PDA

View Full Version : Lou Chiodo Returns for 2-05 Advanced Training Clinic!

Live Safe Academy
12-03-2004, 12:30 PM
LOU CHIODO RETURNS FOR 2-05 ADVANCED TRAINING CLINIC!

Live Safe Academy, LLC, in conjunction with the Great Lakes Self-Defense Association Corporate Sponsor Program, is proud to announce the return of LOUIS M. CHIODO for the sixth Advanced Training Clinic (LSA TC, February 2005) organized by Ian Kinder. This event will consist of two separate one-day training sessions featuring Lou's “COMBAT SHOOTING METHODS” program for handguns using AirSoft technology. This new workshop has never been offered in the State of Michigan and is equally valuable to the new CPL holder or law enforcement officer as it is to experienced shooters. Whether you've trained with Lou several times or never before, this is a unique opportunity to learn skills that cannot be simulated with live fire (and without the expense of ammunition).

All details will be posted on our website soon. Until then, you can obtain all necessary information, including registration information and forms, by e-mail (pre-registration is mandatory). When requesting information, please include “LSA TC, 2-05” in the subject line.

Please note that, if you are not a member of the Great Lakes Self-Defense Association (GLSDA), you will receive a 1-year free membership as a gift from Live Safe Academy, LLC for your participation in the LSA TC, February 2005. To accept your free membership, simply go to www.glsda.org and print, complete and enclose your membership application with your LSA TC, February 2005 registration or complete an application when you check in for your training program.

We hope to see you soon! If you have any questions, or if we can be of any additional service, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Stay Safe!

Best Wishes,
Ian & Paula
Live Safe Academy, LLC

>

LIVE SAFE ACADEMY, LLC
www.livesafeacademy.com
LiveSafe@juno.com

Tallbear
12-03-2004, 01:02 PM
Now that's what I call training. Thanks Ian

I encourge everyone that can, to take advantage of this class and be sure to register early. These classes fill up fast.

G22
12-03-2004, 01:41 PM
e-mail sent

Live Safe Academy
01-02-2005, 05:25 PM
Hey Guys,

This is just a quick heads up, there are very few spots left in this workshop. If you have never trained with Lou Chiodo of GUNFIGHTERS, Ltd., or if it's been awhile, this is an opportunity that you do not want to miss. It's also a great opportunity to train with AirSoft technology. AirSoft training guns cannot replace live fire training but you can develop a broad range of essential, lifesaving combat skills with AirSoft that are impossible to develop with live ammunition, skills that are absolutely crucial to successful gun fighting. If you do not own an AirSoft trainer, we can rent you one for a nominal fee.

If you would like to participate, contact me directly and I’ll be glad to help… and don’t worry about your skill level. As long as you’re safe, both new and experienced shooters alike will learn a great deal in a comfortable, thought-provoking and supportive environment. Lou has an amazing amount of no-nonsense, real-world experience, which he shares openly with every student.

Stay Safe!

Best Wishes,
Ian Kinder
Live Safe Academy, LLC

>

LIVE SAFE ACADEMY, LLC
www.livesafeacademy.com
LiveSafe@juno.com

Fiddler
02-06-2005, 10:37 AM
Marty and I attended this class yesterday. It was a truly amazing experience. There's no way one can really do the class justice by writing up a synopsis in a post, but I'd like to share some of the highlights.

We started out in the classroom with a discussion of tactics and the physiology of a life threatening situation, followed by range work with the airsoft guns. Lou talked about how the technics we were learning had been proven successful in battle, and how many of the principles of marksmanship and fundamentals of shooting go out the window during a gun fight. Lou also emphasized the value of airsoft guns in training, because they are a safe and economical way to work on many of the tactics we learned, and you can even practice at home. There were 16 students in class, and I would guess at least a third of them were law enforcement, and at least 1 was a LEO trainer. Everyone in class was very good, and Lou is one of the best.

The first thing they did is tape up the sights for those who have not had Lou's class before for what Lou calls target focused shooting. That was the first time I did any shooting without the sights, and it was quite a learning experience. We started out at 3 yards and worked our way out to 10, and everyone was hitting center of mass. Of course, since we were not focusing on our sights, we were able to shoot with both eyes open, which meant we had a better field of vision. It was pretty incredible.

We worked without the sights for the entire day on everything from shooting on the move to shooting from different angles, all with the ultimate goal of deploying your handgun in a 360 degree defensive umbrella. Having a good, strong fighting platform and a good draw from the holster were essential to success, and I was very glad to have had a great deal of excellent tactical training prior to the class. We even got to work on shooting with the target behind us as part of the 360 degree defensive umbrella, which is much easier to work on and maintain a safe environment while using airsoft guns.

For the last part of the class, Lou suited up, and we got to shoot at him with the airsoft guns. (It's hard to shoot at such a nice guy, but we all did it). Lou discussed how some people freeze up when it comes to shooting at a real person, even in training with airsoft guns, but we all passed the test. We got to shoot him while we were on the move, while he was on the move (let's face it, the bad guys are not going to stand still while we're shooting at them), while being charged with a knife, and while having a gun drawn on us. This was a rare opportunity to practice responding to a life threatening encounter and shooting at a real "bad guy," as opposed to a paper target, as well as being good practice focusing on the attacker and not the weapon. Everyone has a natural tendency to fixate on the knife or gun, but to survive the encounter, we had to focus on Lou the moment we identified the weapon. We also worked on moving, drawing and shooting as he advanced on us. Even knowing what a good guy Lou is, simulation of the life threatening encounters was enough to get my heart pumping, thus allowing me to practice reacting under stress.

The class was an incredible experience, and it left me wanting to go back for more. As I understand it, Lou teaches for Live Safe Academy 2 -3 times per year, and this is the only non LEO/ civilian training Lou offers. This is an incredible opportunity, and I hightly recommend everyone who wants to improve on their defensive shooting skills make it a priority to take this class.

Thanks to the folks at MJC Archery, who were very gracious hosts, and to Ian for setting this up!

Wesley w/Glock
02-07-2005, 04:14 PM
I thought about taking the class but I knew I had a lot of critical work to accomplish at home as the ice is beginning to melt in the back of my property.

I have taken Lou's classes before which included AirSoft training. I have now incorporated this training into my home training by filling a 50 gallon plastic trash bag with shredded newspaper and suspending the bag in the basement from the joists. I can then start the bag swinging and shoot at a moving target while I am on the move. Most of the BBs penetrate the bag so there is little to clean up off the floor.

I particularly like Lou's no frills training. He concentrates on gross motor skills only and stresses the critical concept of how necessary it is to be able to shoot on the move at least at a standing target but better to train on moving targets.

I think that new defensive shooters should be taught his indexing technique. This is not advanced stuff. What Lou says makes sense. There is no time to take a sight picture before you shoot, even front sighting. By the simple definition of defensive shooting you are already facing a lethal threat and therefore a full step behind in the power curve. You MUST instantly begin moving and just as instantly get some lead traveling towards and into the threat. All that is required is combat accuracy which is easy for one to attain after suitable drilling using indexing. As Karen noted, everybody in the class gets their combat accuracy.

Lou is retiring from the California Highway Patrol this year and tells me he is going to set up a residence in Michigan where he will be able to devote more time to his training business.

Batman
02-07-2005, 09:24 PM
Lou is retiring from the California Highway Patrol this year and tells me he is going to set up a residence in Michigan where he will be able to devote more time to his training business.

Wow, that is good news Wess!

I too have been to his classes and all that is said is correct. Great program that leaves you wanting more. Sorry I couldn't make it Ian, but there will be other times I'm sure.