PDA

View Full Version : MGO IDPA Squad!

Fiddler
12-07-2004, 09:24 PM
I would like to put together an MGO IDPA squad. I know some of us already shoot IDPA, and others have talked about trying it. IDPA is a lot of fun, and a great way to sharpen your skills in the event you are in a self defense situation. An MGO IDPA squad would be a great opportunity for some of us to participate together and get our name out there as well. We could even get team t-shirts! Members of the MGO IDPA squad need to be members of MGO. What do you all think? Who's in?

mkls0
12-07-2004, 09:35 PM
OK im in :badass:

Fiddler
12-07-2004, 09:55 PM
That's great! Thanks, Mike! It'll be great fun! So, who else is in?

Toxie
12-07-2004, 10:09 PM
I would love to try, but my schedule is screwy. Let me know what the schedule would be like.

Fiddler
12-07-2004, 10:18 PM
Thanks, Toxie. The matches are usually on Saturdays, and if we sign up early, we will have a better choice of time slots. During the winter months, there are fewer matches, but Tri-County in Saline usually runs matches all year. During the Spring, Summer and Fall, there are a multitude of matches to choose from in Saline, Livingston County, Linden, and Williamston, to name just a few.

It will probably take a little time to get an official squad in place, but as mitommy posted, there is a match at tri-county in Saline on Saturday Dec. 18, but the time slots are filling up fast.

paddy
12-08-2004, 05:43 AM
I took an introductory class but still haven't gone to a competition.
I'm interesetd but I do have to work every third or fourth weekend which could clash with some events.

G22
12-08-2004, 08:36 AM
This sounds good. Perhaps we could set up a carpool as these places (Saline, Livingston County, Linden, and Williamston) are quite a ways from some members.

I think karcent said they also do IDPA at Blue Water?

D.S.C. I believe is IPSC?

Team MGO, I like it!! :D

Fiddler
12-08-2004, 08:40 AM
I'm interesetd but I do have to work every third or fourth weekend which could clash with some events.

That's great! Thanks, Paddy. We will just have to be sure to include some events on the 1st and 2nd weekend of the month so you can participate! :pistols:

Fiddler
12-08-2004, 08:44 AM
This sounds good. Perhaps we could set up a carpool as these places (Saline, Livingston County, Linden, and Williamston) are quite a ways from some members.

That's great, Kevin! Carpools are a great idea. I have also heard Karcent mention the matches in Blue Water. I have not been there personally, but would certainly be willing to go! They're supposed to be pretty good. We can choose a variety of locations to be fair to the members, and that will get our name out in more places as well! Have team, will travel! :D

Fiddler
12-08-2004, 08:49 AM
So far we have the following.

Sarge
Toxie
Paddy
G22
fiddler

Who else is in?

paddy
12-08-2004, 09:53 AM

That's great! Thanks, Paddy. We will just have to be sure to include some events on the 1st and 2nd weekend of the month so you can participate! :pistols:

The "1st and 2nd weekend of the month" is not a given.
Right now I work one weekend and off the next three.
Soon that will change to work one weekend and off the next two.
I will make the events that my schedule doesn't conflict with.
Saturdays that I'm off are good, most Sundays that I'm off, I race my Miata (spring through fall)

mitommy
12-08-2004, 10:03 AM
I'd be in.
As you know I am a SO at the Tri-County matches so I'm committed to those dates (4th Saturday).

I'd also be happy to work with anyone that is new to IDPA as far as giving some pointers from a SO's perspective.

G22
12-08-2004, 10:33 AM
I'd also be happy to work with anyone that is new to IDPA as far as giving some pointers from a SO's perspective.

That would be me :)

Diverdave
12-08-2004, 11:44 AM
I too have only the introductory class but would love to do this.

mkls0
12-08-2004, 12:02 PM

That's great, Kevin! Carpools are a great idea. I have also heard Karcent mention the matches in Blue Water. I have not been there personally, but would certainly be willing to go! They're supposed to be pretty good. We can choose a variety of locations to be fair to the members, and that will get our name out in more places as well! Have team, will travel! :D

I got a van that can hall 7 :D

G22
12-08-2004, 12:29 PM

I got a pickup that can haul.....2 :(

M1911A1
12-08-2004, 05:08 PM
I'd be will to take my 8mm along and document the teams travels.

sprink
12-08-2004, 05:12 PM
Minumum caliber is 9mm Marty. :lol:

I'd like to participate if able.

M1911A1
12-08-2004, 05:30 PM
I've got to tell you tht 8mm I carry is a REAL canon! :lol:

http://www.mouthshut.com/imagesp/925019951s.gif

mitommy
12-08-2004, 05:32 PM

tell em Marty "8, 9, 10 what ever it takes"

Unless you mean that Sony 8mm

savedbydbelle
12-08-2004, 05:53 PM
I'd be interested. Let me know when and where!

Fiddler
12-08-2004, 06:12 PM

The "1st and 2nd weekend of the month" is not a given.
Right now I work one weekend and off the next three.
Soon that will change to work one weekend and off the next two.
I will make the events that my schedule doesn't conflict with.
Saturdays that I'm off are good, most Sundays that I'm off, I race my Miata (spring through fall)

Okay, Paddy. We'll work it out. I'll look forward to it!

Fiddler
12-08-2004, 06:16 PM
I'd be will to take my 8mm along and document the teams travels.

