PDA

View Full Version : Moving a Safe to the Basement

adawg
10-04-2010, 11:45 AM
So I am looking to buy a gun safe, but will need to move it into my basement. I am looking at the Cannon 6040, which is 700 pounds.

I really don't want to move this thing myself, but am having trouble finding someeone to move it for me. Anyone know of a mover in the Livingston County area that can move something like that for me?

I've called around, but the few people I've gotten on the phone tell me they max out at 600 pounds.

Any leads are appreciated!

Shyster
10-04-2010, 11:46 AM
Able Safe in Warren. This is exactly what they do.

RPMO6
10-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Piano movers also will help if there is one in your area.

7.62 Nato
10-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Most safes have lift off hinge pins. Removing the door will divide the weight about in half. Also, they go down steps a lot easier than up.

adawg
10-04-2010, 12:07 PM
I'll have to look into Able, although I'm guessing they will tell me they are too far out to service my area.

I called Cannon and unfortunately, the doors are not removeable. :(

Fuel Fire Desire
10-04-2010, 12:09 PM
700 lbs isnt too heavy. If you were in the 1000-2000lb range I would worry about destroying your sub floor and stairs. I know a guy who owned a crane company, and on more than a few occasions he was hired to lift a safe off a truck and drop in into the basement through a hole cut in the roof and sub floor.

I dont think you have to worry about that though. :D

RifleGuy
10-04-2010, 12:10 PM
2 friends whom you trust and an appliance dolly.

It's not overly difficult; work slow & use the straps. As 7.62 NATO said, down is easy. Up is when the work begins!

Juggernaut
10-04-2010, 12:11 PM
If you have humidity issues in the basement, get a rod!!!

G22
10-04-2010, 12:11 PM
Able Safe in Warren. This is exactly what they do.

+1 For Able. Did a great job for me.

BUCKSHOT74
10-04-2010, 08:15 PM
when you get safe in basement, put 2x4 under it for vapor barrier.
you will have less moisture problems.
golden rod or small 8 watt light, to keep it dry.

Made_in_Michigan
10-04-2010, 08:48 PM
when you get safe in basement, put 2x4 under it for vapor barrier.
you will have less moisture problems.
golden rod or small 8 watt light, to keep it dry.

I've now seen two placed in the basement right on top of the pallet they were delivered on. Seemed to me like a good idea in case you ever wanted to move it yourself after installation. (Plus in the basement, that extra 4 inches will save the day on most minor flooding issues. (broken pipe, busted water heater, overflowing toilet etc. etc...))

Joerockhead
10-05-2010, 08:59 PM
2 friends whom you trust and an appliance dolly.

It's not overly difficult; work slow & use the straps. As 7.62 NATO said, down is easy. Up is when the work begins!

Make sure the guys on the bottom end of the safe don't owe you any money.....( just in-case she slips !!!!! ouch !!!!

Last safe I moved to the basement stayed with the house when we sold !!!!!
Made a small cash deal on the side .... bought a new safe ....

Leaving it on the pallet is a great idea if you have room in the stairwell..

Signess
10-06-2010, 05:57 AM
700 lbs isnt too heavy. If you were in the 1000-2000lb range I would worry about destroying your sub floor and stairs. I know a guy who owned a crane company, and on more than a few occasions he was hired to lift a safe off a truck and drop in into the basement through a hole cut in the roof and sub floor.

I dont think you have to worry about that though. :D

Being a contractor, I cannot emphasize enough on how much extra work and extra money a safe just cost said individuals.

adawg
10-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Can't get a response from Able. Not sure if they aren't responding due to distance or the fact that I am buying the safe elsewhere. I'm going to try 1 more time, but hope I can find someone else. I don't want to move this myself.

NickS
10-06-2010, 06:59 PM
Can't get a response from Able. Not sure if they aren't responding due to distance or the fact that I am buying the safe elsewhere. I'm going to try 1 more time, but hope I can find someone else. I don't want to move this myself.

They are closed Sundays and Mondays.

Shyster
10-06-2010, 07:51 PM
When they delivered my safe (Riverview) the boss stated their next delivery was going to Bay City. The distance will not be an issue.

IIRC they have pretty weird hours though.

Also, they will deliver anyone's safe, not just the ones they sell. I think they charge the same. Cost to put a very large Liberty in my basement with a middle-high degree of difficulty was $300 and it was money well spent. They spent an hour prepping my house so that nothing would get damaged.

Fuel Fire Desire
10-06-2010, 08:06 PM
When they delivered my safe (Riverview) the boss stated their next delivery was going to Bay City. The distance will not be an issue.

IIRC they have pretty weird hours though.

