PDA

View Full Version : Several questions!

TylerPearce
09-25-2010, 05:45 PM
1. What is a good, inexpensive, entry level gun belt for use at the range/occasional OC?
2. I am overwhelmed with all the different styles of leather holsters out there, but would really like one. Also, I have a fobus for my p89 and like that. What kind of holster would YOU buy for a range holster for a Glock 27? (brand and specific model... might also occasionally OC)
3. I have been looking at buying a 1911 for some time, but don't necessarily have a TON of money to spend on one. so, What would be a good, entry level 1911 for a first time owner that won't set me back $1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000?

cmike
09-25-2010, 06:13 PM
Budget?

michigan_rkba
09-25-2010, 07:49 PM
1. What style of belt are you considering? Some of those "tactical" belts would be suitable and inexpensive, but you may prefer leather. The 1.5" belts from Wilson Combat are ready to ship, non-custom pieces so far as I know, and I've been pleased with the ones I bought from them, except that they are a very snug fit on the belt loops on most of my suits. Otherwise, there are literally tons of custom shops, large and small, that can set you up with something that should meet your needs.

2. Do you need retention? If not, Galco Concealable or their Belt Side are easy to find at the gun shops and hold up reasonably well to regular use with lighter guns; they become soft and sloppy faster than I'd prefer with a heavier gun like a Gov't Model. They do have a fair bit of angle to them, which you may or may not prefer.

3. What do you want to do with it? Shoot ball at the range? Attach whiz-bang accessories to it? Use it as the basis for something else later? If you're just looking for a simple non-nonsense 1911, the off-brand guns should do you fine and cost very little - AutoOrd, FederalOrd, RIA, Norinco, etc.. For a few bucks more, Springfield MilSpec can be had for a fair price on the used market. From there, used Colt 1991, Springfield Loaded, Kimber Custom/Custom II are good choices in the $600 +/- range.

TylerPearce
09-26-2010, 12:13 PM
A simple leather belt that isn't soft and saggy would be good, the less expensive without sacrificing TOO much quality would be perfect.

As for holsters, I want one for my glock 27, and one for my taurus m-85. I am considering a Serpa for the Glock, but am very interested in a galco OWB holster for it. I Kind of want a thumb break for the glock and an open top for the taurus.

As for 1911, Just a simple, no- nonsense one would be good. I am not looking to spend more than 600.

marlinbullseye
09-27-2010, 10:00 PM
for leather I would check out don hume, nice stuff for not a lot of $, they will have a style that you will like, I have one of their IWB for my 1911 and is awesome. for an inexpensive 1911 I would get one of these, http://www.cruffler.com/JLD.html I have one and have shot it for 20 years, Shot a barrel out in about 3 or 4 years, had a springfield match barrel and bushing fitted by a gunsmith and trigger job, also has micro rear adjustable target sights. It will shoot with some $$$ custom guns, everyone that shoots it loves it, still is tight after me shooting 10,000+ rounds through it in club competitions and performed up with some expensive guns.

reggie64
10-06-2010, 01:57 PM
1. What is a good, inexpensive, entry level gun belt for use at the range/occasional OC?
2. I am overwhelmed with all the different styles of leather holsters out there, but would really like one. Also, I have a fobus for my p89 and like that. What kind of holster would YOU buy for a range holster for a Glock 27? (brand and specific model... might also occasionally OC)
3. I have been looking at buying a 1911 for some time, but don't necessarily have a TON of money to spend on one. so, What would be a good, entry level 1911 for a first time owner that won't set me back $1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000?

You may want to look into getting an instructors belt. you can get them for $25-$50 depending on who you get them from. you can get them from cabelas, galco, etc A good leather gun belt is going to cost you quite a bit and you can expect to pay $60-$100 for a good gun belt

I have a Galco Concealed Carry Paddle and it was about $120. http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPT3.asp?ProductID=111&CatalogID=5 I really like the holster, but the gun rides a little high with my new gun for competition. If your looking for a cheap one for the range, fobus, blackhawk. these will set you back between 30-50 bucks. if your looking for something a little nicer, bladetech, safariland and others offer quite a few options for the $50+

It really comes down to your budget. Rock River Arsenal, high standard makes some entry level 1911's that will run you 400-500 bucks. Tauras makes some as well but i have heard mixed reviews on their reliability. Remington is coming out with a 1911 rumored to be around the $600 range. you can find decent used kimbers, some springfields and some colts for $600-800 price range depending on options. smith and wessen also make 1911's that wont break the bank. With 1911's its more of question of what you want in one and what you can afford. if you buy a "cheap" base model to save some $$ but want to add a bunch of upgrades chances are it is going to cost you the same as if you bought one that had all the options you wanted in the first place.

TylerPearce
10-06-2010, 03:16 PM
thanks for the help guys.