PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a thing as an ultra reliable BioMetric safe?

kensho
09-23-2010, 07:06 PM
I am looking for a biometric safe for the bedroom.

This would be a secondary safe in the home - exclusively for a single pistol and extra mag, backup LED light.

I'd like a biometric safe but it I haven't read about any being ultra reliable. I like the idea of a biometric safe that I (or wife) would not have to punch in a combination under stress.

Thoughts?

Jackam
11-03-2010, 06:52 PM
When I was at the SHOT show lasy year in Vegas, I spent almost an hour with one of these safes. The Rep showed me how to program it for my fingerprint and I also did my employee's print. We must have asked seventy people to finger the pads to see if we could get it to open. NOPE!
I don't remember the name brand but it was VERY expensive (wholesale).
I will go through my handouts and see if i can come up with a name for you.
It REALLY was a nice, secure and reliable little safe!

Jack

kensho
11-03-2010, 06:53 PM
Thanks

USAntigoon
11-04-2010, 07:28 PM
I have the Barska Biometric safe and it seems to do a good job (so far) .. I do wipe the reading pad with lens cleaner using a Q-tip.
I also have my "reservations" about this technology...
For my pistol I use a keypad safe (for the time being).. The Barska I use for the Ammo and other documents.. Both are in my bedroom as well..

usmcsgt
04-20-2011, 01:48 PM
I don't personally own biometric. Mileage will vary, but a couple things come to mind. First and foremost, the Myth Busters Episode dealing with them. I know it's TV, and not everything is shown...but it still brings doubt to my mind. The second thing is what happens when my wife hears a noise and jumps out of a hot shower or from sitting in a hot bath for a while after being all "pruney" and her fingerprints aren't the same? Maybe it still works, I dunno. But having any doubt at all is enough for me to not feel safe. And I don't want the nagging thought in my head that it won't work when she needs it. I've also talked to people through CCW fingerprinting that have had their fingerprints change over time, enough to not recognize the same print. Usually this is from working with solvents or labor intensive hand work. No its not an overnight transformation - but if you do get biometric be sure and use it more than once every great while to ensure operation is up to par.

dmo8361
04-20-2011, 01:52 PM
I don't think anything electronic belongs in the same sentance as the term ultra-reliable.

Buzzcat
04-20-2011, 03:34 PM
I don't think anything electronic belongs in the same sentance as the term ultra-reliable.

+1000

Murphy's Law prevails here.

Daniels
04-20-2011, 03:40 PM

Or anything mechanical.

GPintheMitten
04-20-2011, 03:43 PM
Or anything mechanical.

Like a gun?

ranttrmike
04-20-2011, 06:35 PM
Wow, what a co-ink-y-dink, as I was looking through Overstock.com today I saw one there.

It was $89.00, and had a bunch of reviews, nothing but positive things written about it.

Daniels
04-20-2011, 07:18 PM
Like a gun?
Yep, they are not always fail proof. Just saying, nothing with moving parts and so on can be 100% reliable. 99% but nothing is 100%.

SpaceOddity
04-20-2011, 07:20 PM
I haven't had much luck.

Seems like my finger prints change over time. Also very sensitive to the angle and pressure. I think that's why some of them can save several fingerprints, just try to make it memorize every possible pressure and angle you might use.

JediJJJ
04-24-2011, 09:00 AM
Ok, I went to overstock.com to look for the safe mentioned by ranttrmike. I found it and the secret see-it-in-your-cart price was $89. I browsed aroond a few minites looking for somthing else I might need and when I got back to the cart is was $195. Have been trying over the past couple of days and it keeps comig up $195. I thought about getting one to try out and to display at class aspart of the storage section. If anyone is able to get it to come up for the $89 please let me know how you do it. We are unpaid instructors so I try not to spend more than possible.

Thanx

JJJ

ranttrmike
04-25-2011, 05:14 AM
Clear your browser cache. It sounds like you have a stuck cookie.

