View Full Version : Pro's and Con's

Bernie Metten
10-02-2010, 11:50 AM
I would like to hear the Pro's and Con's on carrying a 1911 style pistol in the
Locked and Cocked position !!!!

Sefner
10-02-2010, 12:31 PM
Pros:
-No need to cock the firearm or rack the slide upon drawn, just put put your hand in the natural drawing position and your thumb disengages the safety naturally... you are shooting with your thumb on the safety, right? :p This makes the draw extremely easy and quick. The thumb safety blocks the sear, incidentally.

-Extremely safe. 1911s also have a grip safety that prevent the trigger from being pulled and most new ones have a firing pin block that prevents the firing pin from hitting the primer even if the hammer were to drop accidentally (this safety is disengaged during use obviously, by I think the trigger safety) or the pistol were to be jarred as if by being dropped.

Cons:
-You have to disengage a safety. In a "situation" you may not think of this if you're not trained or practiced with a draw in which you naturally disengage the safety without thinking about it. But you are practicing, right? :p Contrast this with say a Glock in which the user doesn't have to fumble with a safety or forget to disengage it.

-Some people think it's not safe. I will let those people make that argument.

-You may forget the engage the thumb safety (thus you are just "cocked"). But you are practicing (right?) so this shouldn't happen. But even if it does you still have the grip, trigger, and firing pin block safeties.

michigan_rkba
10-03-2010, 05:43 PM
There is no other way to carry it that leaves it in a safe and ready state. This has been beat to death online and in the gun rags for decades...

mechredd
10-03-2010, 06:13 PM
Sefner covered it nicely.
I'd like to add that the 1911's hammer and beaver tale often poke people in the side while carrying. Some people don't have an issue with this, but other do. I personally would carry my 1911 if it wasn't for this.

Shyster
10-03-2010, 07:09 PM
Sefner covered it nicely.
I'd like to add that the 1911's hammer and beaver tale often poke people in the side while carrying. Some people don't have an issue with this, but other do. I personally would carry my 1911 if it wasn't for this.
Get the right holster and this becomes a non-issue. I have a Supertuck and no problem.

langenc
10-04-2010, 08:07 PM
There is no other way to carry it that leaves it in a safe and ready state.
quoted from post #3

Mine, a Para, is a lot safer than those without a safety!! I have a grip safety, manual safety and a looonnng trigger pull (LDA).

aaron
10-14-2010, 12:59 AM
If you're not comfortable carrying a 1911 in Condition 1, the 1911 probably isn't the gun for you.

maricar
01-20-2011, 08:59 AM
I agree that 1911s also have a grip safety that prevent the trigger.

michigan_rkba
01-20-2011, 09:19 AM
You'd think that after 100 years we would have resolved this issue and wouldn't have to keep asking stupid questions about it...

cwo4uscgret
01-20-2011, 10:43 AM
Pros: you are carrying one of the safest, best designed, and easiest to maintain hand guns ever invented.

Con: none that I can think of

Advice: as already given; no matter what gun, in whatever condition you are carrying in...practice, practice, practice.

Glocker326
01-20-2011, 11:00 AM
You'd think that after 100 years we would have resolved this issue and wouldn't have to keep asking stupid questions about it...
I think when it comes to safety there is no stupid questions ask away.

agroomes1
01-20-2011, 12:08 PM
Trust your training and the safety between your ears. Thats the only one that really matters.

dracothered
03-10-2011, 12:17 AM

Hey not everyone has heard of the history of the 1911 and it's safety. For some it isn't a straight forward thing because they where taught not to carry their gun cocked and locked like you do with a 1911.

So in the end it really isn't a stupid question....

snapshotdod
03-10-2011, 12:37 AM
My suggestion to build up comfort, is load up w/ some snap caps, or even just on an empty chamber, and carry the gun around in your holster, and see if the hammer drops for any reason, after doing this a few times you will begin to realize that the gun is not going to blast off without your say so.
Pros-Rock and Roll Ready
Cons-Limited options of carry conditions, as locked and cocked is the only way...
Real con though if your lazy, as others say, practice and training required.

sullyxlh
03-10-2011, 10:16 AM
Why even locked?

dracothered
03-10-2011, 12:32 PM
Why even locked?

