PDA

View Full Version : Getting a 1911

TylerPearce
10-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Question, should I get a springfield G.I., which is very basic, or a metro arms american classic II, which is a loaded 1911. They are the same price, and the metro comes with 3 mags and 3 sets of grips. Are they both reliable? Are they both accurate? Somebody make up my mind before I buy them both!

RECON762WT
10-01-2010, 10:22 AM
Don't buy either...get a glock, Sig, or M&P

pkuptruck
10-01-2010, 10:41 AM
DUH.....:roll: LOL....

lets see... the springer POS model... or the metro with all the bells and whistles?

Hmmmmm........ yugo ( springer) or Porche ( Metro) ? .....

is this really a question????? :cheers:

c21re217
10-01-2010, 10:44 AM
Well I think price would come into play. I love my colt 1911. Never had a more comfortable gun and the prices keep going up.

Big_Jim
10-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Question, should I get a springfield G.I., which is very basic, or a metro arms american classic II, which is a loaded 1911. They are the same price, and the metro comes with 3 mags and 3 sets of grips. Are they both reliable? Are they both accurate? Somebody make up my mind before I buy them both!

In that price range get a Glock or M&P. If you want to go $800+ your options really open up. Don't buy a cheap 1911, you won't be satisfied.

pkuptruck
10-01-2010, 10:52 AM
In that price range get a Glock or M&P. If you want to go $800+ your options really open up. Don't buy a cheap 1911, you won't be satisfied.

i agree.. so get the metro... :multi:

TylerPearce
10-01-2010, 10:52 AM
I had a glock, and didn't care for it. I am more of a metal framed gun kind of guy. I want a 1911, but don't have tons of money, as I am only 18, and have a low paying job as usual.

Big_Jim
10-01-2010, 10:56 AM
I had a glock, and didn't care for it. I am more of a metal framed gun kind of guy. I want a 1911, but don't have tons of money, as I am only 18, and have a low paying job as usual.

Then go for the Beretta 92fs. (I see you were looking for one).

If you really want the 1911, go for the SA mil-spec. They're good guns that you can build on later. I don't have any experience with the Metro, aren't they a Firestorm/Bersa product?

Or look for a used SA Loaded. I bought mine a few years ago for $599.

pkuptruck
10-01-2010, 10:59 AM
Then go for the Beretta 92fs. (I see you were looking for one).

If you really want the 1911, go for the SA mil-spec. They're good guns that you can build on later. I don't have any experience with the Metro, aren't they a Firestorm/Bersa product?

Or look for a used SA Loaded.
nope.

and they are more solid steel than the cast Springer...

He already said he didnt have the cabbage for a LOADED.....
besides... the loaded is WAY different than than the Mil-spec....

One is made to work... the other isnt...LOL...

TylerPearce
10-01-2010, 11:02 AM
nope.

So you are saying Metro then? Have you had one?

CyborgWarrior
10-01-2010, 11:03 AM

lets see... the springer POS model... or the metro with all the bells and whistles?

More like the choice between a stock Porsche (SA) or a loaded Yugo (metro)

Get the Springfield. Best warranty and customer service in the firearms business.

Big_Jim
10-01-2010, 11:04 AM
nope.

OK, I'll have to look up the Metro and see what it's all about. I have the milspec, the loaded and the Beretta. Of the 3 the Beretta is by far my favorite.

pkuptruck
10-01-2010, 11:05 AM
More like the choice between a stock Porsche (SA) or a loaded Yugo (metro)

Get the Springfield. Best warranty and customer service in the firearms business.

yep. and with the mil-spec... you'll need it.... alot....:hide:

TylerPearce
10-01-2010, 11:07 AM
It is the G.I., not the milspec. I thought I understood there was a difference?

CyborgWarrior
10-01-2010, 11:09 AM
nope.

You got it backwards The Springfield Armory slide, frame, and barrel are forged steel.

TylerPearce
10-01-2010, 11:09 AM
also, the springfield has a stainless steel, match grade barrel installed.

Big_Jim
10-01-2010, 11:13 AM
http://www.chuckhawks.com/metro_arms_american_classic.htm

Here is a commonly referred to write up on the Metro 1911. It sounds good on paper, for $400 new it would be worth a shot.

Me: I'd still go with the Springfield or the Beretta

pkuptruck
10-01-2010, 11:17 AM
You got it backwards The Springfield Armory slide, frame, and barrel are forged steel.

must be something new... most of the imbel ( brazil) guns are cast....

also..
"There have been sporadic reports of slides cracking or breaking, but this seems to be a matter of poor heat-treating rather than one of materials...resulting in the slides being either too soft, or too hard, which makes'em brittle. As long as they're properly hardened and drawn, I'd put the
quality of the steel as equal to or a bit better than Colt's, and the rails are
more carefully machined to boot.