In Internet Explorer go to tools and delete history, delete ALL of it (there are checkboxes).

If that doesn't work, call Overstock.

JediJJJ
04-25-2011, 10:53 AM
I already tried all of that. Even tried different computers which I rarely access and got the same thing. Was just wondering if anyone else had themagic topuch.

I guess I'll have to give them a call.

Thanx

JJJ

Billetproof
04-25-2011, 12:35 PM
These are cool for a bedroom;
http://www.stealthvault.com/

Biometric and push button.:thumbup:

jasonalun
04-25-2011, 12:42 PM
I have the Barska Biometric safe and I LOVE it. Works every time. The only times I've had it "burp" on my print was when I was being very sloppy about putting my finger into the scanner. I knew it was probably not going to work even as I did it because my finger was cocked to the side slightly or too far down the glass or something like that. It isn't hard (for me at least) to remember what position I have to put my finger in to get it to read. And I only have a couple prints in- one thumb, and the index finger on each hand. It accepts up to 30 prints so if I really wanted to be sure I could save my index in all sorts of positions and I'm sure it would read reliably every time no matter how "lazy" I was scanning my finger. I don't know if I can recommend it as a "guaranteed" solution for everyone (I know some people who reviewed it reported trouble with their fingers) but it sure works great for me. I can get to my gun in 5 seconds or less with it, if I'm standing within five feet of it. I keep it in our bedroom closet on a shelf, one step from my bed.

JediJJJ
04-26-2011, 08:02 PM
Well, just contacted Overstock. They said they had no record of that price. When I sent them the link to this thread they said they were not affiliated with this site so could not honor the price. Missed the whole point entirely. Guess I don't really need to purchase anything there. Never have and now never will.

jasonalun
04-26-2011, 10:35 PM
Well, just contacted Overstock. They said they had no record of that price. When I sent them the link to this thread they said they were not affiliated with this site so could not honor the price. Missed the whole point entirely. Guess I don't really need to purchase anything there. Never have and now never will.

I bought mine on Amazon for $186, I believe. It dropped briefly after that to $170-something, but I don't know if it is still that cheap.

Heywood Jablomy
06-09-2011, 04:55 PM
I own two Grizzly Vaults which are biometric.

Since both recognize and retain 130 authorized users, I've entered my own prints on two fingers 10 times each and the vaults never fail to open.

The mini-vault is in my bedroom bolted down to a night stand. I open it every nite before going to bed, just in case. Takes 1 second.

The other gets carried in my truck and motorcycles and both work very well.

eBay has the best deals on them, but I bought mine from a vault company (on-line) in case of any problems.

Both come with key over rides and low battery indicators. The mini vault in the bedroom runs on AC also.

Don't think I'd get them wet, tho.

joelansing
08-03-2011, 06:05 PM
Biometric safes are reliable if they have good batteries in them, and your fingers aren't dirty, and the reader pad is clean, and you don't cut your finger, and you reprogram your fingerprint every so often because they do change over time. We use hundreds of fingerprint readers at the bank I work at. The false rate is very low, it's the accepted rate that can be a problem.

Personally I'll take the cheap ones you can program with a series of 5 buttons. Just 11151 is a good enough combo, and fast access. They are only good for keeping kids away, and honest people honest. A criminal will steal the entire safe if they have a bit of time. I had one of these: http://www.amazon.com/HOMAK-HS10036685-Electronic-Access-Pistol/dp/B00118ZKKK and it was fine for fast access and keeping kids out. It was stolen from my house when empty :) The battery pack rattling around in it must've made them think it was a prime target.
- Joe

Remixed79
03-29-2013, 02:09 AM
So I work part time as a sales manager for a fingerprint safe dealer and I have played with nearly every fingerprint safe available on the market.

