PDA

View Full Version : Gun Rights Group Needs Your Help!!

Will-IB-Ready
09-27-2010, 08:49 AM
Ok gang, here's a chance to put legs on your beliefs and help out Students for Concealed Carry on Campus.

As many of you may know, Senate Bill 747 will remove college classrooms and dorms from the list of pistol free zones in Michigan.

SCCC Michigan is organizing a letter-writing campaign to support SB 747 from today, September 27th to October 1st. The goal of the campaign is to show Senators how many people really do support SCCC and SB 747. In addition to the 6 active campuses in Michigan, all of the major 2nd Amendment groups in the state - including MI Open Carry, SAFR, MCRGO - will be participating in the campaign as well. I ask that you do the same, if possible. Together, we can send hundreds of emails to the desk of each involved Senator. State Representatives, who represent roughly 1/4 as many constituents as State Senators, have told me that as few as 30 emails will cause them to take serious notice of where their constituents stand.

Please check out our SB 747 page at http://concealedcampus.org/stateinfo.php?sid=76&fd=pl&name=Michigan; this contains all the information you'll need on the bill, including contact information for each Senator. It's most important to contact the bill's sponsor, Randy Richardville, and the Republican Senators of the Judicial committee, (only Republicans provide direct email address, allowing you to quickly send an email to each senator.) Why? These are the Senators that need to be convinced that they should call a vote on the bill; most of the Democrats didn't even bother to show up to the bill's hearing. As I mentioned, the Republicans are easier to contact and will give you more bang for your time.

The ideal email will be addressed to the Senator by name, mention at least one reason for supporting SB 747, and mention SCCC as well.

Please spread the word to all of your like-minded friends and associates. As I've mentioned, you can direct your friends to http://concealedcampus.org/stateinfo.php?sid=76&fd=pl&name=Michigan, where they'll find all of the information on both the bill and our campaign. A successful campaign will go a long way towards establishing SCCC's credibility in this and future legislative sessions, which will make it easier for us to support SB 747 and any subsequent campus carry bills.

Please consider participating. If you have any questions, let me know. As always, thank you for your support.

Here are direct links to the emails you need:

Sen. Randy Richardville - senrichardville@senate.michigan.gov

Sen. Wayne Kuipers (Chair - R) senwkuipers@senate.michigan.gov

Sen. Alan Cropsey (Vice Chair - R) senacropsey@senate.michigan.gov

Sen. Alan Sanborn (R) senasanborn@senate.michigan.gov

Sen. Bruce Patterson (R) senbpatterson@senate.michigan.gov

Sen. Tony Stamas (R) Click Here (http://www.senate.michigan.gov/ima_form.asp?name=COMMENTS36&form_path=e:/webforms/rep)

And then it would be great if you would send a similar email to YOUR state senator as well. Find your Senator HERE (http://www.senate.michigan.gov/findyoursenator/michiganfys.asp)

If you need any help at all you can find some arguments to support our position on the page I linked to, or you can contact me.
Thanks again for being willing to help!

:salute:

Tom Fineis
09-27-2010, 08:59 AM
Sent.

Good work, Will I B Ready.

Will-IB-Ready
09-27-2010, 09:05 AM
No problem Tom Fineis. :wink:

JCisHe
09-27-2010, 09:15 AM
I'll do this but the links in the body of the post lead to nowhere and I'd really like to review some of the arguments.

Could you please address that?

Tom Fineis
09-27-2010, 10:16 AM
No problem Tom Fineis. :wink:

I don't throw people's real names around online unless I know they're cool with it. Just trying to save you from the black helicopters is all....

:D

Will-IB-Ready
09-27-2010, 10:34 AM
I'll do this but the links in the body of the post lead to nowhere and I'd really like to review some of the arguments.

Could you please address that?
Sorry JC, but all links work and have since posting. Must be something on your end. But it's an easy fix. Just go to the link in my sig line, the address is concealedcampus.com, and then go to State by State, click on Michigan, and click pending legislation.

Here it is again:

http://concealedcampus.org/stateinfo.php?sid=76&fd=pl&name=Michigan

Good luck!