Also, they will deliver anyone's safe, not just the ones they sell. I think they charge the same. Cost to put a very large Liberty in my basement with a middle-high degree of difficulty was $300 and it was money well spent. They spent an hour prepping my house so that nothing would get damaged.

$300 is a damn deal. I figured they would charge nearly twice that. Moving a washing machine into my basement is already a huge PITA....I cant imagine a 5' tall block of steel.

councilman24
10-07-2010, 11:45 PM
Mine went down on an appliance dolly a whole lot easier than it came up. No damn handles on the thing.

Don't think of it as going down the steps, think of it as dropping one step at a time.;)

Until you go rent vacuum handles (if its a shiny safe). The handles and four college kids made getting it out pretty easy.

bad86ta
10-08-2010, 12:40 AM
Hire it done...

3 of us moved my 660 pound liberty safe up a floor of stairs and what a job it was... I would have gladly paid someone a couple hundred bucks to move it if I could do it over again...

I found that my safe was taller then the appliance dolly we were using therefore my wrist were supporting most of the weight... I was in alot of pain for a few weeks after moving this....

One thing I can say is that this safe will be sold with the house as I have NO desire to move it again....

Signess
10-08-2010, 07:17 AM
One thing I can say is that this safe will be sold with the house as I have NO desire to move it again....

:rofl:

YZR
10-09-2010, 01:42 PM
I agree with the "hire it done" crowd. I just moved a 500 pounder up 2 1/2 stairs and it was not that easy (although we did get it done). Moving a 700 pound beast down into a basement sounds like a job for the pros!

rquack
10-13-2010, 10:23 AM
I strongly recommend reinforcing the stairs from underneath. The purchase of a few 2x4s at Home Depot and a box of screws and the investment of an hour or so can prevent the collapse of the stair structure when all of that weight is sitting dead in the middle of it. One additional support will add significant strength to the structure, two or three will add even more. Be careful, do it right.

7.62 Nato
10-13-2010, 10:40 AM
That 6040 looks like a good safe. I don't know what prices you've been quoted but I see it here http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/safes/cannon-ts6040-wide-body-gun-safe-3910204 for $999.
They also have the 6030 for $599. http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/safes/cannon-safe-ts6030-gun-safe-3809071

adawg
10-13-2010, 09:31 PM
TSC is where I plan to get it. They have it on sale for $799 pretty regularly. Luckily it is not on sale right now, or else I'd have to decide on it or the new hot water heater I need :)

dpgperftest
10-13-2010, 09:46 PM
I have moved two 500lbs to the basment for people never a 700lbs :hide:

7.62 Nato
10-14-2010, 11:21 AM
TSC is where I plan to get it. They have it on sale for $799 pretty regularly. Luckily it is not on sale right now, or else I'd have to decide on it or the new hot water heater I need :)
That's a good deal. Be sure to post when they have the sale. I'm sure others will be interested. I was impressed by this, "•Free safe repair or replacement after fire, natural flood or burglary attack".

Groo
10-21-2010, 09:50 AM
I strongly recommend reinforcing the stairs from underneath. The purchase of a few 2x4s at Home Depot and a box of screws and the investment of an hour or so can prevent the collapse of the stair structure when all of that weight is sitting dead in the middle of it. One additional support will add significant strength to the structure, two or three will add even more. Be careful, do it right.

Have you ever actually heard of this happening?

a stairway can handle 700 lbs no problem. I've carried loads up and down multiple stariways where my weight and the weight of my load topped 700 lbs.

also remember that a safe will probably be laid down distributing the weight over a larger area.

If you've got a straight shot from an exterior door and the stairway, a winch or a come-along should make the job fairly easy.

dpgperftest
10-21-2010, 09:10 PM
Have you ever actually heard of this happening?

a stairway can handle 700 lbs no problem. I've carried loads up and down multiple stariways where my weight and the weight of my load topped 700 lbs.

also remember that a safe will probably be laid down distributing the weight over a larger area.

If you've got a straight shot from an exterior door and the stairway, a winch or a come-along should make the job fairly easy.
:lipseal: :lipseal: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Groo
10-21-2010, 11:21 PM
:lipseal: :lipseal: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

I never once claimed I was not a major fat-ass, and I am much heavier than people would think looking at me. But the point remains; not one unexpected trip to the basement.

Darminator
10-22-2010, 05:44 AM

Most definitely. My grandfather and father broke every step on the way down into the basement. The safe's been there over 25 years.

Groo
10-22-2010, 10:11 AM
Most definitely. My grandfather and father broke every step on the way down into the basement. The safe's been there over 25 years.

that the treads that he probably impact and point loaded. reinforcing the structure wouldn't help with that. you can lay down a big plank to slide the safe up or down if you are woried about damaging the treads.