You can break the fingerprint safes into those that are designed for storage and to keep them out of the hands of children (usually under $500) and then there are those that are build solid with heavy duty construction and often fire-resistance and available in larger sizes (usually $800-$1500). Here's my personal feedback on some of most popular models:

GunVault

Okay, I would use a GunVault safe to keep under a night stand, under a bed, on a closet shelf, etc. The price point is low (most models in the $200-$300 range), but the construction is a bit thin usually at 16 gauge and does not offer much in terms of theft resistance. Overall, I found the biometric scanner to be decently reliable; however, sometimes it will miss read the first scan. We had some complaints back in 2010, but it seems that GunVault has improved the scanner.

Pros

1) Price
2) Mainly small sizes doesn't hold larger firearms
3) Reliable Scanner, but has had some issues in the past - hopefully being improved
4) Perfect size for 1 or 2 small firearms
5) Notebook size models like the MVB500 are awesome for traveling.
6) Most units hold 15 fingerprints.
7) Some units have a built in light that illuminates when open

Cons:

1) Some spring loaded doors had jamming problems (GVB1000, GVB2000). This seems to be getting better in 2013 with few complaints anymore
2) Minimal theft deterrance
3) Lightweight design
4) No locking bolts on most models

Barska

So Barska only use to offer a few small units, the AX11620 amongst a few others. In mid 2012 they increased their catalog and now offer quite a few smaller units (AX11650, AX11646, AX11648, etc). They utilize a different lock than most of the other smaller manufacturers, but I find this lock to be reliable 99% of the time. I actually really like Barska for the price point and personally bought this for my own home use. Most units are made of 16 gauge steel, but they feel much heavier and most have locking bolts bringing them into the 20-40 lb. category per safe. The smaller units are great for small firearms; however, the did release a biometric rifle safe (AX11652) which is one of the only long gun safes available on the market.

They come with a backup key as well as a little jump starter which looks like a positive/negative cable which you attached to a 9V battery. To use the 'jump starter' as I call it, you just hold the positive/negative to 2 very small nodes on the bottom of the lock for about 30 seconds. This gives you enough juice to open the lock once and get back to changing those batteries! :) Alternatively, you can use the free keys that are often discreetly hidden behind the company logo on the safe. P.S. It has a low battery alert, so when the battery is low it will make a distinct sound letting you know beforehad.

Overall review, great units with very few customer complaints and very few returns to our store. Again, these are some of the models used in the AvidBiometrics.com (http://www.avidbiometrics.com/Biometric-Safes-c3/) office and I ended up buying a few for my house.

Pros:

1) Price
2) CA DOJ Approved!
3) Ultra reliable fingerprint scanner
4) Most units hold up to 30 fingerprints
5) Solid steel locking bolts
5) Great battery life. (Expect up to 6-9 months of power on AA batteries)
6) Easy to anchor
7) Silent function disables the audible 'beep

Cons
1) Still lacking theft deterrance, but any safe under 100 lbs. is
2) Not that many large units available
3) No interior lighting available
4) Known for cheap packaging complaints and minor damage during transit Make sure your safe is scratch/dent free when it arrives.

Protex

Protex is a lesser known name brand of security safes, but I have worked with them and visited their warehouse in the San Fernando Valley area regularly and they are a great company of nice people with strong products. As I mentioned, the lock on the Protex fingerprint safes seems identical to those factory installed on Barska. I can't confirm if it is the 'exact' same lock, but I'll bet it is.

So Protex mainly offered the 'HZ' series with 3 or 4 smaller models, but the cool thing about the Protex fingerprint safes is that they can often install the bio-lock on most of the other HD series units which gives you larger units. For example, the HD-150 is the bad boy of the Protex line and can store guns up to 57" in length.

Many of the units offer 30-minute fire-restance as well as have removable shelves. Most units feature velvet lined interior whereas most safe manufacturers use foam.

You can gain some better theft resistance with this brand as even the smallest unit - HZ-34 (which I also own) weighs over 50lbs. The larger HD-100, HD-120, and HD-150 weigh nearly 500 lbs and all can be anchored down.

You can't really go wrong with the Protex line. They're awesome units; however, they are lacking brand recognition.