Your Springfield in 9mm would be better, but if you decide to bring the 8mm, maybe we can have some footage for the website.

Fiddler
12-08-2004, 06:17 PM

I agree on the 9mm!

That would be great if you could participate, Greg!

Fiddler
12-08-2004, 06:50 PM
I'd be in.

As you know I am a SO at the Tri-County matches so I'm committed to those dates (4th Saturday).

That would be me :)
I too have only the introductory class but would love to do this.

We'd love to have each of you! New shooters are more than welcome!
I just started competing last winter at Tri-County. Everyone at Tri-County is very helpful with new shooters, and it was nice to see Tommy there. It was great to see a friendly face, and he gave me some great pointers.

They have practice sessions in Linden if you guys want to practice running through some scenarios before shooting an actual match.

Fiddler
12-08-2004, 06:51 PM

Cool! Thanks, Sarge!

Fiddler
12-08-2004, 06:52 PM
I'd be interested. Let me know when and where!

That's great, Sandie! It's always fun shooting with you, and it will be nice to have another woman along!

Fiddler
12-08-2004, 07:02 PM
Paddy
G22
fiddler
mitommy
Diverdave
M1911A1
Sprink
savedbydbelle
flddler

This is going to be great! Who else is in?

So, does anyone want to shoot the Christmas match at Tri-County on December 18? The last I heard, there were some 2:30 slots open.

paddy
12-09-2004, 05:50 AM
So, does anyone want to shoot the Christmas match at Tri-County on December 18? The last I heard, there were some 2:30 slots open.

Sorry, have to work that weekend. :cry:

Fiddler
12-09-2004, 07:20 AM
Okay, hopefully we'll catch you next time, Paddy.

mitommy
12-09-2004, 09:48 AM
We have a Match at Tri-County on December 18th. (we shoot thru the winter, most clubs don't) There are a few openings in the 3pm group. see this post for details:

http://www.mgouc.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7676

Ktulu
12-09-2004, 10:12 AM
Linden Sportsman's Club (http://www.lindensportsmenclub.com/) hold's IDPA practices on Saturday mornings @ 9:00. It's a good place to get started in IDPA.

Red Sector A
12-09-2004, 06:59 PM
I have shot the IDPA at Saline and love it .. only got Classified last June and shot my first classified match in Sept... I'm hooked. I would love to be part of the MGO team.... I cant make it in Dec though.. sorry!

Fiddler
12-09-2004, 07:13 PM
We'd love to have you, whenever you can make it, Joel.

G22
12-13-2004, 10:19 AM
OK here's what I have...

Glock 27 (my everyday carry gun)
SideArmor IWB retention holster
5 10rd mags.
2 Mag pouches
Surefire flashlight (I won't have till christmas :wink: )(I assume there will be low light shooting?)

What else do I need, and/or any suggestions?

You want to use your carry gun right?
Or should I use my Glock 22 with a thumb break OWB holster and some kind of cover garment.

Fiddler
12-13-2004, 03:13 PM
The theory is that you should shoot with what you carry, since you are practicing responding to real life scenarios. With that goal in mind, in many scenarios, you are also required to have your pistol concealed, whether it be under your shirt or an actual cover garment. Beyond that, as long as your pistol fits in "the box," and doesn't have any fancy equipment, such as laser sights, you can shoot with whatever makes you most comfortable.

You need a holster, mag holder and 3 - 4 mags. It sounds like you are set for the G27, but if you have the equipment you need for the G22, the longer sight radius would probably give you a slight advantage over the 27 on the longer shots. (I believe the maximum distance for most scenarios is 15 yards).

I have never had to do any low light shooting for IDPA, but if anyone else has, please speak up. The matches I have competed in have been outside during the day, which obviously would not be conducive to low light shooting, although that would be great practice!

karcent
12-13-2004, 03:30 PM
If you want to be competitive, Kevin, go with the G22. Less felt recoil and longer sight radius should produce better times.
The people that win in SSP are usually shooting a G17 or G34.

G22
12-13-2004, 07:28 PM
Actually, their both my carry guns, the G27 just gets more holster time.

I need to get good with both, so every time I go do IDPA I'll switch off.
I'm curious how much difference there will be. :)

I have never had to do any low light shooting for IDPA, but if anyone else has, please speak up. The matches I have competed in have been outside during the day, which obviously would not be conducive to low light shooting, although that would be great practice!

I saw it on Sighting In with Sport Shooting USA on OLN. They went through a typical IDPA scenerio which included low light drills.

Fiddler
12-13-2004, 07:32 PM
Actually, their both my carry guns, the G27 just gets more holster time.

I need to get good with both, so every time I go do IDPA I'll switch off.
I'm curious how much difference there will be. :)

I saw it on Sighting In with Sport Shooting USA on OLN. They went through a typical IDPA scenerio which included low light drills.

That sounds like a good plan, Kevin.

I saw that special as well. It was pretty good. It probably depends on the time and facilities available. It would be cool if we could find a range that included the low light drills. The Fun League at The Firing Line includes low light drills, but that is not IDPA. With the exception of a few shoots, it is closer to PPC style than IDPA.

Is there anyone here who has shot the IDPA matches with low light scenarios?

mitommy
12-14-2004, 09:54 AM
What equipment you use depends on what you want to get from IDPA competition.

