PDA

View Full Version : AK-47 test drive.

Slatherd
11-08-2004, 06:11 PM
Well, I took my Ak out to the Range at Pontiac Lake. I love it. This is a great gun. Low kick, low rise, The iron sights lack a little. But, a scope will help that. I was able to put it on paper at 50 yards. I think the 25 yd range will be better till I get more proficient with it.

Also, 7.52 x 39 is on sale at Dunham's. 2.19 a box for 20 rds. They said it will stay that way indefinatly. Regular 3.99. Not a bad deal.

Wesley w/Glock
11-09-2004, 10:18 AM
The iron sights lack a little. But, a scope will help that.
Don't do a scope. Get a red dot (ACOG)! If you have never used a red dot on a carbine you are in for a radical surprise. It is a whole new concept in target acquisition. The Army is buying ACOGs for some of their carbines except they get the really good units that don't use batteries.
[quote=Slatherd]Also, 7.52 x 39 is on sale at Dunham's. 2.19 a box for 20 rds. They said it will stay that way indefinatly. Regular 3.99. Not a bad deal.
One of the advantages of the AK is that you can use the really cheap lacquered steel case Wolf ammo. You can usually get a thousand round for $80. The Wolf ammo will jam up an AR but works flawlessly in an AK.

lee
11-09-2004, 09:52 PM
Glad you like the AK. My favorite is my VEPR K RPK AK. I t has a med/heavy barrel and is quite heavy. I agree with Wesley----I use a red dot and can tack drive them in as fast as I stabilize the rifle between shots. At 50 yards I put them in a 3 inch circle at one a second consistenly. Would like to see your Arsenal AK. I have a muzzle brake on mine which really tames the rifle. Beware AK's are addictive :shock:

Slatherd
11-10-2004, 12:48 AM
Appreciate the replies.

I'll check into the red dot.

As far as a photo, here is their website.

http://www.arsenalinc.com/index1.html

Mine is the one pointing left. I got the one with the plastic parts. So they say, this will be the last run with the milled receiver. They appear to be going stamped. Glad I got the milled one.

How would I go about mounting a reddot on there? I've seen this http://www.ak-47.net/ak47/sights/scopemounts.html it replaces the stock cover and creates a weaver mount. Question is, can I get a red dot on there?

lee
11-10-2004, 10:11 AM
My Ak's have the scope mount on the left side of the receiver---just slide it on and tighten the handle. My VEPR K holds zero quite well. Most AK's have the mount. Go with a red dot with a AK mount built in.

Wesley w/Glock
11-10-2004, 10:27 AM
If the weapon will accept a scope, it will accept a red dot.

Probably the significant consideration of the red dot concept is that you have a 1x optic onto which a holographic red dot is projected but it is focused at 50 yards (infinity). To the shooter the effect is a red dot being placed directly on the target rather than trying to line up a cross-hair. There are no parallax considerations. If you can see the dot, the bullet will land where ever the dot is sitting. With a scope there is only a narrow window through which you can look to acquire the cross-hair but the window for seeing the red dot is pretty wide.

You can look at a wide selection of red dots at Cabellas in Dundee. Remember, you get what you pay for. They have some $60 red dots and some $250 ones. The $60 work but not as well as the $250 ones. With all of them, though, you have to keep batteries in them. If you want to up the ante to roughly $800 (starting) you can get ten year tritium models (not sold at Cabellas) that use no batteries. These are what the army buys. Search on the web using the key word ACOG.

After everything is said and done, what distinguishes the red dot from a scope is speed of multiple target acquisition. The scope is fine for hunting where stealth is the primary concern and 4x and up optics help. The red dot concept would be nullified without the 1x optics. Probably maybe 50 to 80 yards is pushing the envelope for red dot effectiveness. If small groups are of primary concern you should stick with the scope on your bolt action. But the AK is not a small group carbine to begin with. The red dot is for a combat application where only combat accuracy is your objective.

Slatherd
11-10-2004, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I'll surely be looking into one of those red dots.

My AK being american made doesnt have that side mount for the scope arm. i', sure arsenal could do it, but I'd hate to be without my new toy to long! :lol:

SteveS
11-11-2004, 11:45 AM
These are what the army buys. Search on the web using the key word ACOG.

Isn't the Army also using the Aimpoint?