your concealed pistol. You don't have it with you because of where you are. You have it with you because you just always do.

And for those who don't read carefully, this is your private land. This is where you live complete with 2 1/2 car garage.

G22
11-09-2004, 10:24 AM
Try to scare the dogs away with warning shots placed very near them in hopes that they will remember not to return.

I'm not sure what I'd do. But I wouldn't do this.
If their hunting dogs the shots shouldn't scare them at all.

If the dogs were tagged, I'd contact the owner with a warning not to let them tresspass on your property. If if happened again...Well, I'd hate to dispatch good dogs for the stupidity of the owner after all, a hunting dog will hunt. So it would be a tough call. If it were a mangy stray the decision would be easier.

Good question though Wes.

Jerry
11-09-2004, 05:12 PM
You did not state if the dogs had collars on them or not and you did not mention if you knew who owned the dogs..........If neither of the above were know about the dogs and I was on private property....dead dogs and I would not care who knew it.....next time they would keep better track of their animals.

JMOO (just my own opinion)

sprink
11-09-2004, 05:33 PM
And for those who don't read carefully,

I read fine Wes.

I was addressing Kurt's open statement on dispatching dogs. Beagles run and sometimes trespass. It's the owner's responsibility to control the dogs, but I don't think killing the dogs is the right answer. If the dog is wearing a collar and not killing your livestock, you might think twice.

For those shoot it and bury it types, remember if it is that easy, it could happen to you. :wink:

G22
11-30-2004, 12:25 PM
It is perfectly legal to dispatch a dog that is running deer.

better check again... :P

http://midnr.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/MiDNR.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=yORAKPrh&p_lva=&p_faqid=2889&p_c reated=1005834603&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0 mcF9yb3dfY250PTM2JnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9ZG9ncyZwX3Byb 2RfbHZsMT1_YW55fiZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMj1_YW55fiZwX3BhZ2U 9MQ**&p_li=

karcent
11-30-2004, 01:51 PM
Hmmmm........
That's not the way I remember reading it, but I guess things change.
BTW, I did not advocate shooting them, just pointing out that (it used to be) legal.
I'm a dog lover. (it's the owners who I hate)
My wife and I spent many years breeding and showing Bouviers.

G22
11-30-2004, 02:23 PM
I'm a dog lover. (it's the owners who I hate)

Roger that!!

Divegeek
11-30-2004, 03:40 PM
Karcent, you may be remembering this part of the law: "Any person including a law enforcement officer may kill any dog which he sees in the act of pursuing, worrying, or wounding any livestock or poultry or attacking persons, and there shall be no liability on such person in damages or otherwise, for such killing. Any dog that enters any field or enclosure which is owned by or leased by a person producing livestock or poultry, outside of a city, unaccompanied by his owner or his owner's agent, shall constitute a trespass, and the owner shall be liable in damages."

click here (http://midnr.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/MiDNR.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=qBjaqQrh&p_lva=2889&p_faqid=3040 &p_created=1040058267&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9ncmlkc29 ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTImcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1kb2dzICtsa XZlc3RvY2sgK3BvdWx0cnkmcF9wcm9kX2x2bDE9fmFueX4mcF9 wcm9kX2x2bDI9fmFueX4mcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=)

So if its cows, or chickens blast away, but if it's deer or other wildlife forget it.

karcent
11-30-2004, 05:05 PM
Could be, but I seem to remember the term "running deer". It was years ago that I read it. Didn't really effect me, because the only dog I would shoot is one that is about to attack me or my family.

Jim Rund
11-30-2004, 07:17 PM
Good question but killing the dogs for trailing a deer is a little harsh especially seeing it's beagles. I know any dog will chase fleeing animals and dogs don't know property lines. Also how many times have dogs gotten loose by accident. I know my beagles when I had them got loose many times by accident or by neighbor kids letting them out and the dogs run off. Only way I would shoot the dogs is if they were attacking me or family. Just my 2cents.

Ken P
11-30-2004, 07:46 PM
my cocker spaniel loves to chase semi's...

what she plans on doing if she ever catches one is beyond me...please don't shoot her if she chases your's