It can be practice for real life - although smoetimes the stages require you to do things that arn't tactically correct. In this case you will want to use the pisatols, holsters, and clothing that you would wear day to day.

OR

It you can play it as a game. In this case, as Karcent said, the Glock 17 or 34 are the pistols of choice. The holsters are kydex OWB, and the mag carriers are kydex also. Concealment, in warmer weather, is usually a vest - Royal Robbins is most popular.

Be sure that you understand that people that shoot for "real life practice" tend to score below the people that "play the game." I'm not sure how many real life situations would have multiple targets and require 3 mags and up to 18 rounds. On the other hand, we wouldn't get to many competitors if the whole match only required less than 20 rounds. An advantage of IDPA is that you get to practice drawing from a holster and engaging targets. Most ranges that I've been to don't allow that.

That said, I enjoy IDPA a lot. I also have tried IPSC and enjoy that as a similar form of "action shooting." IPSC has been described to me as - More rounds and less rules than IDPA. My suggestion is for people to come out and try it. Tell the Safety Officers that you are a new shooter and they will try to help you out. Ask for suggestions from Sos and other competitors, start out by focusing on drawing and engaging targets and safe gund handling. The speed and accuracy will come with practice.

banjobart
12-14-2004, 12:17 PM
Your squad is welcome at the Capitol City IDPA matches in Williamston. Shooters form their own squads at Capitol City, so just grab a clipboard and fill it with your squad's score sheets, then you shoot together. We will have matches once again on the last Saturday of every month from March-October in 2005 and shoot two times; at 9 AM and again at Noon. Thank you.

G22
12-14-2004, 12:34 PM
Thanks for all the great tips.

I think at first I'll be there for "real life practice". I don't really care what my scores are as long as I can see an improvement over time. Once I get comfortable in the sport, then I'll consider competition. I have no idea how long that may take. Hopefully I'm great right off the line!!! :P :lol:

The only problem I have is not wanting to drag down the team with my lower scores. If that's how it works?

paddy
12-14-2004, 04:53 PM
The only problem I have is not wanting to drag down the team with my lower scores. If that's how it works?

IMHO
My idea of this team is to have a bunch of nice people gather together to have fun. Embrace the camaraderie and friendships. Pat on the back for successes. Help and reassurance for the almost successes. If we can do this, and happen to be in last place, I don’t care. If we can do this and be in first place, so much the better. I have found that if you feel that you have to be in first place to have fun, you are not really having as much fun as you could.

Fiddler
12-14-2004, 06:56 PM
What equipment you use depends on what you want to get from IDPA competition.

It can be practice for real life - although smoetimes the stages require you to do things that arn't tactically correct. In this case you will want to use the pisatols, holsters, and clothing that you would wear day to day.

OR

It you can play it as a game. In this case, as Karcent said, the Glock 17 or 34 are the pistols of choice. The holsters are kydex OWB, and the mag carriers are kydex also. Concealment, in warmer weather, is usually a vest - Royal Robbins is most popular.

Be sure that you understand that people that shoot for "real life practice" tend to score below the people that "play the game." I'm not sure how many real life situations would have multiple targets and require 3 mags and up to 18 rounds. On the other hand, we wouldn't get to many competitors if the whole match only required less than 20 rounds. An advantage of IDPA is that you get to practice drawing from a holster and engaging targets. Most ranges that I've been to don't allow that.

That said, I enjoy IDPA a lot. I also have tried IPSC and enjoy that as a similar form of "action shooting." IPSC has been described to me as - More rounds and less rules than IDPA. My suggestion is for people to come out and try it. Tell the Safety Officers that you are a new shooter and they will try to help you out. Ask for suggestions from Sos and other competitors, start out by focusing on drawing and engaging targets and safe gund handling. The speed and accuracy will come with practice.

I couldn't agree more. Here is another point I would like to add. In my humble opinion, even though the scenarios may be more involved than we would normally have to deal with in a self defense situation, they do give us the opportunity to practice basic skills as well as responding to a variety of situations, and perhaps most importantly, shooting under stress. (Something I can certainly use more practice doing). Even though the stress is just the stress you put on yourself, (getting the shots, getting a good score, being timed, etc,) it is still stress, and the more we practice shooting in stressful situations, the more we can prepare mentally for a potentially life threatening encounter. No one really knows how they will respond in a self defense situation, but one thing we do know is that when the adrenalin starts pumping, we normally fall back on training and muscle memory, so the more we train under stress, the more prepared we will be.

That being said, it is very easy to get caught up in "the game," and I think we all want to score the best we can. Personally, I am usually happy as long as I know I have done my personal best.

Fiddler
12-14-2004, 07:00 PM
Thanks for all the great tips.

I think at first I'll be there for "real life practice". I don't really care what my scores are as long as I can see an improvement over time. Once I get comfortable in the sport, then I'll consider competition. I have no idea how long that may take. Hopefully I'm great right off the line!!! :P :lol:

I have no doubt you will be great, Kevin. Don't worry about dragging the team down. We'd mostly just there to shoot/practice together, hopefully improve our shooting, and get our name out there. Aside from that, the scores are tabulated for each individual shooter.

Fiddler
12-14-2004, 07:01 PM

IMHO
My idea of this team is to have a bunch of nice people gather together to have fun. Embrace the camaraderie and friendships. Pat on the back for successes. Help and reassurance for the almost successes. If we can do this, and happen to be in last place, I don’t care. If we can do this and be in first place, so much the better. I have found that if you feel that you have to be in first place to have fun, you are not really having as much fun as you could.

