PDA

View Full Version : Dummy round question

G22
11-29-2004, 03:16 PM
OK, so I have a .40cal round I retreved from a block of oak which fits back into its original brass. (slightly deformed FMJ)

I would like to have an unfired "dummy" round to compare it to.

Q. Can I pull an unfired bullet from the brass, discard the powder, and load & fire the primer without the bullet? Then replace the bullet in its original brass making it a "dummy" round?

Is this a stupid way to do this?
Thanks (i've used my stupid question for the day) :P

M1911A1
11-29-2004, 04:42 PM
It's certainly the hard way. Look into the dummy rounds they have at The Firing Line. They hang them right up by the counter, and they cost about $6.50 for six or 12 for $12. The casings are chrome and the "bullet" and "primer" are orange plastic. If you wanted to make a dummy cartridge it is best to be able to distinguish it from a live round at a glance. That blaze orange on the training rounds is unmistakable.

Ed Hoffman
11-29-2004, 07:46 PM
If I reloaded .40's, I'd make one for you without a primer. Maybe someone on the board can make one up for you if that's what you're looking for.

mkls0
11-29-2004, 08:17 PM
If I reloaded .40's, I'd make one for you without a primer. Maybe someone on the board can make one up for you if that's what you're looking for.

I can do that for you let me know

alex-vitek
11-30-2004, 06:10 AM
I would like to have an unfired "dummy" round to compare it to.

G22,

I am not sure what you want to compare. But, if you show up at the last Bowling Pin Match for the year (Dec 12th) I am pretty sure we can set you up with something in very short order.

G22
11-30-2004, 09:54 AM

Yes please 8)
Ill be at the Firing Line for the fun shoot

I am not sure what you want to compare. But, if you show up at the last Bowling Pin Match for the year (Dec 12th) I am pretty sure we can set you up with something in very short order.

I'll be there. I've had a lot of things going this year so I've missed many pin shoots. I just want before and after "not live" rounds for comparison reasons. I'm looking at bullet deformity (FMJ) when shot into different objects (oak, pine, phonebook and such) and would like physical examples of these. I'll retreve the deformed ones but was unsure about the safest way to get a non fired one without buying anything.

Thanks everyone

mkls0
11-30-2004, 12:47 PM

Yes please 8)
Ill be at the Firing Line for the fun shoot

I'll be there. I've had a lot of things going this year so I've missed many pin shoots. I just want before and after "not live" rounds for comparison reasons. I'm looking at bullet deformity (FMJ) when shot into different objects (oak, pine, phonebook and such) and would like physical examples of these. I'll retreve the deformed ones but was unsure about the safest way to get a non fired one without buying anything.

Thanks everyone

ok 1 ,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 or ?

G22
11-30-2004, 01:24 PM
ok 1 ,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 or ?

1 will be fine :D
Thanks Sarge