Toledo Kid
09-27-2010, 10:48 AM
:thumbup:

Phelptwan
09-28-2010, 10:46 AM
Sent emails to them all from my WMICH.edu email account.

Will-IB-Ready
09-28-2010, 03:52 PM
Sent emails to them all from my WMICH.edu email account.
Great job!

Keep it up guys, it only takes a minute to be a part of the solution... :flag:

hopeitsfast
09-28-2010, 03:59 PM
I sent out a email to the folks you listed along with Gary Peters, but he's a tool.

ETA: Senator Jacobs also.

Dansjeep2000
09-28-2010, 05:02 PM
Done.

Phelptwan
09-29-2010, 09:03 AM
Got this response, none of the others have been anything but form letters.

Dear Mr. Phelptwan:

Thank you for contacting my office about this important legislation.

I was pleased to see strong support for this legislation at the initial Senate hearing and while I was disappointed that we were unable to vote the bill out that day due to the number of absent members, I know it is only a matter of time before the Judiciary Committee and the full Senate pass this bill with my strong support. While we may not be able to change the minds of those who equate the actions of criminals with guns to the actions of responsible, law-abiding firearms owners for the sake of their political arguments, I think this type of legislation can remind people that educated firearm owners can help make our communities, including college campuses, safer.

Again, I thank you for taking the time to e-mail me and please do not hesitate to contact my office if I can ever be of assistance.

Sincerely,
Alan Sanborn
State Senator
11th District

ABS/kdk

Will-IB-Ready
09-29-2010, 09:05 AM
Got this response, none of the others have been anything but form letters.
Excellent!

OX SMASH!!
09-29-2010, 08:12 PM
sent one to all of em

Will-IB-Ready
09-30-2010, 06:42 AM
Keep it up guys, only two days left!

My advice is to type up what you want to say in Microsoft Word (or whatever you use), it doesn't need to be long. Something like this:

Senator Blank,

I wanted to write and let you know that I support S.B. 747, and Students for Concealed Carry on Campus because I feel Blank.

Sincerely,
Blank
Location, Michigan

And then, just copy and paste it into each email, being sure to put each senator's name in. It's really easy and takes about 5 minutes total. :thumbup:

Will-IB-Ready
09-30-2010, 07:21 AM
One other thing that might help in your emails is the fact that just this week, a man walked onto the University of Texas campus at Austin with an AK-47 and started firing it in the library. And there wasn't a single law abiding citizen in there that would have been able to stop him if he decided to start killing.

Will-IB-Ready
10-04-2010, 07:26 PM
I finally got a decent reply, only to see that it's the same as above:

Dear Chris,

I was pleased to see strong support for this legislation at the initial
Senate hearing earlier this year and while I was disappointed that we
were unable to vote the bill out that day due to the number of absent
members, I know it is only a matter of time before the Judiciary
Committee and the full Senate pass this bill with my strong support.
While we may not be able to change the minds of those who equate the
actions of criminals with guns to the actions of responsible,
law-abiding firearms owners for the sake of their political arguments, I
think this type of legislation can remind people that educated firearm
owners can help make our communities, including college campuses,
safer.

Again, I thank you for taking the time to e-mail me and please do not
hesitate to contact my office if I can ever be of assistance.

Sincerely,
Alan Sanborn
State Senator
11th District

:thup: :flag:

hopeitsfast
10-04-2010, 07:40 PM
I finally got a decent reply, only to see that it's the same as above:

Dear Chris,

I was pleased to see strong support for this legislation at the initial
Senate hearing earlier this year and while I was disappointed that we
were unable to vote the bill out that day due to the number of absent
members, I know it is only a matter of time before the Judiciary
Committee and the full Senate pass this bill with my strong support.
While we may not be able to change the minds of those who equate the
actions of criminals with guns to the actions of responsible,
law-abiding firearms owners for the sake of their political arguments, I
think this type of legislation can remind people that educated firearm
owners can help make our communities, including college campuses,
safer.

Again, I thank you for taking the time to e-mail me and please do not
hesitate to contact my office if I can ever be of assistance.