Well said, Paddy.

mitommy
12-15-2004, 08:34 AM

Don't worry about dragging down the team with low scores. I have not seen "team scoring." I think what is being proposed here is a group that will shoot together, help eachother, have fun together and promote MGO. If the concern was scores then the team would just recruit master shooters (the top classification in IDPA).

Fiddler
12-15-2004, 09:11 AM
Exactly. 8)

G22
12-15-2004, 09:36 AM
Cool. Thanks everyone.

So, eventually we'll get official Team MGO IDPA shirts?

I'm starting to get excited!!!

Fiddler
12-15-2004, 10:26 AM
Yes! It is pretty exciting, isn't it? :D

Okay, so does anyone know someone who can put together a good
T-shirt design for us?

mitommy
12-15-2004, 01:22 PM
Yes! It is pretty exciting, isn't it? :D

Okay, so does anyone know someone who can put together a good
T-shirt design for us?

How about for the "cool" months we just pick the same MGO hat?
That will give us a team look and raise a few cents for MOG at the same time. I'm not sure what we have available. When i looked under merchandise on the main board it came up as under construction.

Tallbear
12-15-2004, 01:31 PM
I can bring hats to the fun shoot for all to see.

Kouger
12-15-2004, 01:41 PM
evil grin

G22
12-15-2004, 01:45 PM
I have a MGO hat (and one or two of everything else MGO has except shirts), good idea Tommy.

Fiddler, perhaps the same company that did the original shirts could do this special limited eddition Team MGO shirts?!!

Maybe we could get a repeat offender discount :D

savedbydbelle
12-15-2004, 02:21 PM
I just realized that I cannot make the funn shoot :( . I have a prior committment...a pot luck dinner and movie which involves some savory vension!!!!

Tallbear
12-15-2004, 02:26 PM
I just realized that I cannot make the funn shoot :( . I have a prior committment...a pot luck dinner and movie which involves some savory vension!!!!

You could always bring some of the dinner with you to the range. :brow:

Fiddler
12-15-2004, 06:33 PM
I have a MGO hat (and one or two of everything else MGO has except shirts), good idea Tommy.

Fiddler, perhaps the same company that did the original shirts could do this special limited eddition Team MGO shirts?!!

Maybe we could get a repeat offender discount :D

I have a few different MGO hats as well, including the way cool stars and stripes hat. :flag:

I still really like the idea of team shirts, but we will figure it out.

A repeat offender discount could work, as long as you're not talking about the shirts that had the iron on transfers that washed out after one or two washings. :(

I have a lead on the original MGO apparel which I will be looking into.

Fiddler
12-15-2004, 06:35 PM

You could always bring some of the dinner with you to the range. :brow:

Yeah, that's the ticket! That wouldn't be savory fallow deer, would it? :D

G22
12-15-2004, 07:03 PM
A repeat offender discount could work, as long as you're not talking about the shirts that had the iron on transfers that washed out after one or two washings.

I had no idea, but something told me to stay away from the shirts.

I'm thinking something embroidered would last a long time, and look cool.
I don't mind paying a little extra for somthing that will last.

Mmmmmm Fallow Dear :D

Fiddler
12-15-2004, 07:06 PM
A repeat offender discount could work, as long as you're not talking about the shirts that had the iron on transfers that washed out after one or two washings.

I had no idea, but something told me to stay away from the shirts.

I'm thinking something embroidered would last a long time, and look cool.
I don't mind paying a little extra for somthing that will last.

Mmmmmm Fallow Dear :D

I agree, the embroidered shirts look really sharp. They're better quality all the way around. Would you want to go with an emboidered polo?

G22
12-16-2004, 08:31 AM
Polo's would make us look better but t-shirts are more comfortable to me and hot brass won't get stuck in the collar!!!

What does everyone else think?

mitommy
12-16-2004, 08:56 AM
I like polo shirts. Just go with a light weight and color & they are fine for the warmer months.

Another Idea is a patch of some kind to put on the concealment garmet. Since that is required for most matches and most people just leave them on, the shirt we wear will be mostly covered up.

Karen, one of the guys that shoots in the league at the Fireing Line has gotten shirts for that group. I know his first name is Chuck. I don't know how to contact him other than at the shoots. (I think he lives in Canton)

He might be able to help us out.

Roger Roney
12-16-2004, 02:27 PM
I'm not sure the question was "to do the artwork," or "to make the shirts."

If the latter, you could also check with Paul, Bowhunter4265. He does good quality silk screen stuff. Power Factors has always been happy with his work and pricing. All my stuff from him has been through many machine washings.

I know he is busy between work & hunting, so if you can't get hold of him here, PM me for his number.

Roger

Fiddler
12-16-2004, 07:53 PM
Thanks, Roger. I was thinking embroidered would be nice, but I will keep that in mind. It will depend on what the rest of the team wants to do, as well. I appreciate the tip. :D

Roger Roney
12-17-2004, 03:08 AM
I seem to remember that the Walleye Club (Lake St. Clair Walleye Assoc.) still gets very good prices on embroidered shirts, jackets, patches, and hats.

Meeting was last night, (Wed.,) so it will be a month before I can ask, but I will ask Alex if he can get a name and number this Monday at the BoD meeting.

