PDA

View Full Version : HB 5989 to improve CCW procedures

WhoIsJohnGalt
11-12-2004, 06:56 AM
HB 5989

Representatives of SAFR were on hand Wednesday to testify on behalf of Gene ReRossett’s HB 5989 to improve CCW procedures. This bill would remove the fingerprinting requirement for renewals and would require gun boards to make a decision within 30 days from the time a concealed weapon license renewal application is filed. The House Conservation and Outdoor Recreation Committee passed the bill 8-0 and it now goes to the House for consideration. This is an excellent opportunity to improve the concealed carry process in Michigan. Please drop your representatives a note supporting the bill, and please mention SAFR.

Thanks!

karcent
11-12-2004, 07:26 AM
John, what happened to the Sec of State taking over the responsibility?

LivoniaDan
11-12-2004, 08:03 AM
SOS Land was waiting until after the elections to work on that..... That is all that I remember hearing about it.....

goldwing2000
11-12-2004, 08:40 AM
If this passes, when can we expect it to become law?

PhotoTom
11-12-2004, 09:36 AM

that would be SB 0891 (2003):

http://mileg.org/mileg.asp?page=getObject&objName=2003-SB-0891

It is still laying idle in the Senate's committee on judicary since December 2003.

SB 0891 (2003) would also eliminate the requirement for fingerprinting, along with eliminating gun boards. The whole process would be taken care of by the SOS and MSP.

THAT's the bill we want to see pushed! HB 5989 is essentially a comprimise of SB 0891.

karcent
11-12-2004, 09:46 AM

that would be SB 0891 (2003):

http://mileg.org/mileg.asp?page=getObject&objName=2003-SB-0891

It is still laying idle in the Senate's committee on judicary since December 2003.

SB 0891 (2003) would also eliminate the requirement for fingerprinting, along with eliminating gun boards. The whole process would be taken care of by the SOS and MSP.

THAT's the bill we want to see pushed! HB 5989 is essentially a comprimise of SB 0891.

I have to agree, Tom.
I don't see any sense in gun rights groups supporting HB 5989 when there is a better alternative.
Push to get SB 0891 moving! Eliminate the gun boards.

PhotoTom
11-12-2004, 10:05 AM
Well....I could have sworn I saw the removal of the renewal fingerprinting requirements tied into this bill...but after looking specifically for it, it's not. This bill skips right over section 5l, so these bills do two seperate things afterall...

karcent
11-12-2004, 10:47 AM
Removal of repeat fingerprints is an important step, but I would rather abolish the gun boards and level the field for all Michigan residents. It's total BS that some people have to wait a year to get a permit.

........As a matter of fact, it BS that we need a permission slip at all.

Barbara
11-12-2004, 10:20 PM
The SOS issue is being "saved" for next election, I think. It should come up in the next year. Right now, a lot of documentation is being done on other states, so any opposition can be reputed.

The bill will be a tough sell, though. A lot of powerful groups, like the prosecutors, will be opposed.

This current bill is an improvement..the first real improvement (without corresponding loss if its passed as is) since PA381.

There were two other bills considered in committee yesterday. One would allow the DNR to discuss new hunting opportunities (they aren't allowed to now.)

The final one involved the definition of a black powder gun but was referred to the DNR to make a decision, as it seems it may not need to be done via legislation.

MI redneck
11-13-2004, 03:11 AM
Please excuse the ignorant..er..eh.."uninformed" question.

But whats the big deal with "gun boards"? Do they have the power to deny a CPL?

When I went before the "board" (branch county, 2003) there were about 10 "applicants" present along with the sheriff,DA and a MSP Lt.

I was as nervous as i've ever been :?

The Sheriff pretty much said, "This is just a formallity, You all know why your here, and have met the training requirements and background checks, unless theres any questions, we'll be issuing your permits".

The clerk called your name, laminated the permit and smiled and said " thank You" :shock:

I left with mixed emotions, knowing I had a God given right to defend Myself and family. 8)
But had to ask pemission and jump through hoops to do so leagally :evil:

Are the "gun boards" worse in other counties?

karcent
11-13-2004, 07:37 AM
The problem with gun boards is that some of them have chosen to operate at a much slower pace than others. It can take up to a year to get an application processed in Wayne County and as long as 6 months for a renewal while other counties can get it done in 30-90 days.
Some gun boards are also requiring notarized letters of reference, doctors letters, and other nonsense not required by the law.
The intent of PA381 was to level the playing field and make it fair for all Michigan residents.
We aren't there yet.

WhoIsJohnGalt
11-13-2004, 09:38 AM

The latest I've heard, Kurt, is that Terry Lynn Land wants to put this issue on the back-burner until her re-election gets nearer.
I imagine that she wants to use this as an election issue, and I guess she wants to make sure that Secretary of State's office is ready for it?
I'm sure there will be resistance from some of the gun boards.
I believe that SOS issue is an inevitability since it makes perfect sense, but then again we are dealing with the government so.......?

I know SAFR and GLSSA are on it.

I guess I'm an optimist? :?

DDWW
11-15-2004, 04:44 PM
GLSSA was sent a list of comments and solutions from legislative staff that came up after the committee meeting. Still concerns over the fingerprinting and it has been suggested that the State Police keep finger prints on file to use for renewal instead of having new ones done. Time frame to hold would be 5 years to cover the renewal time. This could help in getting the SoS to at least do renewals as they are not set up for fingerprinting. Another suggestion is to extend the 30 days to 45 days to bring the counties on board. We are meeting with some folks in Lansing this week to see what we can do.

Again all legislation is compromise, think about the first CCW law.

Rod
GLSSA.org