PDA

View Full Version : Undercover Trooper Revolver?

Matt.Mendehall
09-28-2010, 06:34 PM
Anyone heard of it? Know the maker? Own one and like it?

Thanks,
Matt

.44Smith&Wesson
09-28-2010, 07:03 PM
Never heard of it.
Colt trooper maybe? don't think I've seen a barrel shorter than 3" on em' though.

Chorkie
09-28-2010, 07:41 PM
Charter Arms made an Undercover and Colt made a Trooper. Possibly someone has their descriptions mixed up.

Trooper1
12-13-2010, 11:51 AM
S&W made a blued air weight with a stainless steel cylinder for the MSP. If you see that combination it was once owned by the MSP. There are still some of them around. You can probably pick up a decent one for $250.00

Super Trucker
12-13-2010, 04:54 PM
S&W made a blued air weight with a stainless steel cylinder for the MSP. If you see that combination it was once owned by the MSP. There are still some of them around. You can probably pick up a decent one for $250.00

What caliber is the one you just described?

I heard a story in a gun shop last year about a special run of air weight 9mm revolvers made for the MSP, the guy said they were used when the troopers had 9mm sidearms.

.44Smith&Wesson
12-13-2010, 08:40 PM

I heard a story in a gun shop last year about a special run of air weight 9mm revolvers made for the MSP, the guy said they were used when the troopers had 9mm sidearms.

The only airweight 9mm S&W I've ever heard of was a prototype "942" which was a 642 frame (hammerless) with a stainless steel cylinder chambered for 9mm. Don't think they ever made it to production though.

Super Trucker
12-13-2010, 11:13 PM
The only air weight 9mm S&W I've ever heard of was a prototype "942" which was a 642 frame (hammerless) with a stainless steel cylinder chambered for 9mm. Don't think they ever made it to production though.

I had never heard of one until this guy swore they were out there. I asked if he was thinking of the model 940 and he said that the ones he was describing were air weights not steel.
The guy was a customer in the gun store so I have no idea if he was full of **** or if there really were such a gun available, that is why I was asking.

.44Smith&Wesson
12-14-2010, 12:39 AM
It is definatly a possibility, I think they did do various different airweight frame, steel/ti cyl combos in limited numbers for a few different depts.
I'll tell you this, I would really like the "942" setup if it were a production model.

Make mine a 7 shot, L centennial round butt frame, moon clip fed, hi-viz front post, and 4'' barrel, 22 oz. in .357/ 9mm. :freak:

JGrant
12-14-2010, 10:18 AM
Back to the OP, Colt did make a few 2 1/2" troopers and cobras. I think they were mostly 38spcl. But I have come across a few 2 1/2" lawman/trooper .357s (no where as rare as a 2 1/2" Python). Mostly Dept. guns.

I'd love to get one, but people think they're worth Python money. :-?

Dabears!
12-20-2010, 05:22 PM
I had never heard of one until this guy swore they were out there. I asked if he was thinking of the model 940 and he said that the ones he was describing were air weights not steel.
The guy was a customer in the gun store so I have no idea if he was full of **** or if there really were such a gun available, that is why I was asking.

the shop i work at I had someone telling me they SWORE glock made a glock 7
all ceramic gun.

do you have any idea how hard it is to keep a straight face while talking to an idiot who has watched die hard too many times

Trooper1
12-27-2010, 12:40 PM

================
The one made for the MSP in that configuration was a .38. For a short time 9mm five shot S&Ws were issued to some Troopers but not all and these were all stainless I believe.

The .38 air-weights with the stainless steel cylinders were produced specifically for the Michigan State Police and were not marketed commercially. They could only be purchased used.

j_nosfarato
12-27-2010, 01:35 PM
the shop i work at I had someone telling me they SWORE glock made a glock 7
all ceramic gun.

do you have any idea how hard it is to keep a straight face while talking to an idiot who has watched die hard too many times

THEY DID!! I had a Glock 6, which was the early version of the 7. It was terra cotta and didn't hold up as well as the 7. :poke:

Super Trucker
12-27-2010, 03:37 PM
================
The one made for the MSP in that configuration was a .38. For a short time 9mm five shot S&Ws were issued to some Troopers but not all and these were all stainless I believe.

The .38 air-weights with the stainless steel cylinders were produced specifically for the Michigan State Police and were not marketed commercially. They could only be purchased used.

Thank you.
My memory is the same as yours, that the 9mm revolvers issued for a while were all steel.

Unfortunate because I would have loved to find one of those revolvers that guy in the store was describing (even a used one).

Stinger4me
03-07-2011, 08:39 PM
S&W made Mod. 38 Bodyguard revolvers with SS cylinders chambered in .38 special and the MSP did carry them in the pocket holster of uniform trousers. They were built for Michigan Police Supply. Troopers shot those guns and after a bit of time the alloy frames showed the wear. They are nice guns and handy to have, draw from a pocket holster very nicely. The two tone versions are not as rare as some think.