Just another source to keep in mind.

Roger

P.S. G22, I know you're following this thread. Ya missed another good meeting AND the Chrstmas Potluck! Third Wed, of the month, 7:30 p.m., Eagles Hall, North side of 8 Mile, 150 feet West of Gratiot/White Castle's :D

R

G22
12-17-2004, 08:16 AM
I would prefer embroidered over silk screened if we can swing it. :wink:

P.S. G22, I know you're following this thread. Ya missed another good meeting AND the Chrstmas Potluck! Third Wed, of the month, 7:30 p.m., Eagles Hall, North side of 8 Mile, 150 feet West of Gratiot/White Castle's

I know, I've been really busy the end of this year. I only made 1 pin shoot :( & I did terrible :( It's been crazy & I'm still not done christmas shopping!!!

Can you PM me some info? when does the PF league start?
Thanks

Fiddler
12-18-2004, 10:29 AM
I like polo shirts. Just go with a light weight and color & they are fine for the warmer months.

Another Idea is a patch of some kind to put on the concealment garmet. Since that is required for most matches and most people just leave them on, the shirt we wear will be mostly covered up.

Karen, one of the guys that shoots in the league at the Fireing Line has gotten shirts for that group. I know his first name is Chuck. I don't know how to contact him other than at the shoots. (I think he lives in Canton)

He might be able to help us out.

Thanks, Tommy. I missed this earlier. (Sometimes it doesn't pay to try to read the board when you are in a hurry. )

Anyway, a patch on a concealment garment would also work. That's a good idea.

The Firing Line Fun League shirts looked pretty cool as well. That's another option.

Fiddler
12-18-2004, 10:32 AM
I would prefer embroidered over silk screened if we can swing it. :wink:

I agree wholeheartedly. Embroidered looks much nicer. Okay so far what I am seeing is that we seem to like the idea of MGO hats, embroidered shirts rather than silkscreen, and there's also an idea to do a patch on a cover garment. Any more comments?

Kouger
12-18-2004, 10:47 AM
there are several options that can be taken into considersation. you have to remember COST....the first order will be expensive.

with most first orders you will have a one time set up cost . depending on the firm/place or person you use and if it needs to be digitized or a simple camera ready art work you are looking at anywhere from 25 to 250 for set fees. who is going to cover this cost. the squad will change over the seasons and it is my thought the shooters shouldnt be paying this fee.

there are also shooters that dont say alot and will try their best to cover costs of shirts,hats,jackets and such that really cant afford it ( work is hard to come by for some) it all sounds good on the surface and should happen. but please tryto remember.its a cost factor in this too. by the time you figure in a gun and supplies plus clothing and so on.it will push more away than you may relize

I for one would love to be in on this. at this time in my life there is no way it can happen as mostof you know

sorry to be such a clummy gus but.a reality check maybe in order....

just something to think about

Fiddler
12-18-2004, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the advice, Kouger. I think we can keep this simple and still make it nice. We have a few offers to do the embroidery at cost, and we already have an MGO logo we can use on the shirts. The MGO hats already exist, and some if not all of us already own one. We can make a good showing without throwing down a lot money.

mitommy
12-19-2004, 11:35 AM
The next IDPA match at Tri-County (Saline) is scheduled for January 22nd. We had full squads yesterday (16 per shoot time) so it's not to eaarly to get your slots reserved.

Other match dates are:
February 26
March 26
April 23

(4th Saturday)

lee
12-22-2004, 10:38 AM
I have just read this post and would like to participate. I have attended three of Deputy's courses and believe I could add to this effort. My carry weapon is a Glock 27 but I also have a model 22 full size 40 cal. I have the equipment needed but I would need an introduction to the sport/procedure. I practice once a month but this would be better and fun all in one. I live in Dearborn. Is there room for this rookie? :?:

Jerry
12-22-2004, 05:43 PM
I also would like to check this out.

I have never shot at one of theser competions so I dont know what all is involved but I sure would like to see if I can do it.

I am gonna surf the web for awhile and see if I can do this if you have a link that I can check out I sure would appreciate it.

What are costs? amount of ammo needed entry fees?

Thanks JR

Brian
12-22-2004, 06:50 PM
Jerry

Check out www.idpa.com and look through the rule book and equipment lists. Chances are you already have what you need to shoot at an event.

I try to get to Lindens Sportsmans club as often as possible although this past year has been very busy for me. This coming year I would like to get to every shoot.

The MGO squad sounds great, maybe in the spring I'll be able to participate.

Jerry
12-22-2004, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the link Brian....I will check it out!

Thanks

Fiddler
12-22-2004, 08:46 PM
I have just read this post and would like to participate. I have attended three of Deputy's courses and believe I could add to this effort. My carry weapon is a Glock 27 but I also have a model 22 full size 40 cal. I have the equipment needed but I would need an introduction to the sport/procedure. I practice once a month but this would be better and fun all in one. I live in Dearborn. Is there room for this rookie? :?:

Absolutely! Welcome aboard! :D

Fiddler
12-22-2004, 08:57 PM
I also would like to check this out.

I have never shot at one of theser competions so I dont know what all is involved but I sure would like to see if I can do it.

I am gonna surf the web for awhile and see if I can do this if you have a link that I can check out I sure would appreciate it.

What are costs? amount of ammo needed entry fees?