Are you asking why would you put it on safe. To be fairly honest it is fully cocked and if your finger slips onto that trigger as you are pulling it out of the holster or putting it back in you may find you will hear a big bang and a hole where it shouldn't be. I really don't care to take that chance myself.

sullyxlh
03-13-2011, 08:29 AM
Are you asking why would you put it on safe. To be fairly honest it is fully cocked and if your finger slips onto that trigger as you are pulling it out of the holster or putting it back in you may find you will hear a big bang and a hole where it shouldn't be. I really don't care to take that chance myself.Finger slips onto the trigger???
That's :bs:
My finger wouldn't slip onto a trigger with a 1911 no more than it would
onto my Glock or Sig trigger or a revolver trigger for that matter too.
Hell the finger doesn't even go into the trigger guard let alone it slipping onto the trigger.

JohnS624
03-13-2011, 11:09 AM
I don't understand what all the concern with cocked and locked. Isn't that the way that we carry our shotguns and rifles when hunting?

71commander
03-14-2011, 07:13 AM
Finger slips onto the trigger???
That's :bs:
My finger wouldn't slip onto a trigger with a 1911 no more than it would
onto my Glock or Sig trigger or a revolver trigger for that matter too.
Hell the finger doesn't even go into the trigger guard let alone it slipping onto the trigger.

I hear you. The grip safety on all of my 1911's have been disengaged.

RevDerb
03-14-2011, 04:44 PM
You'd think that after 100 years we would have resolved this issue and wouldn't have to keep asking stupid questions about it...Do you seriously believe that everyone in and out of the gun world is aware that this conversation has taken place many times over? Not everyone was born with the full knowledge of all that is to be known about gun ownership so they ask questions. Let's not discourage those of us who are less knowledgeable on any given subject just because others have already asked and know the answers. :tsk:

JohnJak
03-14-2011, 06:10 PM
Be nice, he's only asking a question.

dracothered
03-14-2011, 07:57 PM
Do you seriously believe that everyone in and out of the gun world is aware that this conversation has taken place many times over? Not everyone was born with the full knowledge of all that is to be known about gun ownership so they ask questions. Let's not discourage those of us who are less knowledgeable on any given subject just because others have already asked and know the answers. :tsk:

I would also like to add that some may find it perfectly fine to carry their 1911 cocked but not locked. I think it is better to advocate using the safeties that are on the gun and the safety between our ears. I know that at least a few will say that their finger will never slip into the trigger area until they are ready to shoot (maybe it never will, but safety should always be taught).

Teach safety always, you can still tell how you carry your 1911. But please also stress that it is better to be safe even if you think it may be a bunch of bull *******.

Roadie
03-23-2011, 12:11 AM
Do you seriously believe that everyone in and out of the gun world is aware that this conversation has taken place many times over? Not everyone was born with the full knowledge of all that is to be known about gun ownership so they ask questions. Let's not discourage those of us who are less knowledgeable on any given subject just because others have already asked and know the answers. :tsk:

Well, right, but how many times do you have to answer the same question before it gets old?

If you wanna know about how to carry a 1911, go buy one, try it out, do some research, shoot various guns, find what works for you, go to the range, spend a few bills on ammo Hanging around asking general questions on the internet is no help for him, and a waste of your time.

Just a little rant about people who think that sitting in front of their computer is a substitute for real life. Go play video games, and stop bothering people who actually get off their butts.

dracothered
03-23-2011, 12:42 AM
Well, right, but how many times do you have to answer the same question before it gets old?

If you wanna know about how to carry a 1911, go buy one, try it out, do some research, shoot various guns, find what works for you, go to the range, spend a few bills on ammo Hanging around asking general questions on the internet is no help for him, and a waste of your time.

Just a little rant about people who think that sitting in front of their computer is a substitute for real life. Go play video games, and stop bothering people who actually get off their butts.

WOW, just because the OP asked a question that has been asked many times before doesn't mean they don't get up and go to the range. Maybe it is his first 1911 or is thinking about getting one. Besides not all here have learned about guns since they were little or even had the chance to learn.

Roadie
03-23-2011, 01:48 AM
WOW, just because the OP asked a question that has been asked many times before doesn't mean they don't get up and go to the range. Maybe it is his first 1911 or is thinking about getting one. Besides not all here have learned about guns since they were little or even had the chance to learn.

Give me a break. If you want to know how a 1911 works, buy one, shoot one, carry one. Ammo is not cheap. Ever think of that? I have no problem helping someone who helps themselves. Dumbass.

durus5995
03-23-2011, 03:34 AM
Give me a break. If you want to know how a 1911 works, buy one, shoot one, carry one. Ammo is not cheap. Ever think of that? I have no problem helping someone who helps themselves. Dumbass.