Springfield has been comin' on pretty strong in the last two or three years. Their overall quality has been steadily improving as they strive to knock Colt out of the running for the 1911 market...and they seem to be succeeding.
Both the Mil-Spec models...Standard and GI...have been selling hard and heavy in this area, with the Loaded Model following a fairly distant second...
and there have been very few complaints. What issues there have been have usually been a matter of simple adjustments or fine-tuning here and there, or the odd broken small part...but only rarely any major problems. "
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=136889

not saying their bad....

but the kids has a small amount of money... and want the best bang for his buck...

the Metro is that BANG... not the parked mil-spec...

TylerPearce
10-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the help guys. You gave me a lot to think about. I will let you know what I get when I get it.

CyborgWarrior
10-01-2010, 11:26 AM
but the kids has a small amount of money... and want the best bang for his buck...

Exactly. Lifetime warranty from a proven manufacturer vs unkown service from a Phillipino upstart.

As far as your reference, it is a 5 year old thread from the THEHIGHROAD.

Big_Jim
10-01-2010, 11:36 AM
must be something new... most of the imbel ( brazil) guns are cast....

also..
"There have been sporadic reports of slides cracking or breaking, but this seems to be a matter of poor heat-treating rather than one of materials...resulting in the slides being either too soft, or too hard, which makes'em brittle. As long as they're properly hardened and drawn, I'd put the
quality of the steel as equal to or a bit better than Colt's, and the rails are
more carefully machined to boot.

Springfield has been comin' on pretty strong in the last two or three years. Their overall quality has been steadily improving as they strive to knock Colt out of the running for the 1911 market...and they seem to be succeeding.
Both the Mil-Spec models...Standard and GI...have been selling hard and heavy in this area, with the Loaded Model following a fairly distant second...
and there have been very few complaints. What issues there have been have usually been a matter of simple adjustments or fine-tuning here and there, or the odd broken small part...but only rarely any major problems. "
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=136889

not saying their bad....

Just checking but do you have actual experience with these guns that have been mentioned or are you just going by internet reports? And by actual experience, I mean, You own them and have put a couple thousand rounds through them. Not "I shot my friends gun once".

pkuptruck
10-01-2010, 11:40 AM
Just checking but do you have actual experience with these guns that have been mentioned or are you just going by internet reports? And by actual experience, I mean, You own them and have put a couple thousand rounds through them. Not "I shot my friends gun once".

never give an internet report... unlike others...if i aint used one, I dont say nothing.....:lipseal:

had a mil-spec and a GI.. both were well built...bottom of the barrel guns..
but for the price... no reason to get one.... ( the TRP and such are FINE guns... in many ways... but not the "entry level" versions from springer..IMHO)

The metros are nice for the price... a major step ( again..imho) up from the Mil-spec or GI Springer... and loaded with a ton of stuff as well...

I have a few other versions of the 1911 as well... a few Custom, a few original, and a few odd-balls....

Big_Jim
10-01-2010, 11:50 AM
never give an internet report... unlike others...if i aint used one, I dont say nothing.....:lipseal:

had a mil-spec and a GI.. both were well built...bottom of the barrel guns..
but for the price... no reason to get one.... ( the TRP and such are FINE guns... in many ways... but not the "entry level" versions from springer..IMHO)

The metros are nice for the price... a major step ( again..imho) up from the Mil-spec or GI Springer... and loaded with a ton of stuff as well...

I have a few other versions of the 1911 as well... a few Custom, a few original, and a few odd-balls....

Good deal. I've had good luck with my SA's, Kimbers and Colt's but for that price range I'll stick with Berettas and Glocks, in the $1000+ range a 1911 is a joy to shoot. It's always good to hear from someone with real experience, too many internet gun experts spout off what they've read with no real experience.

pkuptruck
10-01-2010, 11:55 AM
Good deal. I've had good luck with my SA's, Kimbers and Colt's but for that price range I'll stick with Berettas and Glocks, in the $1000+ range a 1911 is a joy to shoot. It's always good to hear from someone with real experience, too many internet gun experts spout off what they've read with no real experience.

:thumbup:

TylerPearce
10-01-2010, 02:21 PM
Thanks again for your opinions. It looks like it is just a personal preference.