Thanks JR

The more the merrier, Jerry. There are many options you can exercise to become acquainted with the sport. I just dove in with both feet. You will find that the S.O.'s at IDPA matches are very helpful with new shooters. In addition, one of our very own, MiTommy is an IDPA S.O. at Tri-County and has offered to help out. There are also usually a few introductory IDPA classes in the early spring to introduce new shooters to the sport and allow them to practice going through a few scenarios. A few of our members took the class last year. I will post the dates and locations when I know them. Finally, in addition to hosting excellent matches, as someone else mentioned earlier, Linden holds practice matches every week. I haven't had the opportunity to take advantage yet, but I have heard that it is very beneficial. It might even be a good idea to take the team up to Linden for some of the practice matches.

Fiddler
12-22-2004, 09:04 PM
Jerry

Check out www.idpa.com and look through the rule book and equipment lists. Chances are you already have what you need to shoot at an event.

I try to get to Lindens Sportsmans club as often as possible although this past year has been very busy for me. This coming year I would like to get to every shoot.

The MGO squad sounds great, maybe in the spring I'll be able to participate.

Thanks, Brian. Linden is a great idea. We'd love to have you on the squad.

G22
12-23-2004, 08:01 AM
I'm in 100% for practice!! 8)

mitommy
12-23-2004, 11:25 AM
I applaud the idea of wanting to practice, but each stage is different. The main thing to practice is SAFE gun handling and sight accusation. That can be done as part of a dry fire practice.

As a IDPA SO I see many new shooters that are not comfortable with drawing from a holster and that leads to some awkward gun handling. If anyone knows of a place to shoot, that allows for drawing from a holster, we could meet up and do some group coaching & practice. (I hear about a "pit" in Lapeer, but I've never been there) I could get my hands on some IDPA targets and some simple stages.

If anyone is off next week (I am) we could try to do something then. Just give me a few days notice.

Fiddler
12-23-2004, 12:45 PM
Tommy is right. Safety comes first, followed by basic gun handling skills and basic defensive shooting skills. It sounds like most everyone who has volunteered has had some advanced training, but a review sure couldn't hurt. I can certainly help with those skills as well if anyone needs it. Howell Gun Club does allow drawing from the holster, but we are only allowed to have a few guests at a time.

G22
01-06-2005, 09:18 AM
Taken from another board with permission from author.

To IDPA headquarters.

I have reviewed the new rule book and it is evident that a great deal of thought went into it. It is just as evident, however, that not as much thought went into how the rules would adversely affect the membership. Because of the rule change my daily carry equipment, which I also use in matches, is no longer IDPA approved. I am now in the position that I must buy new equipment specifically for competition if I wish to continue shooting IDPA matches, which I am unwilling to do.

Additionally, although not affecting me personally, the exclusion of the Uncle Mike’s kydex holster, by name, will affect a great many members. Fully half of the new shooters who join our local matches use these holsters. This exclusion will no doubt have a chilling affect on the growth of IDPA.

In light of these facts I have no choice but to immediately resign my membership in IDPA and request that the prorated amount of my yearly membership fee be refunded

Can someone post the rule book so I can see I my equipment is in compliance with their regulations?

thanks in advance :D

karcent
01-06-2005, 11:00 AM
http://www.idpa.com/rule_info.htm

mitommy
01-06-2005, 12:14 PM
Taken from another board with permission from author.

To IDPA headquarters.

I have reviewed the new rule book and it is evident that a great deal of thought went into it. It is just as evident, however, that not as much thought went into how the rules would adversely affect the membership. Because of the rule change my daily carry equipment, which I also use in matches, is no longer IDPA approved. I am now in the position that I must buy new equipment specifically for competition if I wish to continue shooting IDPA matches, which I am unwilling to do.

Additionally, although not affecting me personally, the exclusion of the Uncle Mike’s kydex holster, by name, will affect a great many members. Fully half of the new shooters who join our local matches use these holsters. This exclusion will no doubt have a chilling affect on the growth of IDPA.

In light of these facts I have no choice but to immediately resign my membership in IDPA and request that the prorated amount of my yearly membership fee be refunded

Can someone post the rule book so I can see I my equipment is in compliance with their regulations?

thanks in advance :D

The new book has only been out less than 1 day and already ther is a lot of discussion about the changes. The biggest issues center around the revolver classes (not many revolver shooters) and the new holster rules. I wouldn't rush out to buy anything new nor would I stop considering IDPA matches. Most of this stuff will take some time to sort out and there is even some indication from the IDPA HQ that a quick revision will happen before the book goes to "print."

Most local clubs will work with the shooter and their equipment as long as it does not create a safety problem. Let's not quit before we get started.

G22
01-06-2005, 12:26 PM
No no no, I wasn't even considering backing out.
I just wanted to make sure I had the right equipment before I go to a match & have them tell me I cant shoot.

If the clubs will work with you as long as their is no safety issue, that's great. Being new, I was unsure about how strictly they adhere to their rules.