Tree rat
10-28-2010, 08:11 AM
2x10's, a load sling, rope and or winch/come-a-long.

Lay the 2x10's on the flat full length of the stairs. Be sure to be wide enough for the safe. Two or three wide. You could put some 1x's on edge to protect the sides of the stairwell if you think it will walk. I've never had that issue.

Lay the safe flat on its back on the landing. Bottom towards the basement. (this will make life easy after it is down there) Secure the safe with your chosen method of lowering it. Work it over the edge carefully and slide it down the stairs on the 2x10's. Stand it up at the bottom and dolly it in place.

No bump, bump, bump, on the way down and easier on the backs of your labor force.

Remving the door is the best if possible. Slide the door down the same way.

Nice straight shot the to outside stairs are the bomb. A pickup truck makes a for a good mule to control the slide down.

My rule is once a safe is in the basement it is permanent.

Mutliple landings or stairs with a turn in the middle are out of my league. (or at least willingness to try)

johnzilla
10-28-2010, 12:59 PM
+1 For Able. Did a great job for me.

+2. No muss, no fuss, the guy was in and out in no time and after he was gone you couldn't tell he had been there.

Extra plus for them from me because they made sure they didn't show up with a giant box on their truck that screamed "GUN SAFE - 30 GUNS" in big letters. Truck was unmarked, and the safe was completely covered in padded tarps. For all anyone knew (neighbors, etc) I was getting a used fridge. Incognito is best for security!

JohnnieBravo
10-28-2010, 02:38 PM
Howard safe moving just moved a Presidental 50 and 40 into my basement 2 weeks ago and those safes are 1000 lbs plus. Price was better than Able.

bebrown1075
10-29-2010, 09:34 PM
+1 for Howard Safe. They moved by Big Horn that I got from Chewy over the summer. They also moved a friend of mines safe too.

G22
10-31-2010, 12:30 PM
Howard safe moving just moved a Presidental 50 and 40 into my basement 2 weeks ago and those safes are 1000 lbs plus. Price was better than Able.

+1 for Howard Safe. They moved by Big Horn that I got from Chewy over the summer. They also moved a friend of mines safe too.

Good to know, thanks.

What did they use to get it into the basement?

Able used an electric dolly with rubber tracks. It went very smoothly with 2 people. The safe is over 850lbs empty.

Mike in Michigan
11-07-2010, 11:28 AM
I once had to remove something very, very heavy from a basement by myself. Time was critical and my usual gang of helpers were unavailable. I braced the steps from beneath with vertical 2x4's. Then attached L-shaped rails made from 2x4's over the steps from basement floor to upper landing. The rails spaced to fit a low cart I fabricated. I covered the landing with plywood false floor to prevent damage to the finished flooring. Secured the item to the cart with ratchet straps. Secured one end of a stout line to the cart and the other to the frame of my trusty F-150 and hauled it up. No reason this process, or a variation, cannot work getting a safe down the stairs. In a pinch, if the safe is secured to a heavy duty appliance dolly, you could slide it down on the dolly back. Attaching some 2x's to act as slider rails would spread the load across the steps but I would still brace them from below with vertical 2x's. Better a little extra work now, than the look on your wife's face when you tell her you have to replace the broken stairs.

gohuskers
12-09-2010, 11:02 AM
did this last week. it's not bad if you have enough guys, and like the other posters said, use an appliance dolly with stair glides. if you can take the door off, which is where a LOT of the weight is, you'll be ahead of the game. safety first. if you don't feel comfortable doing it, then hire safe movers.

Jackam
12-18-2010, 05:39 PM
Today I bought a used safe from a member of this forum. Good deal, very nice safe. It was a 500 pounder in a basement. :(

I rented an appliance dolly from U-haul and a dozen moving blankets for about $20.

We strapped the safe to the dolly, put three guys at the bottom of the safe as pushers (one was simply a backup - because of limited room in the stairway, he basically watched.)
Three of us were the pullers on the top. We ran a tow strap through the dolly and two of us pulled on the strap. The third puller was right at the dolly.

It came up the stairs EASY! We loaded it, dolly and all, onto a pickup truck and away we went.

We backed the truck into my garage and unloaded the safe. Once again, we attached the tow strap to the dolly. We used a come-a-long (attached to the trailer hitch on the truck) and simply lowered it down the stairs. Everybody just stood back while I ratcheted it and let the safe slide, inch by steady inch, down the stairs. SO EASY.

This went FAR better than I expected it to. The only thing I might have done differently is saved the $5 and not rented so many moving blankets.

shenny88
12-23-2010, 08:01 PM
depending on the size and weight, it would be cool to have one built into a wall and slightly elevated off of the ground.