RevDerb
10-01-2010, 04:35 PM
Have you given any thought to the new Remington? http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=2423 I haven't shot it, but my LGS has one for $585 (IIRC) and it sure looks to me like the way to go for a 1911. It may be my next purchase. :hide:

TylerPearce
10-01-2010, 07:38 PM
I cannot buy new... or used from a dealer... so I am stuck with whatever I find used from an individual. i cannot buy from a ffl until I am 21...

CrimDoc
10-01-2010, 07:47 PM
I don't know much about the two firearms you asked about.

However, I can tell you that I own a Taurus PT1911.

Paid just over $500 for it.

It's as accurate as a Dan Wesson Marksman 1911 owned by a friend of mine (a $1300 pistol). I've also put about 1,000 rounds through it without a single failure.

Great gun.

TylerPearce
10-01-2010, 07:49 PM
If I could find one on the market, I would take a look.

v.navarre
10-01-2010, 08:20 PM
I purchased a Para 1911 GI Expert and short of the plastic trigger I loved this gun stock very reliable and shoots just as well as any Colt (yes I have shot plenty of them regularly). I have been doing upgrades slowly but surely (I dont have a $1000 just sitting around) but even at that point there is still stuff I would change. So look at it as a great base to do your upgrades (you dont buy a 10 sec car off the lot you buy it then build it) Just my 2 cents.

CrimDoc
10-01-2010, 08:23 PM
There's one at Silver Bullet firearms in the used gun case (or at least there was on Tuesday) ... $425, I believe.

XDM 40 cal
10-01-2010, 08:51 PM
I have to say my GI 1911 is fine for the price i paid...

100% WWII 7+1 45acp... The are a few thing i will change in the near future..

RevDerb
10-01-2010, 09:05 PM
I cannot buy new... or used from a dealer... so I am stuck with whatever I find used from an individual. i cannot buy from a ffl until I am 21...
Oops! I forgot about that, Tyler. Sorry.

rabbivj
10-01-2010, 09:38 PM
I don't know much about the two firearms you asked about.

However, I can tell you that I own a Taurus PT1911.

Paid just over $500 for it.

It's as accurate as a Dan Wesson Marksman 1911 owned by a friend of mine (a $1300 pistol). I've also put about 1,000 rounds through it without a single failure.

Great gun.

+1 i have the same gun, only issue was i had was with the hammer, took it to Marriane Carniak, dropped a new wilson combat hammer in it and havent had any issuse since.

CrimDoc
10-01-2010, 09:46 PM
Ah, I didn't notice that you're under 21. Sorry ... but I STILL very much like the PT1911.

Oops! I forgot about that, Tyler. Sorry.

CrimDoc
10-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Out of curiosity, what issue did you have with the hammer? So far, I haven't had any issues (knock on wood).

+1 i have the same gun, only issue was i had was with the hammer, took it to Marriane Carniak, dropped a new wilson combat hammer in it and havent had any issuse since.

lotusexige
10-02-2010, 01:40 PM
x1000 for Springfield. Dont go with the Metro JUNK. my first handgun was a springfield GI45 and I love the gun. Only downfall is its hard to be accurate with it. At least for me. Its heavy but it shoots that huge .45 slug. you wont be dissatisfied with the GI. im sure after you buy it youll be looking for more handguns because its addictive. later on buy yourself a springfield loaded. thats what im going to do.

TylerPearce
10-02-2010, 09:19 PM
x1000 for Springfield. Dont go with the Metro JUNK. my first handgun was a springfield GI45 and I love the gun. Only downfall is its hard to be accurate with it. At least for me. Its heavy but it shoots that huge .45 slug. you wont be dissatisfied with the GI. im sure after you buy it youll be looking for more handguns because its addictive. later on buy yourself a springfield loaded. thats what im going to do.

I know it's addictive. This will be my fourth handgun.

CyborgWarrior
10-03-2010, 07:56 AM
http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showpost.php?p=1015616&postcount=1

http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq15/deadite_photos/guns%20with%20new%20camera/DSCN1357.jpg

CyborgWarrior
10-03-2010, 08:03 AM
recently my SA Micro started banging the frame hard.
I sent an email to SA about it.
Received an new recoil spring assembly fedex FOC two days later.

And that gun was bought used:crazy:

pkuptruck
10-03-2010, 09:45 AM
recently my SA Micro started banging the frame hard.
I sent an email to SA about it.
Received an new recoil spring assembly fedex FOC two days later.