Thats the thing I made a Springfield GI my first pistol a few years back and I didnt know crap about crap. I used it for my WWII reenactments that I go to and I had a reporduction holster. Having no concept of handguns I remember thinking "How did they holster these things with out having the slide move all around". Man those were dark times of ignorance and I think its our responsiblity to educate no matter if we consider the question "stupid".

Its just like a certain gun podcast that I listen to some one sent in an email saying for those who are afraid of carrying a live round in the chamber why not use a blank round so that way when you fire the first time it just goes bang and loads the next round. The hosts as well as my jaw hit the floor. Be sides a blank round not being able to cycle a pistol with out a blank adapter this is the mentality of new shooters. We are in a time where there are more new shooters than ever before and this is their mentality due to ignorance.

I am glad I was able to find some good advice and info along the way or who knows where I might be today.

dracothered
03-23-2011, 10:13 AM
Thats the thing I made a Springfield GI my first pistol a few years back and I didnt know crap about crap. I used it for my WWII reenactments that I go to and I had a reporduction holster. Having no concept of handguns I remember thinking "How did they holster these things with out having the slide move all around". Man those were dark times of ignorance and I think its our responsiblity to educate no matter if we consider the question "stupid".

Its just like a certain gun podcast that I listen to some one sent in an email saying for those who are afraid of carrying a live round in the chamber why not use a blank round so that way when you fire the first time it just goes bang and loads the next round. The hosts as well as my jaw hit the floor. Be sides a blank round not being able to cycle a pistol with out a blank adapter this is the mentality of new shooters. We are in a time where there are more new shooters than ever before and this is their mentality due to ignorance.

I am glad I was able to find some good advice and info along the way or who knows where I might be today.

That is my point, I may know about and have learned how to carry the 1911, but that doesn't mean I should think that others do. Also some 1911 are not pure in their design as far as I know. My understanding a pure 1911 is a SAO (single action only) pistol which mean if you want to carry a live round in the chamber you need to carry cocked and locked (though some here think the locked part isn't needed, but that is their beliefs) to be safe. The only way around this is to not have a round in the chamber. If you carry the last way you have to take the time to rack the slide when the bad guy is already starting to shoot at you.

To Roadie I am insulted by you calling me a dumb-a##. We are on this forum to educate those that don't know. If you don't like the question and you think it is below you then don't answer it and don't call others a dumb-a## for not knowing. When you act this way it turns off others to wanting to carry or it turns them against gun rights to carry.

PaulB84
03-25-2011, 03:38 AM
If you're not comfortable carrying a 1911 in Condition 1, the 1911 probably isn't the gun for you.

this is right on. bear in mind that most handguns in any reasonable state of readiness are going to have a spring-tensioned device pointed squarely at the primer of the chambered round.

In other words, whether striker or hammer, glock, 1911, M&P or whatever, there IS a hammer/tensioned firing pin and it IS "cocked"

If this is a problem for you comfort wise, take a look at a DA/SA like a Sig, HK or any smith, ruger or colt double action revolver.

dracothered
03-25-2011, 10:05 AM
this is right on. bear in mind that most handguns in any reasonable state of readiness are going to have a spring-tensioned device pointed squarely at the primer of the chambered round.

In other words, whether striker or hammer, glock, 1911, M&P or whatever, there IS a hammer/tensioned firing pin and it IS "cocked"

If this is a problem for you comfort wise, take a look at a DA/SA like a Sig, HK or any smith, ruger or colt double action revolver.

I know at least one Sig that is SAO which is the P238.

Tom S.
03-26-2011, 10:26 AM
Why even locked?

There have been documented cases of gun owners being saved when their gun was taken by someone who then tried to shoot them and couldn't because they didn't know about disengaging the safety. Not something that's likely to happen - but it has happened.

I'm old school on this, and was taught to carry cocked and locked. It also adds a level of safety should the firearm be accidentally dropped, especially on model 70's. Let me add, incase you aren't familier with 1911's, the single action trigger is often 3 lbs or less, which is extemely light when compared to guns like Glocks and Sigs. So even a mistaken brush on the trigger could result in a discharge unless the safety is on.

IMHO, the 1911 is not a good self defense weapon for a person who is not willing to spend a lot of time practicing, but I won't go into that here.

Dabears!
03-29-2011, 12:15 PM
I agree that 1911s also have a grip safety that prevent the trigger.

how can you disagree to that? it is not up for debate....
It is a part of the design of the gun...