PDA

View Full Version : Outers Foul Out Cleaning system

jmoser
11-10-2004, 09:51 AM
Has anyone used the Outers 'Foul Out' electrochemical cleaning systems?

I have a rifle that just loads up with copper no matter what, too much elbow grease to keep cleaning it, plus it is not a bolt gun and must be cleaned from the muzzle - sooner or later I am going to scuff up the crown.

I have read good and bad reports of the earlier versions (1 and 2,) now they are up to version 3 which uses different electrolyte solutions and is billed as working faster, uses an AC adaptor not batteries.

Midway has the Foul Out III for $70, I am thinking it is worth a try.

Any insight / experience is appreciated.

sprink
11-10-2004, 04:46 PM
I've used it a few times. It does seem to work for severe fouling. It takes time and if it is really bad, alternating with traditional solvents seems to help with the "layers" of fouling.

When you finally get it clean, you might try to smooth out the bore a bit with JB bore paste. It is a cleaner that contains very mild abrasives (Remington's bore cleaner does too). A smooth polished bore will fowl less.

45 acp
11-10-2004, 07:12 PM
I have never used the Outers Foul Out. But I have had very good luck with Birchwood Caseys Copper Solvent.

alex-vitek
11-11-2004, 09:01 AM
"tobythelab",
As soon as I read the first line I knew that I had seen this question before.

The responses you got here and the ones on the email list are both good suggestions, especially the one about keeping the center electrode rod clean.

I used my second generation unit a couple of times for removing leading from some handgun barrels. Then, I started to use softer lead mixes for better bullet obturation and most of the leading went away. For what was left a couple of minutes with some Ed's Red soaking in the barrel and a couple of patches over a bore brush and the problem is gone. Except for some of the 1500 fps + rounds I don't worry about leading problems anymore.

I found using the unit to be tedious and it was actually quicker to use solvents intended for the problem and letting it soak. Properly fitted brushes when necessary would finish off the chore. Brushes wear out a lot faster than most of us think so I buy them by the dozen.