And thanks for the link Kirt 8)

Kouger
01-06-2005, 12:42 PM
Kevin, Most clubs are very relaxed on rules as far as equipment goes for new shooters . biggest thing of course is saftey they dont budge on them. nor should they. you also have to remember there are more experanced shooters at these clubs that will help you out, guide you, give advice and "loan" you some things to get you start ( loans normally need to be returned that same day unless you can agree to buy it from shooter loaning)

Good Luck

Fiddler
01-06-2005, 01:15 PM
I agree wholeheartedly. They are not only flexible, but helpful. As some of you know, most of my holsters are designed for women. When I went to my first match, I had on a holster that was made specifically for me (offset) to test for Comp-Tac. Comp-Tac holsters in general are accepted in IDPA, but since no one had ever seen one like that before, I was concerned about whether or not it would be accepted. It was not only accepted, the match director called over a woman who has been shooting IDPA for a while to show me her holster for women as well! None of you guys will have to worry about that particular issue, but it just illustrates how flexible they are. They want you to be safe and successful.

Maranatha
01-06-2005, 07:29 PM
IDPA is coming out with a new Rule Book,

mitommy
01-07-2005, 07:27 AM
IDPA is coming out with a new Rule Book,

Welcome to 2005

alex-vitek
01-08-2005, 03:49 AM
Most of this stuff will take some time to sort out and there is even some indication from the IDPA HQ that a quick revision will happen before the book goes to "print."
Headquarters might be thinking about some revisions before the hard copy gets printed but the new rulebook is "in print" as soon as they released the .pdf file.

From what I have seen in some of the email lists and other msg boards there is a growing frustration with IDPA headquarters and with the rules.

Thankfully most local clubs and MDs and ROs are shooter friendly. As has already been mentioned they place safety first and a pleasant shooting experience before some silly rule about holsters or whatever.

Kimber45
01-08-2005, 09:12 AM
Thankfully most local clubs and MDs and ROs are shooter friendly. As has already been mentioned they place safety first and a pleasant shooting experience before some silly rule about holsters or whatever.

I'm an MD at Livingston Gun Club and a Chief Range Officer through USPSA. While I may question the wisdom of a rule I wonder how ignoring a rule for a given shooter benefits that shooter or the other shooters who follow the rule. E.G., a new shooter comes to your local club and is shooting production But, he has his magazine pouches on the front of his belt which is against the rules. You let it slide because he isn't going to win anyway, right? Next moth he decides to shoot at an area match. He sends in his $150 entry fee and drives 300 miles to get there. He goes to the line and the CRO, might even be me, dings him for the illegal equipment. He doesn't have replacements so he gets to go home. Bet he'll be happy that you let him slide.

Or, I'm shooting a club match and I'm shooting revolver. There is one other revolver shooter that day. I'm shooting my 625 and he is shooting a 627 eight shot. The rules allow you to load to capacity but you can only fire 6 shots before reloading. Silly right? But that gives the guy with the 627 a big advantage if the RO lets it slide.

The rules are there for safety AND to provide a level playing field. It is decidely unfair to apply some of the rules some of the time for some and not for others. It is decidely unfair to bring new shooters into the sport and to teach them the sport improperly.

A lot of IPSC shooters view gaming, the bending or ignoring the rules, as unsportsman like conduct. I'm one of those. I spend a lot of time learning the rules by which my sport is played so that every shooter who comes to the line under my direction has the same experience as every other shooter.

mitommy
01-08-2005, 11:42 AM
John, you make a good point. I know that you quoted Alex, but here is my take on things.

For a first time shooter my club tries to make every effort to let them shoot. Again safety is the first concern. if there is a issue that can be fixed at the moment, i.e. position of holster or mag carriers, we get that taken care of on the spot. If there is a problem with the actual holster or mag carrier (per the rules) we will inform them of the problem and suggest what they need before the next match.

Granted if each club takes that approach a shooter gould make it to several matches before making the necessary changes. Also, with the new rulebook and the holster rules I'm not sure we could make an informed suggeation. That will have to shake out with furether directions from HQ or the Area Coordinator. There is also a new rule about the mag carrriers covering 50% of the mag. That one is quite easy and I don't see a problem with shooters making a change.

BTW, I have had a lot of fun shooting at your club. (To bad your club shoots IPSC the day after I work all day at my club's IDPS match) Personaly I don't get into that IPSC vs IDPA trash talk. I would suggest that the MGO Squad might enjoy shooting both types of events. They are similar enought that people can do both. The best description I've heard of IPSC vs IDPA is that IPSC has less rules and more rounds (per match).

Kimber45
01-08-2005, 12:46 PM
True story - at the USPSA Nationals last year a friend of mine was CRO on one of the stages. David Sevigny - who is going to win Production whenever and where ever he shoots - gets to that stage. He has shot several already. When he comes to the line my friend tells him his holster does not conform to the rules. It is positioned so that no part of his grip is above the belt. Dave says okay and goes and makes the adjustment. My friend tells me that several other ROs are shocked that he would ding a world class shooter and Grand Master. He just said the rules apply to him too.

Fiddler
01-08-2005, 02:03 PM
That's a really neat story, and I think match directors and SO's need to adhere to the rules. Just to clarify, I wasn't proposing that anyone be above the rules, and I really don't think anyone here is going to get into the whole "gaming" thing. Of couse we all want to do our best, but I'd like to think that we are all participating for the fun, the learning experience and to get our name out there.