Pros

1) Ultra reliable biometric lock (Identical to the Barska lock)
2) Most units hold up to 30 fingerprints
3) Many models feature adjustable shelving and interior LED lighting
4) Solid steel locking bolts
5) Solid doors (Most doors are 2.5" thick)
6) Very long battery life (again 9-12 months
7) Heavy construction & weight = theft resistance.
8) Many units have fire-resistance

Cons

1) No small sizes currently available (HZ-34 is the smallest at 13x14x12
2) Often high freight / shipping costs

Amsec

Amsec (American Security) is a fairly well known brand in the security safe industry and they make very nice units. The down side is that 'very nice' often comes with a hefty price tag. I will say, you're making an investment with any safe, so don't be afraid of the price. You'll likely be buying it for life.

So Amsec, currently does not offer that many biometric models; however, the secret is that they will often do a custom install of the bio-lock on most of their electronic lock safes. Most models offer theft resistance as well as fire-resistance and extremely heavy weight. The models are gorgeous and have refined hardware, but again, you're going to drop 1-1.5k to enter the market.

I've been playing the the Amsec models for a while now and they have changed out their biometric lock. They use to use what I think was an Amsec branded model, but I believe if you custom order one now they are installed with the Sargent & Greenfield biometric lock which is great; however, pricey. The switch the S&G lock caused the price of the safes to go up about 20% for most dealers.

So overall, if you want a heavyweight in your corner, then check out these models. Again, it never hurts to ask your dealer about adding the bio-lock to other units. Be warned, if you order a custom unit, make sure it is factory installed by Amsec and not retrofitted with a cheap Asian knockoff. Last I checked, Amsec won't honor the warranty if the lock isn't stalled by the factory or certified.

Pros

1) Ultra reliable fingerprint scanner
2) Up to 2-hours of fire resistance
3) Theft deterrance in the massive weight of these bad boys
4) Most biometric scanners hold up to 30 fingerprints
5) Solid construction: (Most have steel plates and inner defense barrier)

Cons

1) Price
2) Shipping Costs (plan on paying for white-glove delivery around $250)
3) Long manufacturing times (Custom biometric units take 2-6 weeks)

Overall, I'll repeat myself when I say you get what you pay for. Although all of these brands are warrantied, I get the satisfaction of having a heavier solid unit. I'm happy to review any other models as well.

Chris
AvidBiometrics.com (http://www.avidbiometrics.com/Biometric-Safes-c3/)

elwarpo
03-29-2013, 10:07 AM
Biometric is good if done properly. Also have a backup method of opening it. I have one and it works well. The issue I have is in a panic situation my wife will not remember a combination or series of buttons to push. The key is practice, every once in a while I randomly say that it is an alert and she has to go to the safe and pull the gun. It has always worked (wall charger with battery back-up). The key is to have it remember all fingers, just in case you have a bandaid on 1 or 2 from a burn (happened to me). Unfortunately this an older safe I picked up in Canada, and I have been looking for a second one for a couple of years now but have not found one.

drober30
04-07-2013, 08:08 PM
I have the Barska Biometric safe and I LOVE it. Works every time. The only times I've had it "burp" on my print was when I was being very sloppy about putting my finger into the scanner. I knew it was probably not going to work even as I did it because my finger was cocked to the side slightly or too far down the glass or something like that. It isn't hard (for me at least) to remember what position I have to put my finger in to get it to read. And I only have a couple prints in- one thumb, and the index finger on each hand. It accepts up to 30 prints so if I really wanted to be sure I could save my index in all sorts of positions and I'm sure it would read reliably every time no matter how "lazy" I was scanning my finger. I don't know if I can recommend it as a "guaranteed" solution for everyone (I know some people who reviewed it reported trouble with their fingers) but it sure works great for me. I can get to my gun in 5 seconds or less with it, if I'm standing within five feet of it. I keep it in our bedroom closet on a shelf, one step from my bed.

+1 I have two Barska biometric safes too and my experience is the same as stated above.