And that gun was bought used:crazy:

great! nice pistol. but it aint a mil-spec.... :sad:

x1000 for Springfield. Dont go with the Metro JUNK. my first handgun was a springfield GI45 and I love the gun. Only downfall is its hard to be accurate with it. At least for me. Its heavy but it shoots that huge .45 slug. you wont be dissatisfied with the GI.

So, how do you like your Metro? Oh wait.... you PROBABLY never even seen one... :wink: Just read the "internets" ..... or maybe the more common..." I had a friend, who knew a guy, that had a friend, whos' brother knew this guy that read that the metroArms 1911s are junk.."

lol..

TylerPearce
10-03-2010, 11:30 AM
http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showpost.php?p=1015616&postcount=1

http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq15/deadite_photos/guns%20with%20new%20camera/DSCN1357.jpg

This is the one I was looking at. So pretty much, this thread just gave me a couple people who have radically different views about the two companies. I appreciate all the help, but now I am even more confused on which to buy. I will let you guys know.

XDM 40 cal
10-03-2010, 12:42 PM
This is the one I was looking at. So pretty much, this thread just gave me a couple people who have radically different views about the two companies. I appreciate all the help, but now I am even more confused on which to buy. I will let you guys know.

I know it can be, If you have the time you might ask a 1911 gunsmith..
http://www.carniakcustom.com/index.html

marianne@carniakcustom.com

She one of the best, and can give you the truth on all 1911's ..

Best of luck on your hunt...

TylerPearce
10-03-2010, 03:59 PM

I took your advice and asked. I hope she takes the time to help! I'm torn between the two.

AMSProcessing
10-03-2010, 09:39 PM
Springfield has a great reputation - and I've worked with them from a customer service and dealer perspective. I do not know anything about the Metro. That being said, I'd go with the GI for two reasons:

1. It's a great base-model 1911, with a company that backs it up.

2. It's a BASE model 1911 for a small investment. What a great platform to start making the customizations that YOU want. I've done it myself - started with a Para GI Expert and have done enough work to it that to make it a custom 1911 (one of the joys of owning a 1911).

just my .00125 (.02 after what Obamassiah did to the economy)

TylerPearce
10-03-2010, 10:11 PM
Springfield has a great reputation - and I've worked with them from a customer service and dealer perspective. I do not know anything about the Metro. That being said, I'd go with the GI for two reasons:

1. It's a great base-model 1911, with a company that backs it up.

2. It's a BASE model 1911 for a small investment. What a great platform to start making the customizations that YOU want. I've done it myself - started with a Para GI Expert and have done enough work to it that to make it a custom 1911 (one of the joys of owning a 1911).

just my .00125 (.02 after what Obamassiah did to the economy)

I think that most of the upgrades that I would want would need to be done by a smith... That being said, I don't have a huge amount of money to bring to a smith. I want the extended beavertail because I hold very high on grips, I want a skelotonized longer trigger, and I want a skelotonized hammer just because I like how it looks =]. haha.

pkuptruck
10-04-2010, 03:55 AM

AMEN to that! She is a near-wizard with a 1911... :pip: :rambo:

TylerPearce
10-05-2010, 02:51 PM
I have decided to go with the metro, and if the guy with the springfield still has it when I have free time again (got a new job with horrible hours) I will buy that too!

XDM 40 cal
10-05-2010, 04:54 PM
I have decided to go with the metro, and if the guy with the springfield still has it when I have free time again (got a new job with horrible hours) I will buy that too!

OK, sounds good...

Post pics...ASAP!

TylerPearce
10-05-2010, 05:00 PM
http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=106359

Until I can get pictures of my own up.

XDM 40 cal
11-15-2010, 06:14 AM
So any up dates?

How did it shoot?

Billetproof
11-15-2010, 05:24 PM

Or is it a basic model F150 (Springer) vs a loaded Kia (Metro)?:idea:

11-19-2010, 05:19 PM
Don't buy either...get a glock, Sig, or M&P

Nay, real men don't want plastic.

1911 in a heartbeat. I've got a 70 Series Colt & a Rock Island. Phillipino shoots better than the Colt.

hashelocmaccabee
11-22-2010, 06:13 PM
I was interested in the GI and Milspec Springfield but everyone I found was made in Brazil. I worked with a guy earlier this year who had a stainless (Think it was the Milspec) that was made here in the US. does anyone know when they made them here or if they started making them here again? I like the thought of paying $500 for a US made 1911.

