PDA

View Full Version : Does storing ammo in freezing temperatures damage it.

lee
12-08-2004, 08:12 PM
I have now started storing my homeland defense rifles in multiple secure locations for practical reasons. At one site it is not heated when we are not there and it can get below freezing. How does freezing affect ammo? Does it affect shelf life or accuracy? Many thanks for the replies!!

Scoop
12-09-2004, 10:52 AM
I have now started storing my homeland defense rifles in multiple secure locations for practical reasons. At one site it is not heated when we are not there and it can get below freezing. How does freezing affect ammo? Does it affect shelf life or accuracy? Many thanks for the replies!!

Please identify the EXACT location of your firearms. I will gladly "investigate" the situations and ... (cough!) ... get back to you.

Feel free to email DIRECTLY, as we wouldn't want someone else to get to them first ... err ... cough ... be bothered with all that work ...

:D

On a serious note -- do these locations remain below freezing 24x7x52, or just during the winter months? With the freezing/thawing cycles, one would need to deal with the condensation issue.

lee
12-09-2004, 12:00 PM
To answer your question Scoop . The locations are homes that have the heat turned off while not occupied. The ammo is protected from the elements but get cold and hot as the outside temp changes. Since these homes are used as cottages, they are mostly occupied during the summer. The ammo does not get above 80 F. but gets cold as 0 F. I know this is not an optimal arangement but I cant afford to heat the places. I also don't want all my eggs in one basket. All weapons are secured and locked . I cant afford armory's with controlled environments like some people named Sam can. :shock:

karcent
12-09-2004, 01:22 PM
Your ammo will be fine. It will withstand many repeated freeze/thaw cycles with no ill effect.

Divegeek
12-09-2004, 03:56 PM
Sounds like your best bet would be to put it in an airtight ammo box with a package of dessicant to dry out the air inside.

jr-vass
12-09-2004, 06:00 PM
Sounds like your best bet would be to put it in an airtight ammo box with a package of dessicant to dry out the air inside.

Ditto. Although a Vet from Korea may be able to give their 2 cents.

Airtight ammo cans are available at surplus stores fairly cheaply.

James

joen
12-10-2004, 08:15 AM
I've had some WWII ammo in bandoleers stored in various garages over the years and it works just fine. I believe the main thing is keeping it dry and not handling it in order to prevent corroision. Likewise, I have the same scenario with various powders and primers. Keeping the caps tight on the containers and avoiding moisture, the powder should be good for quite a while. Now with primers, I've found those stored out in the open have a tendency to produce questionable ignition. Those stored in air tight containers ie; ammo cans, work as advertised. I always get fresh primers for serious loading saving the questionable stuff for plinkers.

karcent
12-10-2004, 09:04 AM
If the temp change is gradual, condensation is not a problem. Concensation occurs when the temp change is broad and fast.
Keeping it in a sealed container is always a good idea. Old ammo cans are cheap and plentiful.

lee
12-11-2004, 03:14 PM
Thankyou everybody who answered. I appreciate it . Also, I hope I have motivated some of you to rethink your storage practices. I'm coining a new phrase "tactical storage practices" . All my eggs won't be in one basket any more. On the negative side , it costs money to properly and safely store in multiple locations. I plan on removing key components like bolts or FCG's and hiding them. The rest of the gun will be in a locked container and then a cable lock itself on the gun. The ammo will be separated and stored away from the locked gun. I'm going to take your suggestion and use locakable weatherproof 50 cal amo boxes.