Personally, I read the rules online before I went to my first match, and I'm still learning. I was just trying to say that in the interest of encouraging more participation, and as part of the educational experience of shooting IDPA, the match directors and RSO's want to help and encourage new shooters, not discourage them the first time out. They do take the time to explain the rules, especially as they apply to safety, but unless the shooter commits a safety violation, they will allow the shooter to compete in order to get that first match under his/her belt (pardon the pun). I have seen them allow people to shoot their first time, but inform them of what they need to have the next time. I think Tommy said it best. For the first time shooter, they try to make every effort to let them shoot.

banjobart
03-31-2005, 10:50 AM
The match season is now upon us. Are you guys going to follow through? Big fun awaits those that do. The first Linden outdoor IDPA match of the season is this Saturday, April 2. There are always plenty of 1 PM start time slots avaiable for walkons at Linden but one needs to reserve a 9 AM start time if desired via email to the club.

Red Sector A
03-31-2005, 11:21 AM
The match season is now upon us. Are you guys going to follow through? Big fun awaits those that do. The first outdoor IDPA match of the season is this Saturday, April 2. There are always plenty of 1 PM start time slots avaiable for walkons at Linden but one needs to reserve a 9 AM start time if desired via email to the club.

Already shot my first IDPA of the season last weekend at TriCnty .. enjoyed it alot.. I have never tried it at Linden. Might check it out... not sure where it is and how far from me.. TriCnty is the closest and that is almost an hour away ....

~looks for Linden website~

Fiddler
04-01-2005, 12:29 AM
http://www.lindensportsmenclub.com/

I have not personally been to any of the shoots at Linden yet, but I understand they really know how to put on a match.

Brian
04-04-2005, 09:58 PM
I've shot at Linden for six years now. Shot the state match '01 and had a great time. I'm signed up for all of the '05 matches and shot the first one on Saturday. They put on a great match and I would encourage anyone interested to check it out.

Red Sector A
04-05-2005, 06:55 AM
Linden looks nice from what I see.. but it is a even longer haul than going to Tri-cnty! Who knows I might try Linden out one day.

mitommy
04-08-2005, 08:22 AM
Ok, I know that Karen started this idea and hos a LOT going on. Are we going to try to put something together? I know at my club the registrations fill up within days of opening. We would need to coordinate our registrations and could even ride share.

The schedule is pretty much as floowws:

1st Saturday - Linden
http://www.lindensportsmenclub.com/

2nd Saturday - Livingston Cconsevation & Sports Assoc.
http://www.lcsa.info/Default.asp?width=1024

4th Saturday - Tri-County
http://tri-countysportsmansleague.org/index.php

Last Saturday - Capitol City (some conflicts with Tri-County dates)
http://www.ccrifleclub.org

Also the 4th Sunday there is IPSC at Livingston Gun CLub
http://www.livingstongunclub.org/

(I think that most people that can shoot IDPA can shoot IPSC. I'm not sure what the class is called. Maybe Kimber45 or Keyjockey can comment)

I have an excel file that shows many of the IDPA, IPSC, and 3-Gun events in SE Michigan all on one page. If anyone is interested e-mail me at tlewandowski_98@yahoo.com & I can send it out to you.

I don't think we need to form a formal "team" with any big committments, but it would be nice to plan ahead and get squadded together. That way we could all help eachother out and have a good time.

BTW, if you want to "watch" an IDPA match there is Saturday April 9th @ Livingston Cconsevation & Sports Assoc. (I'm shooting at 11am)

Fiddler
04-08-2005, 08:50 AM
Thank you so much for compiling this info, Tommy. You are right, I am still very interested in doing this, but I'm keeping pretty busy! Is there someone who would be willing to coordinate this, at least until things slow down for me? Tommy? :D

mitommy
04-08-2005, 10:41 AM
I am willing to help get started.
I'm not sure What the steps should be. There was some talk about wanting to do some practice / lessons. There aren't a lot of opportunities to practice drawing from a holster. I could bring my timer and get some targets & stands. Those of us that have shot matches could share our experiences and help coach new shooters.

I think we could set something up at the "pit" in Lapeer for next Sunday (April 17th). A second date option, for me, would be Saturday April 30th. Then we would be ready to go for the May matches.

Is anyone interested?
Which date is better?
Is the "pit" ok, or is there another location?

Brian
04-08-2005, 05:53 PM
The pit in Lapeer? send me directions and a date and I'll see if I can make it. I'll bring my timer and some targets, we could get a couple lanes set up.

mitommy
04-15-2005, 08:46 AM
I am willing to help get started.
I'm not sure What the steps should be. There was some talk about wanting to do some practice / lessons. There aren't a lot of opportunities to practice drawing from a holster. I could bring my timer and get some targets & stands. Those of us that have shot matches could share our experiences and help coach new shooters.

I think we could set something up at the "pit" in Lapeer for next Sunday (April 17th). A second date option, for me, would be Saturday April 30th. Then we would be ready to go for the May matches.

Is anyone interested?
Which date is better?
Is the "pit" ok, or is there another location?

No interest for this weekend.
That's what happens when the weather get nice.

banjobart
04-19-2005, 01:53 PM
An IDPA Match will be held at Capitol City Rifle Club (CCRC) this Saturday, April 23. Show up at 8:30 AM or at Noon to shoot, or you may shoot both times. $20 for the first run and $10 for a second run.

CCRC is located 4 miles north of Williamston just off Williamston Rd. at 1819 Germany Rd. The Williamston I-96 exit is between Howell and Lansing.

Five stages of run and gun fun. The public is invited.

sprink
04-19-2005, 07:01 PM
Sorry, working Saturday, but I will be at Livingston Sunday the 24th for the "special classifier match".