Sincerely,
Alan Sanborn
State Senator
11th District

:thup: :flag:
FWIW, this is the same response i got.

ETA: It's also the only response i got.

OX SMASH!!
10-08-2010, 01:38 PM
any info on when this bill will be voted on?

Will-IB-Ready
10-08-2010, 02:11 PM
any info on when this bill will be voted on?
Hopefully the email blast last week will encourage the committee to call it to a vote. I'll keep you posted on any developments.

PhotoTom
10-08-2010, 02:16 PM
Thread moved to new dedicated forum :)

- Admin

hopeitsfast
10-08-2010, 02:17 PM
That's cool. Good job guys.:clap:

jeepinrrt
10-08-2010, 04:40 PM
:thumbup:

Will-IB-Ready
10-08-2010, 07:29 PM
Thanks a lot Tom! :thup:

LeoBound
03-23-2011, 11:36 PM
Good Evening:

I am writing this in as a concerned student from South East, Michigan. I attend Oakland Community College, and hold a Degree in Criminal Justice and am in my final two classes for a Degree in Homeland Security.

Last semester I had the honor being instructed in "School Safety and Homeland Security" by the greatest instructor I have ever known, Fire Chief Ken VanSparrentak of Walled Lake. Our greatest debate in the classroom was based on whether or not students should be allowed to carry concealed weapons of any kind while on campus, firearms being the main object of discussion. Over-all we were able to come up with some very interesting statistics. I will list a few that you may not or may not have knowledge of.

- There has been a total of 323 students killed during school shootings in the United States during the past 15 years. Every one of which could have been avoided had firearms been presently carried by trained students and/or staff. A potential shooter is less apt to place themselves in a situation where they can be targeted or stopped easily without being able to complete their mission.

- Schools are in fact, the most easily accessed target for an active shooter and hold hundreds, if not thousands of potential targets making it high risk for a mass casualty incident. We learned on September 1st, 2004 in Russia; a town known as Beslan, would open the eyes of the world as we became aware that terrorist organizations will do what it takes to promote their message and propaganda by hitting the population where it hurts the most: our children. Although this occurred in Russia and not the United States, it has been discovered that Al-Qaeda had obtained blueprints and layouts of American schools in Michigan, Florida, Texas, and other states. Should our schools be potentially filled with students who carry concealed firearms, some or most of these potential terrorist hazards could potentially be dismissed as easy targets.

- Through researching nearly 350 actual and potential active shooter situations over the last 15 years, none of them were attempted by individuals who had a license to carry a concealed firearm.

- At the same time (of the previous fact), there have been several incidences upon which an active shooter was dispatched by an individual legally licensed to carry a firearm. October 1st, 1997 - Luke Woodham slit his mother's throat, and proceeding to Pearl High School where he opened fire with a 30-30 repeating rifle killing two students, and injuring seven others. He was attempting to leave the scene when Vice Principal Joel Myrick ran to his truck, removed his Colt .45 from the glove box and placed it point blank into Woodham's face who surrendered. Had Myrick's pistol been on him at the time the shootings started, two children could still be alive today; however, the law in Mississippi made it illegal for the Vice Principal to carry it on campus. Instead, precious time was wasted in retrieving his firearm, time which could have saved lives.

In reality, if it were you, or your child sitting in the front row of class when the shooter makes his or her way into the room, and lines up the sights; I imagine a prayer will befall the lips of those in the class before the first shot rings and a life is lost. Would it not be comforting to hear that shot, let the brief moment of uncertainty pass, and open your eyes to see the shooter laying dead on the floor, shot by a fellow classmate standing in the back of the room holding his previously concealed weapon? Or would you rather there be no hidden protectors? No more life; life that could have continued had only it been legal for you or your classmates to carry a concealed weapon if they wished.

As you can tell, I am in full support of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus. I hope you can come to share the same views as myself, and thousands of others across our great state feel.

Regards,
Thomas Hamilton
Milford, Michigan
CRJ/HLS - OCC Auburn Hills Campus
Summa Cum-Laude

mallard1123
09-21-2014, 10:02 AM
good luck