PDA

View Full Version : Arisaka model 38 longrifle.

Slatherd
11-10-2004, 12:52 AM
My grandfather brought back a model 38 rifle from the field in the Phillipenes. He has since given it to me. Ive gone through it, and it appears to be in good working order. Its also complete with the cleaning rod and bayonet. (with the sheath) No sling though.

I was wondering is there anything else to know about this rifle? Ive looked up production numbers and things like that. Also, does anyone know where I can get the 6.5 x 50mm rounds for it? I've looked with no luck.

any help is appreciated.

Kouger
11-10-2004, 01:07 AM
i am no expert by any means......... but i havent heardof a 6.5X50 only a 6.5X55 round.

they can be expensive if thats it.best deal i have found is on www.ammoman.com

6.5X55 FEDERAL 140 Grain
FULL METAL JACKET

SWEDISH MAUSER AMMO

BEST SALE EVER !!!!!

8-BOXES MINIMUM MIX OR MATCH ANY ITEM ON WEBSITE

FREE SHIPPING

Part Number #65X55-0100-FMJ, 0110-FMJ

$10-BOX(20) rounds.

8-BOX MINUMUM

$200-case of 500 rounds.

but.then again.i can be wrong.woudlnt be the first time

ANIMAL
11-10-2004, 01:34 AM
If its a real oddball round NORMA is probably the only folks that will make it and its gonna cost you.

Had an argentine mauser years ago 70's and shells cost me 21 bucks for 20 rounds. sold that puppy quick

It was nice in the beginning. got the gun for 50 bucks at J.C. Pennys at 13 and woodward and boxes of 1946 and 47 shells cost $2.50 for 50 count but when they ran out. sticker shock.

karcent
11-10-2004, 07:03 AM
Craig is correct. Norma manufactures 6.5jap. It runs almost $2.00 a round. If you're going to shoot that rifle regularly you will want to reload.
This cartridge is not the same as 6.5x55.

Slatherd
11-10-2004, 10:55 AM
hmmm... I think I'll just keep it in the gun cabinet and lat it look pretty.

Thanks for the info fellas.

Kouger
11-10-2004, 01:57 PM
Craig is correct. Norma manufactures 6.5jap. It runs almost $2.00 a round. If you're going to shoot that rifle regularly you will want to reload.
This cartridge is not the same as 6.5x55.

I stand corrected.......thank you for letting all of us know.

like i said.never heard of it..........doesn't mean its not made.grin

M1911A1
11-10-2004, 08:30 PM
As stated earlier, the 6.5 Jap is only made by Norma these days.
I have a pair of the type 38 Arisaka rifles. I can caution you that firing the rifle is an expensive proposition. A box of 20 rounds will run around $40 or so. The good news is GunMate BoreSnake model 24013 for the .257-.264 caliber cleans it very well.
The type 99 that came later in 7.7 Jap is a bit more common and less expensive to shoot. Heck, I've seen 7.7 Jap at Cabelas
I had a whole load of info on the Arisaka rifles, including arsenal marking identification and possible date of manufacture, however be advised that some records from that era are lost. a
Arisaka rifles with the mum intact are the most desirable by collectors. Most imports had the mum ground off, although some of the GI bring backs from Korea also had the ground mum. Many of the WWII bring backs simply had three scores put through the mum.
Is the dust cover (over the bolt) still intact? Even though the Japanese soldiers of WWII revered their equipment as Imperial property, most did remove the dust cover since it rattled whenever the bolt was operated and gave away their positions.

Slatherd
11-10-2004, 09:21 PM
Yeah. The bolt cover is gone, but the mum is still there. This one is complete with bayonet and cleaning rod. No sling though. He said he picked this rifle up on the battle field after the fighting was over. He also got the guys wallet (it had fallen out on the ground.)

From what Ive found this is a model 38. how can I tell the difference between a 38 and 99?

M1911A1
11-11-2004, 06:26 AM
The Japanese characters on the top of the receiver will tell you. The first character means the word "type" the next two are the numbers. The easiest way to tell without a picture is if the next two are identical, then it's either a type 99 or a type 44. The type 44 was, to the best of me recollection, a carbine. Also check the bolt to see if the numbers match the serial number (last three digits).

LivoniaDan
11-11-2004, 04:20 PM
if you are anywhere near the Hardware Store in Wayne, Michigan.... he had about 6 boxes of 6.5Jap..... I have a Model 38 too....