TylerPearce
11-22-2010, 06:55 PM
ohh, I forgot about this post. It shot great. It was very accurate, and I had no ftf's or fte's. I was using wwb and federal fmj's I think. Either way, shortly after buying it, I got out of the pistol thing, and ended up trading it away. It was good, just nothing special that I couldn't live without. I have no need for more pistols until I get my cpl. Still several years away...

XDM 40 cal
11-22-2010, 08:41 PM
I was interested in the GI and Mil spec Springfield but everyone I found was made in Brazil. I worked with a guy earlier this year who had a stainless (Think it was the Mil spec) that was made here in the US. does anyone know when they made them here or if they started making them here again? I like the thought of paying $500 for a US made 1911.

There made south of the border, but there listed as a US company...

The higher end guns that come from the custom shop are US made except for the frame's there still Brazilian made... witch is fine as Springfield 1911 are the only one's that can handle the .460 upgrade...
I have a GI upgrade to custom GI... And its a great gun to shoot..

pkuptruck
11-23-2010, 04:10 AM
There made south of the border, but there listed as a US company...

The higher end guns that come from the custom shop are US made except for the frame's there still Brazilian made... witch is fine as Springfield 1911 are the only one's that can handle the .460 upgrade...
I have a GI upgrade to custom GI... And its a great gun to shoot..

really? :shock:

the 460 can be done to virtually ANY 1911.... as long as the frame is in spec.... and preferably, if it isnt an early type casting.....(this is true for any caliber 1911...not just 460..)

the conversion is MAINLY the slide/barrel/recoil spring... the receiver (frame) when DONE PROPERLY, doesnt even know the difference....

XDM 40 cal
11-23-2010, 05:45 AM
really? :shock:

the 460 can be done to virtually ANY 1911.... as long as the frame is in spec.... and preferably, if it isnt an early type casting.....(this is true for any caliber 1911...not just 460..)

the conversion is MAINLY the slide/barrel/recoil spring... the receiver (frame) when DONE PROPERLY, doesnt even know the difference....

Yes, that is warranty by springfield... I havent seen any one do this...
as i seen you have done a few mods to a 1911, i take it you know alittle more about this mod...

Q:What 1911 pistols do you consider the best platform for the 460 Rowland Kit?A: The best candidates for this kit are STEEL FRAME single stack Springfield Armory(including current production GI & Mil-Spec models), Sig Sauer, Colt, Smith & Wesson, Para Ordnance, Kimber, Norinco, Dan Wesson and 1911 style 45 ACP semi-auto pistols. We prefer and recommend Blued guns over Stainless.
CC:http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/rowland.htm

pkuptruck
11-23-2010, 06:12 AM
Yes, that is warranty by springfield... I havent seen any one do this...
as i seen you have done a few mods to a 1911, i take it you know alittle more about this mod...

Q:What 1911 pistols do you consider the best platform for the 460 Rowland Kit?A: The best candidates for this kit are STEEL FRAME single stack Springfield Armory(including current production GI & Mil-Spec models), Sig Sauer, Colt, Smith & Wesson, Para Ordnance, Kimber, Norinco, Dan Wesson and 1911 style 45 ACP semi-auto pistols. We prefer and recommend Blued guns over Stainless.
CC:http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/rowland.htm

dont get me wrong...not being a Smartazz....just practical....

they do this, because some YAHOO will take a crappy, POS and try to make it do something it cannot.... :tsk:

Yep. I have done a number of customs, and customizations... from the 9mm, to the 45 super.... not all of them recommended....:cuss: but when done carefully, and done right.... perfectly safe and a butt-load of fun! :banana:

But agai... I have SEEN folks take a stock 1911 45acp... and without ANY mods,
run some HOT loaded 45 supers thru it..... then, they complain to the original gunmaker, on
how shoddy their weapons are, cuz the frame is cracked, peined or what have you.... :banghead:

Silly people do silly things.... LOL..

XDM 40 cal
11-23-2010, 12:49 PM
dont get me wrong...not being a Smartazz....just practical....

they do this, because some YAHOO will take a crappy, POS and try to make it do something it cannot.... :tsk:

Yep. I have done a number of customs, and customizations... from the 9mm, to the 45 super.... not all of them recommended....:cuss: but when done carefully, and done right.... perfectly safe and a butt-load of fun! :banana:

But agai... I have SEEN folks take a stock 1911 45acp... and without ANY mods,
run some HOT loaded 45 supers Thur it..... then, they complain to the original gun maker, on
how shoddy their weapons are, cuz the frame is cracked, peined or what have you.... :banghead:

Silly people do silly things.... LOL.. what some will do to the handguns...:silly:

I still would love to shoot a 1911 modded to 50cal...